Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
My dtr got charged $1 for a picture text (iMessage was temporarily inactivated for some reason). Going to have to call Fido and confirm text is disabled, was setup that way. Went into settings to prevent it also.
Apr 24, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes
Kevinck wrote: I've had since last september and i tether all the time. Android phone with fido sim. Tablet with wifi. Turn on android hotspot on phone, connect to android hotspot with tablet. Use internet with tablet. No restrictions.
The key here is this is a new policy. Old plans I'm aware had tethering.
Aug 5, 2008
808 posts
602 upvotes
boogerlad2 wrote:
The key here is this is a new policy. Old plans I'm aware had tethering.
Since when? I just got this plan less than a month ago and I can use the tablet to hotspot my phone. I haven't tried the other way though (Putting tablet SIM in phone and hotspotting phone to tablet).
Last edited by cutey130 on May 15th, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 24, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes
I had a live chat with them and she essentially said "all plans are individualised personally for each client. I contacted the tech team to unlock tethering for you but that is not an option. sorry" Maybe I need to complain in store.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
boogerlad2 wrote: I had a live chat with them and she essentially said "all plans are individualised personally for each client. I contacted the tech team to unlock tethering for you but that is not an option. sorry" Maybe I need to complain in store.
New plans can't tether now?
Apr 24, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes
Seems so, even though it wasn't mentioned on the contract. Best to test and confirm with them in store before you do it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
when you guys say tethering do you mean creating a wifi hotspot for other devices to connect? if so, it still works for me
teksavvy sucks
Aug 27, 2012
648 posts
699 upvotes
Calgary
umadbrah wrote: when you guys say tethering do you mean creating a wifi hotspot for other devices to connect? if so, it still works for me
Yes that's what it means. I had carrier settings update on my iPhone a few days ago, tethering still working no problem.
Apr 24, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes
You are chatting with Nathael.Fido Live Chat
7:13 PM Connecting...
7:13 PM Connected. A Fido representative will be with you shortly.
7:13 PM Support session established with Nathael.
7:14 PM Nathael:
Fido LiveANSWERS™
Hey! I’m Nathael. Nice to meet you! I just need a second to pull up your account and review your request. Thanks! :)
7:14 PM me:
take your time :)
7:15 PM Nathael:
Thanks
7:18 PM Nathael:
Thanks for your patience Kevin, I see you have trouble concerning tethering
7:18 PM me:
yes
7:19 PM me:
my contract doesn't say anything about not tethering, so I'm surprised that I can't
7:19 PM Nathael:
What kind of device are you using?
7:20 PM me:
I'm using an ipad
7:21 PM Nathael:
I see, and it doesn't allow you to turn it On at all?
7:21 PM me:
I'm able to turn on tethering
it appears to work
but when viewing an actual webpage with my laptop, I get a dns error
7:22 PM me:
same with using the "ping" command
7:22 PM Nathael:
So if I understand you correctly, you're trying to tether from your Ipad to laptop?
7:22 PM me:
yes
7:23 PM Nathael:
ok and have you tried to tethering with another device other than your laptop?
7:23 PM me:
yes
7:23 PM me:
also dns problem
7:24 PM me:
however, switching the sim to my friend's sim works fine
7:24 PM me:
the previous support rep said that tethering is disabled on my fido account and cannot be enabled because each plan is personalized for each client, but I'm wondering since someone else with the same plan as me is able to do it, would I be able to switch plans?
7:25 PM Nathael:
Let me verify if thats actually the case and weather you can change your plan or not.
7:25 PM Nathael:
Please allow me a few moments
7:25 PM me:
thank you
7:33 PM Nathael:
As far as the tethering is concerned it does indeed say it's not compatible with Data tracker and tethering.
7:33 PM me:
what is data tracker? is that the thing that tracks how much data I've used in the billing period?
7:34 PM Nathael:
Thats correct
7:34 PM Nathael:
Also the only plan available thats is data only is the one you currently have.
7:35 PM me:
so there is no way to enable tethering on my account?
7:35 PM me:
if I cancelled today and reapplied, I would not be able to get tethering still?
7:36 PM Nathael:
It would be the same thing , according to the information that I have
7:36 PM Nathael:
Is your friend with Fido as well?
7:36 PM me:
yes
7:37 PM me:
he signed up about a month ago
7:37 PM Nathael:
And has the exact Dta only plan?
7:37 PM me:
yup
7:37 PM Nathael:
data*
7:38 PM me:
he says "I just got this plan less than a month ago and I can use the tablet to hotspot my phone. "
7:38 PM Nathael:
thats very odd, let me see what else I can do
perhaps it is because he got the 2gb data plan + the lg gpad III?
does there exist a contract variation of this plan where tethering is enabled?
7:39 PM me:
I'll be back in two minutes, need to use the washroom
7:40 PM Nathael:
of course
7:41 PM me:
back
7:42 PM Nathael:
great, so after verifying. Its clearly stated here that it's not compatible with the data only plans
7:43 PM Nathael:
One more thing is that , are you aware that your contract is actually over?
7:43 PM me:
yes, I can cancel at any time
7:43 PM me:
thank you for your concern and verification
Oct 2, 2013
464 posts
442 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Really odd about the tethering. I got the LG G Pad III deal and no issues with tethering. Wonder if it's a concern on network load with all of these discount data deals they keep offering? Limit tethering so only network approved devices use the network?
Jan 24, 2015
99 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal, QC
boogerlad2 wrote: I just got this plan a little under a month ago, and live chat has confirmed that tethering is disabled.
Got the plan in September, tethering was working.
Changed for the free LG GPad III in December, tethering still working.

