Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

3GB LTE Data Plan $15/mo IS BACK. Flaming HOT (extended till March 31)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2018 1:30 pm

Poll: For new Fido customers, when did the your billing cycle start (per first bill) ?

• Total votes: 403. You have voted on this poll.
next day after line activation.

50%
2-3 days after line activation.

23%
4-6 days after line activation.

11%
7 or more days after line activation.

16%
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3616 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: Its up to Fido to set up their billing cycle, optimally (for a new customer) is for his (her) billing cycle to start the day they sign up (or after 30 days of service), worst case scenario is for his (her) billing cycle to END on the very first day they sign up, people don't really care because they usually "prorate" for partial months, nah not for "data" they say, so they "unilaterally" decide to pick pocket everyone for one month of service they will never provide !!
I think we should set up a poll to see how many days everyone has on their first cycle. But I'm thinking we might need two polls to figure out when Fido's billing cycle actually is. I'm not sure which forum to set the polls up in. Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
1951 posts
388 upvotes
do any one signed up at BB get a hardcopy contract signed? reason i ask i signed up on Dec 11 and the guy who gave the tablet, gift card, sim card and a receipt that is it. i have no sign any paper work at all. any one know what should i do.?
5 lines Telus Unlimited 75 CAN-US $30/line, 3 x tablet lines $0. 4 x Visual Voicemail $0. 2 x Samsung Watch5 Pro $0 with $10/m watch plan
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
Just setting LG take let now... It feels heavy compared to nexus7

Hate that stock LG launcher.. Will install nova prime asap... Keyboard kinda lags.. Sim card auto detected lte.. No need to mess around with apn values
Last edited by mikka1989 on Dec 16th, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
leadersuper699 wrote: do any one signed up at BB get a hardcopy contract signed? reason i ask i signed up on Dec 11 and the guy who gave the tablet, gift card, sim card and a receipt that is it. i have no sign any paper work at all. any one know what should i do.?
You can ask Fido to send one to you by mail.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
Philippe wrote: Signed up yesterday, got the tablet, plan number is right (fcn2dt001) but contract (which I was not shown before the end) show 35.- monthly. Online account says 10$+15$data=25$. Should I worry about the 10$ discount not showing or should I wait?
You can ask Fido to check on your account, they can see it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
Philippe wrote: Signed up yesterday, got the tablet, plan number is right (fcn2dt001) but contract (which I was not shown before the end) show 35.- monthly. Online account says 10$+15$data=25$. Should I worry about the 10$ discount not showing or should I wait?
Maybe the $10 is a one-time only charge for the SIM?
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
mikka1989 wrote: Just setting LG take let now... It feels heavy compared to nexus7

Hate that stock LG launcher.. Will install nova prime asap... Keyboard kinda lags.. Sim card auto detected lte.. No need to mess around with apn values
It is about 50g heavier. If you can feel that difference I give you credit!

The stock LG launcher is truly crap. Using Nova Prime on mine, works great!

There is a little lagginess when coming out of the lock screen, afterwards it's pretty speedy.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2007
1707 posts
1456 upvotes
Markham
aasoror wrote: Can you quote from your contract the text that says that ?! because I have two different versions (from two different locations) and neither of the them says anything evenly remotely along these lines.

My contract said "one time fee of $15 for activation", "monthly fee of $15 for the data plan", I am not an existing customer so I shouldn't have "partial billing cycle", and also my contract mentions "nothing" about when is my billing cycle, actually there nothing on the paper work saying whether you are on a "post" or "pre" paid plan and similarly nothing saying that "data is not pro-rated" (but voice and other services are !!)

Its up to Fido to set up their billing cycle, optimally (for a new customer) is for his (her) billing cycle to start the day they sign up (or after 30 days of service), worst case scenario is for his (her) billing cycle to END on the very first day they sign up, people don't really care because they usually "prorate" for partial months, nah not for "data" they say, so they "unilaterally" decide to pick pocket everyone for one month of service they will never provide !!

