• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2013 7:07 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 2, 2013
3 posts
NORTH YORK

Fido damaged my credit, what can I do?

I was paying for my little sister's phone and when she turned 21 she decided to pay for her own phone bill so we changed the account to be under her name. She had to give 3 pieces of i.d. and all that. When I was the account holder, I paid by pre-authorized credit card so money was automatically deducted every month. When she called to do the switch she told the man she wanted to pay off any leftover amount and was told that her balance was at zero (presumably because I had paid for everything). Two months later I get a call from Fido saying that I have an outstanding balance (I am with Rogers so I knew this could only be about my sister's phone). By the way, they ONLY called when I was at work and as a teacher I can't just pick up the phone whenever I want to so it took a week for them to finally reach me and they did not leave any messages. When I got the call (during my 15 minute recess) I told them I'd call back to settle it. I called, asked if my sister was paying all of her bills and why they were calling me when she was now the account holder. I was ready to pay off anything. They told me there was no outstanding balance anywhere. I asked them to double check everywhere and they assured me that whoever called must have made a mistake. I don't get called for another month.

The next call I get, they tell me that my credit has been damaged because I haven't paid off my outstanding balance. Apparently, when the account changed names, there was an outstanding 2 months that had not been paid(I'm not sure why since I was on pre-authorized chequing). I am livid! I don't understand how they could do this. I was always willing to pay off any bills and so was my sister! When I called to complain, the guy sounded like he didn't care and basically just told me, tough luck, it was my fault for not paying my bills. I've never had any credit issues because I always pay off my bills in time. Fido sucks and their customer service sucks as well! Is there any thing I can do?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1152 posts
116 upvotes
do you have the bank records of your sister paying off the bill for the past two months? If there is no balance and she can show the payments were made than you should contact the president's office and ask them to reverse this mistake.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2013
3 posts
NORTH YORK
No, I checked all my records and it seems I did not pay the last month. However, I would have paid it had I known that I hadn't. I truthfully, just expected any bills to come out of my credit card like it always does. I don't know why they did not withdraw the money since they have my credit card number. I also don't understand how someone told me that my balance was at zero. Also, Fido charges an extra month when you cancel your account(I did not cancel so I don't understand) for no reason so that makes 2 months worth. I truthfully didn't quite understand the service rep since they seemed young, nervous, and a little all over the place.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11055 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto
Did you run a credit report for yourself to see if this situation with Fido has or will impact your credit score?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11055 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto
poiuytre wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 5:33 pm
I did and it has.
I'm not sure if it's possible but escalate your complaint and determine if there is a way to have it removed from your credit history.
Jun 11, 2009
767 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
Try CCTS and complain to them. Preauthorization means automation. You shouldn't be blamed for that.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
When someone takes over an account its resetted to 0 for new account holder.

Any outstanding bills are owed by previous owner of line. You in the case.

And if you did it after last billing cycle( aka date billing owed or a few days after ) 2 months would be owed.

Now question is, is it Fido collections calling you or collection agency.

As well any outstanding bill is supposed to be paid prior to transfer, unless a low amount or if you have other lines with them.
× < >