Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] 4GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 5:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6818 posts
2558 upvotes
Calgary
will888 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:39 pm
@althetrainer , I have never ever had a Fido cellular plan. I certainly do not qualify for any tablet plan if the rules were hard coded into the computer system. It is totally up to the person on the computer to give out the plan or not. I have had good success with non Fido stores. The long thread includes reports that some Fido stores will bend the rules as well. As for getting a tablet or not, that is a personal decision. I see it this way, the tablet is free provided I stay for 24 months. Since they are discounting the data for 24 months, there is no reason for me to leave early. If you intend to stay 24 months or much of it, get a tablet and sell it to help pay for the plan.
You're exactly right about how it depends on the person we're dealing with. I went to the Mobile Shop to see if they could give me 3G for $15 but they suggested a better Freedom Mobile tablet plan, 4G for $15. No free tablet but instead of $35 activation fee I only paid $10 for the FM sim. I don' t need another tablet anyway so I bought the plan for the boy.

Came home and called Fido to unlock the old tablet, they asked why and I told them about the FM tablet plan. The guy said he could upgrade my current tablet plan (2G for $7.50) to 4G for $7.50 for being a good customer. I thought more data for the same price why not. The rep made the change and told me the new data would kick in on March 3 and that I wouldn't have to do anything about it. He then asked if I wanted a second line but suddenly we got cut off. I was not sure what was going on, I called Fido again. Big mistake. This time I got a different guy. Not only he said the first guy didn't upgrade my plan but that I was not qualified for such upgrade. At this point, I was told my current plan got changed from $7.50/month to $15/month. After half an hour of going back and forth, he said he would change it back to $7.50/month and the change would be confirmed by an email from Fido. A couple of minutes after, a Fido email came in showing these changes :
Online plan change data bonus (Removed as of 2019-Feb-04)
Loyalty Offer- 50% Rebate Data (Removed as of 2019-Mar-03)
Tablet Promotion (Removed as of 2019-Mar-03)
Mobile Internet Flex Rate Plan (Removed as of 2019-Mar-03)

It looks like the first guy did the upgrades but the second guy removed them. A second email came in showing my plan is now $15/month. I have no idea what's going on. I may move over to Freedom Mobile by the end of this billing cycle. Dealing with Fido is too exhausting.
Nov 19, 2011
91 posts
19 upvotes
London
superbigjay wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:56 pm
worst case ... you pay your 15$ for the month and have an additional 28 days to figure this out
;-)
Are you suggesting that they will maintain my original plan and charge me full price? I wouldn't mind letting it go and see if they continue that plan. I also thought that I could sign up for the new 2gb plan and see if I can get a loyalty deal in 3 - 6 months time. I use that SIM as a hot spot on my boat and in my SUV for others. It has been great, not to mention it works great in my hidden camera at the lake. I could really use two of them! LOL
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2284 posts
1312 upvotes
montreal
morganplus8 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:33 am
Are you suggesting that they will maintain my original plan and charge me full price? I wouldn't mind letting it go and see if they continue that plan. I also thought that I could sign up for the new 2gb plan and see if I can get a loyalty deal in 3 - 6 months time. I use that SIM as a hot spot on my boat and in my SUV for others. It has been great, not to mention it works great in my hidden camera at the lake. I could really use two of them! LOL
I am saying that worst case, you'll return to you current plan without the loyalty 100% discount.
Since you invoice is due, this mean you would be paying 15+tx for the next one (for 3GB which I believe is your current plan).

But then, you try again to get your discount ... to get that 50% off (ie 7.50$ for 3GB), but no free tab.

Just used the chat to get it.
First 2 rep told (Lucie and ???) me that no loyalty for data-only.

3rd one did it without any problem.
My current 100% is ending this month (received my last discounted invoice last week).
They activated the 50% for 24 months that will be on my next invoice (early march).

So keep trying with another rep.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16420 posts
8749 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
morganplus8 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:48 pm
Finished with Chat: Nothing for my "data only" plan is available. I have to take a free tablet for the $ 15/2gb deal. I don't really want to give up my 3gb so I passed on that deal. I'll call in and see if I can get someone who knows more about these plans. She said there are no loyalty programs available either. I have 2 days to figure this out.
To add to what @superbigjay is saying, gamble $15 on another month. If the invoice shows the full $15/3GB then call Fido and tell them you want to cancel. That should get you to retentions. They should be a lot more flexible than a regular agent, especially you're about to cancel a [now] un-discounted line.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 7, 2012
790 posts
347 upvotes
Just completed successful activation of 50%/24 months with regular rep (2nd try though). I had the original LG GPad3 deal which became the 100% off - including a couple months of less than 1 GB overage - deal. Bill cycle ends Feb 21 (my last month at 100%). Rep applied the 50% promo to take effect beginning next cycle.
Now to assess needs for my other 2 lines by April.
Feb 28, 2007
60 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Summary: renewed with 50% off promo/24 months and got a free Huawei tablet using online chat. Needed to pay $35 activation fee.