And even if you go along with their "you had the device and should have used up your data in that 1-day billing cycle", this begs for the question, why would someone signing up for a "100 minutes voice plan" gets prorated and is not expected to similarly use up all his 1 h and 40 minutes of voice in this single day ?! Even worse, why were other signing up for this very same promo (but mystically getting signed up to some other "internal" plan code) got proper "prorated" charges for "data-add on" ?!?
Don't get me wrong here, I'm no advocate for Fido. I'm one of those who had their billing cycle end on the day I signed up and I used all your arguments against Fido to get my credit. The contract indeed is very vague when it comes the billing details as related to the Flexible Data Add on. As such, one would have to rely on supporting documents to clarify the terms and conditions (implied terms and conditions).

I took a deeper look into this and perhaps I may have mistaken how the contract was set up / my interpretation of it. In my contract it states, that I'm on the "Tablet Promotion" plan with "add on" of "Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan". With data add on, one appears to be subject to the minimum fee. "The Flexible Data Plan automatically adjusts to your actual mobile Internet usage. You'll be charged a minimum of $10 or $22 per month depending on the Data plan you select." http://www.fido.ca/consumer/accessibility/plans#terms1

Flex Rate plan vs Flexible Data Plan?. Our intention was to sign on to a $15 Monthly 3GB plan (Not a data Add On). I assume that the way Fido set up the plan in their system in order to allow for the "Free Tablet" is causing this issue (Tablet Promotion set up as plan and the 3GB Plan as a add on). The system is recognising the "Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan" as a Add on which is subject to the minimum monthly charges (per above). This is the way it shows on my account details.

So, should the "Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan" be set up in their system as a "Plan" or a "Add on"? I think the Plan should be "Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan" and the add on should be the "Tablet Promotion". This would allow the "Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan" to be prorated and who cares if the Tablet Promotion Add On would be prorated since there is a 100% offsetting credit(s). Unfortunately their billing system is bound by the constants of the programming.

With that said, there also is a bit of contradictory information provided by Fido. Although the Data Add On plan terms mentioned above state a minimum charge, in their billing FAQ, it states add-on are prorated.

http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfp ... es&lang=en

I trust that Fido's intent was not to over bill their customers. Unfortunately, Fido is not being proactive on addressing this issue.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
datacat wrote: I don't disagree and you shouldn't be charged but taking everything into consideration, we're talking $15 not 50 that can be taken care of with a single phone call or possibly require a second or escalation to manager but time is money here.
mmm .. so a business can mischarge you whatever and still get away with it if they manage to keep you on hold "wasting your time" long enough ?! well while I have seen worse when it comes to billing/setup issues with other providers but I still remember someone taking Rogers to court and billing them for the time he were kept on their phone support (given his hourly rate), he didn't actually get money out of it, but he managed to get his last bill reduced by the amount he claimed.

Also you need to consider the "scale" of it all, there is 250k views on this thread alone, lets just assume Fido got a measly 50k new signups throughout Canada, this is $750,000 for service that was never provided , now add to that EVERY SINGLE data-plan new customer sign-up since last year (when this issue was first reported), and perhaps you might see what the real issue is about.
No way I'd be at this for an hour let alone days and you shouldn't have to if you speak to customer service politely but with assertiveness. The issue should be resolved fairly quickly.
Not sure why you are assuming that those with bad experiences were not "polite", but, as I mentioned earlier, beside some "courtesy credit" there isn't much a "loyalty" rep can do, this is an issue of how Fido set their system to set "billing cycle" in such a way that maximizes charges for new customers will minimizing the service available to them.
Here we have people recording phone conversations like a CIA operation, taking detailed notes using codes, and the latest starting a class action lawsuit.
lol, I don't think he meant "voice recording" but rather have the interaction on record (with Fido's own "interaction id"), but again to each his own, if this is his way to hold them accountable for the "lies" they fed him then so be it (as long as he acknowledges it to the guy on the other end of the line).
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2007
1707 posts
1456 upvotes
Markham
Inno wrote: Maybe the $10 is a one-time only charge for the SIM?
The $10 + $15 = $25 is correct. There is a $10 credit(s) that will offset the $10 Tablet Promotion plan fee. This is not in the contract and you will see it as a credit to your bill.

I don't think anyone was charged for the SIM since the SIM comes with the Tablet.
Jun 1, 2006
743 posts
49 upvotes
Just got this with the Tboth at Rideau Centre in Ottawa. Went to Fido first but they didn't have any PAD III left. So went to Wireless wave and was told this was only for existing customers. So end up at Tboth. The guy there seemed very knowledgable and did it in 30 minutes. Contract has the right plan number, fcn2dt001. Hopefully everything ok with the bill.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
This whole issues with being charged $15 for 1 day before your bililng cycle starts was not an issues in september when there was no free tablet deal. I was told i pre-pay at the beginning of the month for my 3GB. and then at the end of the month if there are additional charges they are added to my bill where i pre-pay for the next month.

