Cell Phones

Fido email to text? Is there a $5 charge?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2013 11:03 am
Jun 27, 2012
524 posts
28 upvotes

Fido email to text? Is there a $5 charge?

It says on their website that if you send an email to a Fido customer (for example (1112223333@fido.ca) they have to pay $5 a month for their Email to Text add-on. Replies of course should go back to the sender's email address. I remember sending one to a Fido customer a few months ago and I'm pretty sure she received it and I don't think she was paying for it. Today I've heard they've changed a lot of things in the last 4 months so maybe its different now?

This is a great feature if you're using your phone to reply to email messages when you're out. For $20 a month for the text messaging plan and $5 for this, you can connect completely with everybody.

I was wondering if there are other cell phone companies that perhaps don't charge (last I heard no other ones charge for email to text) and what the lowest cost plan would cost that would allow a few hundred messages per month (incoming and outgoing), whether text or email.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9653 posts
451 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> I remember sending one to a Fido customer a few months ago and I'm pretty sure she received it and I don't think she was paying for it.

It used to be that the Fido number receiving the SMS would pay their regular SMS rates (ie. 25c if they have no SMS plan, or it counts as one sent-SMS towards whatever plan they have). Same deal if someone sends them an SMS via fido.ca.

$5/month for this "service" is a load of crap. Better to just pay $10/month for 100MB of data, and do emails. To help cover the extra $, choose a cheaper SMS plan. SMS prices are the biggest ripoff from mobile providers since the monthly system access fee.
[OP]
Jun 27, 2012
524 posts
28 upvotes
So if you don't need need Wifi it looks like it really does cost $5/mo to get emails to your phone. I wonder if other companies are also doing this? I still think that almost nobody knows about this. Maybe too many people are using this now as the word spreads?
× < >