Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
lookingfortv wrote: Has anyone tested precisely when the new month starts? For EST, does it reset right at midnight?
My guess is that they update data usage online at midnight and at noon? So, must be midnight EST? or local time?
Mar 22, 2015
159 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tichi wrote: My guess is that they update data usage online at midnight and at noon? So, must be midnight EST? or local time?
I'm in EST and downloaded about 80mb last night (yesterday was day 0) starting at 12:01am and checked today and it says I have the full 3gb left.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
lookingfortv wrote: I'm in EST and downloaded about 80mb last night (yesterday was day 0) starting at 12:01am and checked today and it says I have the full 3gb left.
I'm not surprised. I'd previously referred to FIDO as a "random number generator billing", it looks like being run by a bunch of drunkards :) .
Perhaps, they updated your usage at midnight, but they are to slow to post it online without any further delay?

This is all mildly frustrating of course, but do we really have a better option?
I'm ready to suffer from these minor setbacks, just for the best data rate in Canada ;)
Mar 22, 2015
159 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tichi wrote: I'm ready to suffer from these minor setbacks, just for the best data rate in Canada ;)
True that. It's not often I'm racing the clock to use the entire 3gb or in dire need after midnight to use it anyway.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tichi wrote: This is all mildly frustrating of course, but do we really have a better option?
I'm ready to suffer from these minor setbacks, just for the best data rate in Canada ;)
No better option that I'm aware of. To those who are concerned about the excessive cost penalty of going over 3GB I'd suggest thinking of the plan as 2GB/$15 but with a 1GB reserve. Then set the "soft" (warning) threshold to 2GB and the "hard" (full stop) threshold to 2.5Gb or 2.7GB. Then if/when you hit the hard threshold you have some options before the 1GB/$10 starts to kick in. Not an ideal situation, but still the best in Canada.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 16, 2008
627 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote: was it for a plan with tablet? Or for a barebone one?
I have three bare bones. My new bill should be ready tomorrow so I'll report back.
Fido $5/4gb + CPO tablet X1
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Dukman wrote: I have three bare bones. My new bill should be ready tomorrow so I'll report back.
Thanks.. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful so far in getting the same discount for my plan with tablet.
Well, the tabby itself is a little gem, so could not complain much :)
Last edited by Tichi on Oct 5th, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
bylo wrote: No better option that I'm aware of. To those who are concerned about the excessive cost penalty of going over 3GB I'd suggest thinking of the plan as 2GB/$15 but with a 1GB reserve. Then set the "soft" (warning) threshold to 2GB and the "hard" (full stop) threshold to 2.5Gb or 2.7GB. Then if/when you hit the hard threshold you have some options before the 1GB/$10 starts to kick in. Not an ideal situation, but still the best in Canada.
yeah, cannot complain :)
Aug 16, 2008
627 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
Dukman wrote: I have three of these. One was from Fido corporate store in January. Got 2 more in Feb. from an independent mall kiosk. Friend got one in June, also from a kiosk. No cell plan in all cases. So I would say the best bet is non-corporate stores.

And....went on chat today to ask about the 50% loyalty discount for 12 months discussed in this thread. First was denied because of no cell phone plan. Rep checked again and was able to find the discount and applied it. Waiting for my next bill. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Just got my bill.Discount applied to overages as well. Good for 12 months. Happy camper here.

Feb 25, 2005
13 posts
1 upvote
Waterloo ON
Dukman wrote: Just got my bill.Discount applied to overages as well. Good for 12 months. Happy camper here.

Were you able to get a code for that discount? The reps I’ve talked with can’t find it.
Aug 16, 2008
627 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't get a code. The bill reads "Credit: Loyalty Offer - 50% Rebate Data"
Feb 25, 2005
13 posts
1 upvote
Waterloo ON
Still trying to get the loyalty discount through chat and I keep getting "I am not showing any loyalty discounts available for data only lines". It would help if someone out there could supply a code. Thanks
Sep 19, 2017
7 posts
2 upvotes
Just an FYI if anyone is trying to get a Fido data-only plan without a cell plan... its still doable. I pulled it off a couple weeks ago. I was denied by about 6 different places before i finally found someone who didn't realize they weren't suppose to sell it without a talk/text plan.
Aug 16, 2008
627 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
joelchickey wrote: Just an FYI if anyone is trying to get a Fido data-only plan without a cell plan... its still doable. I pulled it off a couple weeks ago. I was denied by about 6 different places before i finally found someone who didn't realize they weren't suppose to sell it without a talk/text plan.
Thanks for informing us of that. I think there are still dealers out there that can get around the system. I found a kiosk in a mall and they said they would do it. never give up. :twisted:
Feb 11, 2012
144 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Costco guys if you want this done without a talk / text plan
Oct 29, 2016
316 posts
137 upvotes
http://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets

I have been waiting for this day for a long time.
It looks like you need to be an existing postpaid customer.
You can have someone with a Fido account get the plan for you and do a transfer of responsibility.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 2nd, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer edit
Oct 19, 2011
662 posts
196 upvotes
This can def go under hot deals. Last year it got insane with the g pad 3 being $0 and best buy offering a $50 gift card.
Aug 7, 2016
55 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks a lot. Been waiting this for a while. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Looks like I need to be FIDO customer first. How can I get around it?
Last edited by earlofmarch on Nov 2nd, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)