I signed up for the $15/3GB plan at the end of september. my billing cycle started october 4th. They prorated the 8 days no problem. The fido rep even told me about the prorating. And said the data would also be prorated so i should make sure not use use more then around 700MB just be be safe.

My first bill generated oct 4th, recevied oct 10th

My second bill generated nov 4th, recevied nov 10th.

Apr 3, 2004
259 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Question... cant we just use whatsapp to do voice/text since it uses data?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
junkheap wrote: Question... cant we just use whatsapp to do voice/text since it uses data?
sure just use your tablet plan SIM phone number as your whatsapp ID lol
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
i3kc wrote: Don't get me wrong here, I'm no advocate for Fido. I'm one of those who had their billing cycle end on the day I signed up and I used all your arguments against Fido to get my credit. The contract indeed is very vague when it comes the billing details as related to the Flexible Data Add on. As such, one would have to rely on supporting documents to clarify the terms and conditions (implied terms and conditions).
You can also rely on CCTS' Wireless Code.
If any part of the Code or the customer’s contract is ambiguous, or if it is unclear how the terms of the Code or the contract are to be applied, then the Code and the contract must be interpreted in a manner that is favourable to the customer.
i3kc wrote: With that said, there also is a bit of contradictory information provided by Fido. Although the Data Add On plan terms mentioned above state a minimum charge, in their billing FAQ, it states add-on are prorated... I trust that Fido's intent was not to over bill their customers. Unfortunately, Fido is not being proactive on addressing this issue.
A similar issue existed a year ago when Fido had a promo in which you could upgrade from a tablet data plan (100MB/$10, 1GB/$20...) to Flex data (1GB/$15, 3GB/$25...). Later the same thing with the naked 3GB/$15 promo. So if Fido's intent was not to overbill their customers why haven't they updated their billing system to accomplish that?

Even if their intent is honourable, their behaviour doesn't seem consistent with that. Still, I'll go with Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity [or incompetence]."
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 30, 2016
228 posts
316 upvotes
To anyone who still on the fence to get this deal:

Don't order via Fido live chat now. I did that Wednesday morning and today I received an email about the tablet being on back order. Go to the retail store or you may not receive the tablet before Christmas!
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Kevinck wrote: This whole issues with being charged $15 for 1 day before your bililng cycle starts was not an issues in september when there was no free tablet deal. I was told i pre-pay at the beginning of the month for my 3GB. and then at the end of the month if there are additional charges they are added to my bill where i pre-pay for the next month.

I signed up for the $15/3GB plan at the end of september. my billing cycle started october 4th. They prorated the 8 days no problem. The fido rep even told me about the prorating. And said the data would also be prorated so i should make sure not use use more then around 700MB just be be safe.
Well the difference here is that your are signed up for the "Mobile Internet Rate Plan" (and those who did the upgrade for their existing lines to get the free tab managed to stay on this plan).
Problematic sign ups got the "Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan", which apparently Fido decided can't be pro-rated.
Sep 6, 2016
365 posts
169 upvotes
GTA
Someone please post some performance benchmark test results on this tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
charge wrote: The Sept. $15 3GB/mth promo was for as you say: Mobile Internet Rate Plan DSPSRA1K3, which was a pro-rated pre-paid plan (first bill $15 with SIM/activation waived).

The new Tablet Plan promo seems to be mostly: Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan DSPSRA1K8.
Which is similar to the pre-Sept $15 1GB/mth plan that was not pro-rated ($15 for as little as one day) and post paid (first bill $0 with SIM/activation waived).
The neat thing now though is that some people are being put on an alternate version, DSPSRA1K4, which seems to be a pro-rated pre-paid plan.

Confused yet?
Well that's the beauty of Fido, no two customers with the same plan makes it really hard to compare what everyone's dealing with.
Yeah, I got DSPSRA1K4, and my account was pro-rated.
May 24, 2007
325 posts
98 upvotes
British Columbia
I'm triple confused now, I signed up 2 accounts and they were listing the "Flex" plan, is this not correct? I asked several times if this was right.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)