• Oct 13th, 2017 4:24 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3667 posts
404 upvotes
mark2000 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:41 pm
I’m struggling to see how this sucks.
The wireless carrier's protection plan, via Asurion, requires that you send back your damaged/broken phone, has strict limitations on what they cover and doesn't give you a refurbished phone as replacement should you qualify. In terms of pure cost, it's better to just repair/purchase a new phone on your own out of pocket should yours become damaged or broken. If you have an iPhone then only AppleCare should be considered.
mark2000 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:41 pm
I think I will be adding it to my iPhone 8.
Why would you purposely choose a wireless carrier's protection plan over the much, much better and direct service AppleCare?
Apr 16, 2007
580 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
- they don’t require you send back the phone if it’s a lost/stolen claim.
- they will provide with with a loaner or send you the replacement first and then bill you later for a non-returned broken phone if you don’t return it
- AppleCare doesn’t provide loss or theft coverage
- AppleCare is almost $200 with tax. Asurion is less than $100 for the first year.
- net cost of full device replacement thru AppleCare is $350 (including tax, AppleCare fee and device replacement fee) vs. $200 + per month cost for asurion.

I don’t usually go for extended warranties but this different as it includes loss/theft. And like I said, unless you’ve had that happen to you, it’s hard fo describe how it feels.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3667 posts
404 upvotes
mark2000 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:39 pm
- they will provide with with a loaner or send you the replacement first and then bill you later for a non-returned broken phone if you don’t return it
- AppleCare is almost $200 with tax. Asurion is less than $100 for the first year.
- net cost of full device replacement thru AppleCare is $350 (including tax, AppleCare fee and device replacement fee) vs. $200 + per month cost for asurion.
- Of course you can't send back the phone if it's lost or stolen. You have no phone to send back.
- The terms and agreements allow for Asurion to deny a lot of claims which they can make the final decision on. Incidents which aren't covered: incidental, consequential or indirect damages; abuse, misuse or intentional acts; pre-existing failures; cosmetic changes/damages that don’t affect mechanical or electrical function.
- A loaner phone isn't sent to you by default. You have to request it. A deposit is required.
- The loaner phone itself has historically been a Nokia old school-like clamshell.
- In the event that the phone can't be repaired, your replacement phone doesn't have to be the same as your damaged/lost phone.
- You still have to pay the service charge which will almost always be $200 for any/every claim.
- No attempt will be made to save/backup the personal content on your phone.
- If your phone can't be repaired or replaced, you can choose a new phone... with the requirement of signing to a new wireless contract.

AppleCare you'll get a same day same model replacement at the Apple Store. No telecom salesperson would recommend a carrier's protection plan over AppleCare.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1876 posts
856 upvotes
Oakville, ON
mark2000 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:39 pm

I don’t usually go for extended warranties but this different as it includes loss/theft. And like I said, unless you’ve had that happen to you, it’s hard fo describe how it feels.
Your stolen phone would already be covered through your homeowner (or tenant) insurance policy.