Try with another phone.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
This plan definitely allows tethering. Depending on the android device I have had to insert dun into the APN type field. I am guessing iOS may not allow users with such liberties as making changes to APN settings. If possible, try the SIM in an android device and see if the outcome is consistent.
Apr 24, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes
I lied about using an ipad. I have tried the sim in three android devices so far and changed apn settings. nothing worked. Changing another sim into the same three devices works fine. It's a new policy.
Mar 28, 2010
309 posts
527 upvotes
vancouver
Here's my fickle:

Signed up for the 3gb one in December at BB, they screwed up and put me on easy pay. Back and forth for all these months, Fido agreed to just give me a massive credit equal to the discount for the tablet. Right now a balance of -180 is shown, and a device upgrade of 180 as well.

I guess I could try for a loyalty request, they might not approve it given there's a negative balance. I tried looking at options for device upgrades, but they want me to go on a Pulse plan instead of the 2 year data only (should I keep my current plan, I pay full price for device)

The 3gb is perfect for me. I'd like to grab an actual phone for $0 while keeping my data only plan. Possible? Maybe another provider?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
xbournex wrote: Here's my fickle:

Signed up for the 3gb one in December at BB, they screwed up and put me on easy pay. Back and forth for all these months, Fido agreed to just give me a massive credit equal to the discount for the tablet. Right now a balance of -180 is shown, and a device upgrade of 180 as well.

I guess I could try for a loyalty request, they might not approve it given there's a negative balance. I tried looking at options for device upgrades, but they want me to go on a Pulse plan instead of the 2 year data only (should I keep my current plan, I pay full price for device)

The 3gb is perfect for me. I'd like to grab an actual phone for $0 while keeping my data only plan. Possible? Maybe another provider?
There are retail options for buying hardware that does not involve the carriers. Take a look at this forum, shop around. Hoping that a seller will give you a free phone is a big roadblock though. Who gives away stuff for free? I hope you do realize that it is illusion and that your costs will end up being higher because the $0 sales are the ones with the most inflated pricing for which you are on the hook for if you don't stay on for two years.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
will888 wrote: Who gives away stuff for free? I hope you do realize that it is illusion and that your costs will end up being higher because the $0 sales are the ones with the most inflated pricing for which you are on the hook for if you don't stay on for two years.
Generally I'd agree. But the one anomaly seems to be Fido with their free LG G Pad promo. Apart from the 2-year commitment to 3GB/$15, the tablet is/was indeed free, not even HST. So I suppose it's not that unreasonable to ask if there are any other such "anomalies" buried in Fido's world.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
xbournex wrote: Here's my fickle:

You're dreaming. This plan is not even intended for use in a phone. Fido allows it, for now.

Best you're gonna do is sign up on the 2 year contract and get the free tablet, sell it, and use that money towards the phone of your choice.

The "loyalty discount" (LOL at a loyalty discount being offered after only 3 months) is highly YMMV.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
bylo wrote: Generally I'd agree. But the one anomaly seems to be Fido with their free LG G Pad promo. Apart from the 2-year commitment to 3GB/$15, the tablet is/was indeed free, not even HST. So I suppose it's not that unreasonable to ask if there are any other such "anomalies" buried in Fido's world.
People are getting spoiled and are getting silly expectations. Now people wanna pay $7.50 a month a get a free phone instead of a tablet, etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)