Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
wearysky wrote: PM's cheapest 2GB data-only plan is $84/90 days, so actually $28 a month ($38 if you go with a 30 day plan, yikes!). And that's more than I'm paying right now after referrals, community and autopay discounts for my 4GB/provincial calls plan with PM. I'm tempted to swap over to Fido for the extra $10 a month savings (even though it means losing 1GB/month plus the 90 day/12gb flexibility plus real voice calling/sms capabilities)... But this PM plan is just so good, I'm reluctant to lose it. :)
$84 for 3 months - $6 ($2/month if you do the PAD) then divide by 3 will be $26/month for the 2 GB. Sorry, I think I said $25 before.
Last edited by Mickey21444 on Feb 3rd, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Planning to get this for my mom. She has a few devices though, can you take the sim card out and and swap them to other ipads or iphones or is it locked to whatever tablet you bring in when activating?
Nov 22, 2012
755 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote: Planning to get this for my mom. She has a few devices though, can you take the sim card out and and swap them to other ipads or iphones or is it locked to whatever tablet you bring in when activating?
You don't need to bring a tablet. They'll give a 3-in-1 SIM card. You can use it anywhere.
Last edited by peteve on Feb 3rd, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NA
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
Travellots wrote: Hello boss can I suggest 100 reasons on why that app is crap? Before I can write reason #1, that app crashes on AOSP.

I got 3 different AOSP phones running Snapdragon 80x series. This is not this app does not work on this phone problem. I run my own SIP server with Cisco Unified IP phones. I configure my own XML files for manual provisioning since I ain't going to pay and run Cisco UCS boxes. When I write stuff I've been through enough to speak from experience.

For all others looking for an answer, I got no particular suggestions for an app. If you can convince people around you to go data to data, please do so and use Signal. They literally pushed out WEBRTC OPUS voice&video calling two days ago to beta testers. It's a pure bliss.
Lol I understand you've had a bad experience with AOSP. It might be an option for those that don't have AOSP. I've tried most of the big VOIP apps (granted on iOS) and on iOS, this was just my honest opinion.

But when you claim that all those apps are the same...trust me, they are not.

PS. The reasons given are all kind of specific to your own personal situation and not the general population who would be looking to use a VOIP app
Last edited by Mickey21444 on Feb 3rd, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3441 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg
mobifree wrote: $25 ($15 for data + $10 sms) is an option with this plan.
I've done it before.
How?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3441 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've done it before.
How?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
max011 wrote: FONGO = Bad on Android. Period.
FONGO = Bad anywhere except, perhaps, some Eastern parts of the country [close to their servrs.
FONGO = Bad, notoriously, on Nexus 4 and 5 in general.
All of these statements are hard facts, topic of many forums, and no need to comment any further.
WRONG.

Zenfone 3. Fongo works flawlessly with it. Android 6.0.1. No lag, no echo, pretty much very comparable to my freephoneline for my home phone, almost indistinguishable from traditional voice. Also I live in western Canada.

Only true fact is Nexus 4 which I have and yes Fongo is terrible on that phone. But it works flawlessly on Zenfone 3.

You do need 3/4 bars or higher for good quality, but this is also the case with hangouts Dialer.
Sep 18, 2004
511 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto ON
Messerschmitt wrote:
Only true fact is Nexus 4 which I have and yes Fongo is terrible on that phone. But it works flawlessly on Zenfone 3.

You do need 3/4 bars or higher for good quality, but this is also the case with hangouts Dialer.
This isn't even always the case, I'm using a Nexus 4 on this plan and it works just fine, as good as Hangouts at least. I've also used it with csipsimple and haven't had any issues.

I do happen to be running the latest Android 7.1.1 (unofficially) with the LTE hack on it so that may be the reason, but it's worked well on wifi only in the past.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
xenyz wrote: This isn't even always the case, I'm using a Nexus 4 on this plan and it works just fine, as good as Hangouts at least. I've also used it with csipsimple and haven't had any issues.

