FIDO device protection SUCKS

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 4:24 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote

FIDO device protection SUCKS

I purchased new FIDO cell phone and added the extra device protection for an additional $10 month figuring it was worth the peace of mind.... wrong. I sat on my phone breaking the screen and called FIDO to replace it. They told me that even though the FIDO logo and website info is on the device protection brochure the insurance is handled through a third party company Asurion. Well Asurion wants $10 month for the plan plus a $224 replacement fee on a $550 phone. Well 24 months at $10 month plus $224 is just about the price of a new phone.... so where is the deal here??????

Also Asurion told me that since my current phone is broken that I have to send it back to them and if they don't get it they will charge an additional $400, even if it gets lost in the mail. But if I had told them that the phone was lost or stolen then they would replace the cell phone for the same $224 but that I would not be required to send in or be charged for the missing phone....... ????????
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14142 posts
2361 upvotes
Toronto
Congrats. You fell for the device protection scam.

http://www.fido.ca/cms/pdf/fido_terms_a ... ons-en.pdf

Replacement service fees:
Tier 1 = $25.00
Tier 2 = $80.00
Tier 3 = $120.00
Tier 4 = $200.00
based on the type of device you have covered. (For a complete list of eligible devices and their equipment tier, ask a sales rep or visit www.fido.ca/servicerequest.)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3767 posts
648 upvotes
Brampton ON
Device protection is good only for scammer.
Thank you for your generosity EY CG LJ
Shaw - Freedom Mobile
Virgin Mobile

Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2012
1025 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
My credit card has a benefit called purchase assurance. I made a claim against it for a damaged $700 phone (screen was cracked). Got it fixed. No extra fees. No hassles.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1418 posts
223 upvotes
Vancouver
The protection plan itself is fine, but you should be blaming the rep for not letting you know about the deductible.

That's a hefty deductible though. Wind charges only $149 for the highest tier.
Head-Fi Feedback (18)
eBay Feedback (79)
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14142 posts
2361 upvotes
Toronto
laihama wrote:
Sep 15th, 2016 3:52 pm
My credit card has a benefit called purchase assurance. I made a claim against it for a damaged $700 phone (screen was cracked). Got it fixed. No extra fees. No hassles.
Yup. That's the best way to do it. There are limitations though. For example, the fix for the screen crack for many cards may only be for say 90 days. Then after that it's only for stuff that would normally be fixed under warranty. A cracked screen wouldn't qualify.
berniebennybernard wrote:
Sep 15th, 2016 4:11 pm
The protection plan itself is fine, but you should be blaming the rep for not letting you know about the deductible.

With a deductible that big, it's effectively a scam. Remember, that phone is only listed at $550, and I suspect even that is an inflated price.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1418 posts
223 upvotes
Vancouver
EugW wrote:
Sep 15th, 2016 5:09 pm
With a deductible that big, it's effectively a scam. Remember, that phone is only listed at $550, and I suspect even that is an inflated price.
Not really a scam unless OP didn't get the promised service.

Sure, the deductible might be quite a bit, but it's still money saved if he wanted to buy the phone again.

For example, not calculating taxes - if OP lost his phone after six months, he'd pay $260 for the insurance and deductible. That's $290 less than the $550 price. Even if the phone's retail price drops down to $400, it's still $140 off.

I myself don't get the phone insurance plans because I have extended warranty and purchase protection from my credit card, but for clumsy people it's especially worth it.

OP's complaining because he wasn't educated with regards for the deductible cost and he's calculating the cost of the insurance for the whole two years (which is not realistic compared to 3-6 months).
Head-Fi Feedback (18)
eBay Feedback (79)
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2019 posts
889 upvotes
It's just a scam, nothing more. Save your money and when your phone breaks just get it fixed up at a local shop then offload to some sucker on Kijiji and buy a new one.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
You guys live in dreamland dont you? Yeah buy insurance for $10 month and you can break your $900 phone and get a new one everytime :facepalm:

Its like dental insurance... you pay $40 a week for it but cannot make a claim before 10 months. That's $400. When you are eligible you can only get your teeth cleaned LOL

The only insurance is to take care of your phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2648 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
How is it a scam?

If your iPhone 7, Note 7, or S7/E was lost or stolen, max you pay for a new one is 226.

Those phones cost over a grand for a new one.

It's worthwhile for the highest tier of phones.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3231 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
berniebennybernard wrote:
Sep 15th, 2016 4:11 pm

That's still hefty, Koodo only charges $79(used to be $49).
Dec 20, 2012
710 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
you need to READ everything you sign... read over your terms and condition.. if the device protection plan says something different then you have a case.. otherwise your SOL
Fido $40
Unlimited Province-Wide Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 4GB Data and 1000minute Long distant calling
32GB Gold Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge + 128GB MicroSD card
Apr 16, 2007
583 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I hate to revive An old thread but With the increasing price of phones these days, I’m struggling to see how this sucks. Sure, some specific incident repairs might be cheaper, but this plan covers LOSS and THEFT. I have one or those fancy ass credit cards with purchase assurance, but even IT only covers loss or theft for the first 60 days, not forever.

I’ve lost my iPhone before, so maybe it takes that feeling to realize how worth it this is, but with the monthly fee plus $200 replacement cost, getting your phone replaced under this plan is a hell of a bargain. A premium phone like the iPhone 8 runs about $1000 with tax now.

Perhaps for a screen repair - yeah it’s not worth it, but any other damage like a broken glass back on a new iPhone, will run you about $450. So this is well worth it IMO and I think I will be adding it to my iPhone 8. I already have the $5 value pack, so it’s only $8/month more. After losing my phone once, I’m always stressed about losing it again, you never know when it will accidentally slip out of your pocket and there you go... $1000.