I never got a free tablet and I don't have any voice line. My 100% promo/12 month expires soon. Right after the invoice that gave 12th month promo was generated, chat to find out any promo. After a quick and easy chats, she offered 50% off promo/24M. She also signed me up free tablet. The tablet was UPSed to me.
For some reasons, they needed to issue a new SIM card to replace the current one and I had to pay $35 activation fee. But that's ok.
Jan 11, 2017
22 posts
26 upvotes
bjwcg7tf wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:45 pm
Summary: renewed with 50% off promo/24 months and got a free Huawei tablet using online chat. Needed to pay $35 activation fee.

I never got a free tablet and I don't have any voice line. My 100% promo/12 month expires soon. Right after the invoice that gave 12th month promo was generated, chat to find out any promo. After a quick and easy chats, she offered 50% off promo/24M. She also signed me up free tablet. The tablet was UPSed to me.
For some reasons, they needed to issue a new SIM card to replace the current one and I had to pay $35 activation fee. But that's ok.
This happened with my new tablet as well. Nothing regarding a new SIM card, or $35 activation fee, was mentioned at all during my original arrangement with them. After receiving the SIM (with the shipped tablet) and confirming I was indeed charged this $35, I called them back to press my point that nothing was being "activated" here. They said it's what happens when they issue a new device.

However, pressing further, they were willing to credit me $20 of it back. If you're so inclined, you can try arguing it like I did.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9408 posts
2348 upvotes
Guess I should try my luck in chat for this free tablet. Calling retention twice didn't seem to help at all.
May 1, 2014
150 posts
120 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Is it still possible to get 50%-100% off for the one who sign up now? Also is there any GC offer for tablet?
Nov 19, 2011
91 posts
19 upvotes
London
Third time is the charm, I called in, asked for retention, told them I had been turned down for a 50% off 24/month extension (twice already) to my 100% off loyalty program. They gave it to me. I wasn't offered a free tablet under this agreement but it didn't cost me anything for the extension either. I'm happy with this as I use the SIM as a hot spot for many others. while boating, traveling etc.. I have a stack of tablets now so I'm happy. Thanks for pushing me to keep on their case.

Just a heads up, I never get near 3gb during the Summer months and the off season is very light so no abuse here!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18693 posts
6716 upvotes
Toronto
bjwcg7tf wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:45 pm

So basically what has happened is that they started up a new line for you which is the reason for the new SIM card. The Fido system has been set up with no option for hardware upgrade on tablet lines. Neither customer nor customer service reps can add new hardware to an existing line. Of course when you start a new service, all the fees kick in. On Sunday, I called in to cancel my old lines which are no longer needed since I have been issued new lines to go with the tablets that I ordered. Fido processes all cancellations through the retention department. The retention agent asked why I was cancelling my service. I explained how the system is convoluted for hardware upgrades on tablet lines. I am forced to get new lines which obsoletes the old line. She acknowledged the limitations of the system in not allowing hardware upgrades on tablet lines. She also mentioned that reps can work around this by getting the back office to override the system and add hardware to existing tablet lines. I will save this option for my next tablet upgrade in 2 years time.

BTW, how is the Huawei tablet? I was thinking of getting one. The LG seemed a lot better on specs. It would have been nice to get the bigger screen.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18693 posts
6716 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 1:45 am
Guess I should try my luck in chat for this free tablet. Calling retention twice didn't seem to help at all.
Call regular customer service and ask for hardware upgrade to your existing line. The agent will tell you that it is not possible. Just tell them to do an override through the back office.
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18693 posts
6716 upvotes
Toronto
dadashjoun wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 1:55 am
Is it still possible to get 50%-100% off for the one who sign up now? Also is there any GC offer for tablet?
You are sure asking for a lot! You want a free tablet with free with gift cards on top. And you want 100% discount on the service. Show me where to line up for this.

IIRC new lines need to go through a 90 day waiting period for loyalty offers. Tablets can be free if you use the so called easy pay system.
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7842 posts
1818 upvotes
Scarberia
i was told by live chat u can't get 50% off if u currently have 100% loyalty plan..u need to wait till that expires , they can't apply another promo or rebate on your account...is that true? btw which rep did u guys get that allow u the 50% off for 2 years..thx
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @$39.99 no 60FPS 4k youtube :( using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16420 posts
8749 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mikka2017 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:31 am
i was told by live chat u can't get 50% off if u currently have 100% loyalty plan..u need to wait till that expires , they can't apply another promo or rebate on your account...is that true? btw which rep did u guys get that allow u the 50% off for 2 years..thx
It's all true or not true on a YMMV basis. If you don't like an answer try again (and again and...) But you should already know this.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Tichi