I do happen to be running the latest Android 7.1.1 (unofficially) with the LTE hack on it so that may be the reason, but it's worked well on wifi only in the past.
What ROM are you using? And what is csipsimple? With vanilla 5.1.1 it's working terrible, echo, missed calls, etc.
Sep 18, 2004
511 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto ON
Messerschmitt wrote: What ROM are you using? And what is csipsimple? With vanilla 5.1.1 it's working terrible, echo, missed calls, etc.
It's called Fake Nexus, available on XDA-Developers. It works with no setup needed for the hybrid LTE modem found on bit.ly/makostuff

Still kicking in 2017 :)
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
I've done it before.
Actually this plan is data-only plan and is ineligible for any Voice/SMS addons, as iterated by support to "almost" everyone calling in to ask.
That said, indeed "very few" have managed to get a $5 SMS addon, and now you are saying you managed to get a $10 SMS addon there, so it wouldn't hurt to call and try, just don't argue that much when denied, because those got it was just lucky,
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aasoror wrote: Actually this plan is data-only plan and is ineligible for any Voice/SMS addons, as iterated by support to "almost" everyone calling in to ask.
That said, indeed "very few" have managed to get a $5 SMS addon, and now you are saying you managed to get a $10 SMS addon there, so it wouldn't hurt to call and try, just don't argue that much when denied, because those got it was just lucky,
Don't call in.
Do it by chat!
I've done it on 3 different account by chat, in fact 1 account I removed and re-added 2 months later.
Without fail, I've been successful all 4 times.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
I've done it before.
Why pay 10$ when you can pay under 2$ with Fongo for unlimited SMS. And I use the same number to make/receive calls when the reception is good. 10$ gives me 6 months of unlimited text (with the ability to block any numbers that annoy me to receive text/calls). 5$ when it's on sale (very rare, only saw it once 2 years ago when I took advantage of it)
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
2173 posts
883 upvotes
I tested the fax feature. They show up when I access them through voicemail on the web portal. But I don't see the faxes through the iOS app. Are you certain?

EDIT: Never mind :) As soon as I hit send the they were accessible through the app. It took almost 5 minutes.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
mobifree wrote: Don't call in.
Do it by chat!
I've done it on 3 different account by chat, in fact 1 account I removed and re-added 2 months later.
Without fail, I've been successful all 4 times.
Some uninformed reps you got there :)
Not that people should be complaining, if anyone goes ahead, please share.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Mickey21444 wrote: $84 for 3 months - $6 ($2/month if you do the PAD) then divide by 3 will be $26/month for the 2 GB. Sorry, I think I said $25 before.
True, I forgot about the prepay discount :) So that makes it $1 cheaper than what I'm currently paying on PM for 4GB + global text + provincial calling (I'd lose all my referrals if I switched over to Fido and back to PM). I could bring it down some more with community rewards but when it comes down to it, 2GB of data a month wouldn't be enough for me any way. So really it's a case of "go to Fido and lose some data + functionality but have an extra $12+tax a month or so", or stick with PM (because really, it probably is pretty highly unlikely that Fido will crack down). Methinks I'll stick with PM for now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
Kevinck wrote: I'm thinking i want to do exactly what you describe on a Nexus 5 but i am one that managed to get a google voice number. so when i call out with hangouts dialer my Caller ID is my US based google voice number. I dont' think you can change it if you have gvoice. is there any way we can do this without confusing our friends where they will receive calls from me that show a US number and then call me at my canadian number?
I don't have GV so I can't speak from experience, but the only way I know is to simply create another Google email [account] and use it for verifying your canadian phone number to be used as Caller ID with Hangouts dialer. Yes, you can have 2 [or more] Google accounts on the same phone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
wearysky wrote: Question: what are the odds of Fido kicking people off for using a tablet plan on a phone? Any chance of them going the Virgin route and locking sims to tablet IMEIs only?
Zero to none. I got SIM card only, noone asked about any IMEI [and in my case month-to-month - no contract] If they change the rules - off I go. People that got into the contract w/"free" tablet... Well that's something else... It "could" go "Virgin way"... But hopefully not.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Oct 13, 2014
155 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto, ON
what does "yes, you will get charged taxes on your bill based on your number" mean ? I thought changing phone number is free if you do it online
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
DarrenN301729 wrote: If people are having trouble getting ahold of you I was thinking that they could send a text for call the fido sim number. You would always get those calls and texts and answer using your voip provider. It's very inconvenient, but if you're absolutely determined to save a buck.
If you get a phone call on your Fido SIM number, there is no way you can "answer using your voip provider". If you pick up - there goes $1 tru the window... times number of minutes you keep talking. You can only let it ring out and call back using your voip provider [or, better, Hangouts for free] to save a buck.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)