Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Nov 25, 2014
12 posts
1 upvote
Canada
Dukman wrote: I got mine last March at a Fido kiosk in Yorkgate Mall Jane & Finch. I think they would be a good bet still. I have 3 data plans and no voice plan.

fido-fido-3gb-lte-data-plan-15-byod-no- ... #p28462687
Went to Yorkgate Mall this afternoon - i was the only one at the kiosk. Told Fido rep. i wanted the 3GB/$15/mo. deal. I told him i was already a customer & got the deal from them last December. He said, "No problem" Tried to get out of paying the $25 activation fee but he said it wasn't up to the individual stores/kiosks to waive fee. He tried to charge me the $10 SIM card fee but was able to waive that if, when i got the customer satisfaction survey, i gave them/him a 10 rating so he'd get his bonus. Hey, i had no problem because it was a favour for a favour & he did offer terrific, fast service!

Thanks again 'Dukman' - seems i was as fortunate as you were. :)
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
websurferdude wrote: Went to Yorkgate Mall this afternoon - i was the only one at the kiosk. Told Fido rep. i wanted the 3GB/$15/mo. deal. I told him i was already a customer & got the deal from them last December. He said, "No problem" Tried to get out of paying the $25 activation fee but he said it wasn't up to the individual stores/kiosks to waive fee. He tried to charge me the $10 SIM card fee but was able to waive that if, when i got the customer satisfaction survey, i gave them/him a 10 rating so he'd get his bonus. Hey, i had no problem because it was a favour for a favour & he did offer terrific, fast service!

I was actually promised the activation fee waved from a wireless wave within a bill or two.

Will report back when i get it :)
Jun 19, 2005
786 posts
17 upvotes
If i use the 3gb data plan just to use an app like Textme, if I make a phone call using Textme its using Data so there is no voice charges to incur correct?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9449 posts
11805 upvotes
Calgary
jstyle wrote: If i use the 3gb data plan just to use an app like Textme, if I make a phone call using Textme its using Data so there is no voice charges to incur correct?
Yes. You should google this stuff so you don’t mess it up.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
SuperDuperDeveloper wrote: Subject to change without notice is pretty suspect imo.
Can you be a bit less vague about what you're referring to and why it's "pretty suspect"? Or is this some sort of puzzle we're supposed to solve?

The only reference to "subject to change without notice" in this thread that I can find is in respect of an earlier version of this offer:
LG G Pad III: Offer available until July 4, 2017, while quantities last, and subject to change without notice.
What's "suspect" about that?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
xsomsicarius wrote: So how much is the saving in tax for switching to Alberta?
Dunno. You don't indicate your location so how could anyone here know?

In any case, ($15 * your province's HST rate) - ($15 * 0.05) = ?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4017 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
Youcanbyteme wrote: Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
The nexus 5 is a slab, and most slabs make for poor phones. The only reason you get barely passable audio is that the phone's hardware echo cancellation is in full force.

As far as Fongo is concerned, that app does not have access to Nexus' hardware echo cancellation, and Fongo's software echo cancellation is just not that good. There is a fix though, get a wired headset for your phone. Most headsets are designed so that the mic will not pick up the sounds from the earphone, and when that happens, there is no audio feedback. I would stay away from a bluetooth headset, because Fongo's support for Bluetooth headsets are experimental.

Other than paying money for a headset, I do not see what spending more money is going to get you. For me, Fongo is sufficient 99% of the time, and as long as you have a decent LTE signal, you are golden!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4017 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
jstyle wrote: If i use the 3gb data plan just to use an app like Textme, if I make a phone call using Textme its using Data so there is no voice charges to incur correct?
Yes. If you call or receive calls using Text me, your data will be used, And if you use wifi, none of your data gets used when you make a phone call or text with Text me

If I were you though, once you get the plan, I would call Fido, and get them to disable texting and calls on your tablet plan. That way, whatever you use to make a call, you will never get charged for a call from Fido. The call will simply not go through if it is a Fido voice call or text.
Nov 18, 2017
12 posts
4 upvotes
Just wanted to post My Milage So Far... on getting this plan for an Ipad I already have.

Went to a kiosk in Hamilton,, two guys there tried for an hour to help me get the 3GB data plan, no contract, not a current customer. They got stuck on thier computer screen when it asked for my existing account number, that I did not have. Asked them what if I were to sign up for a voice, text, data plan, and then asked ordered the data plan if I could then cancel the mobile plan a month later. They both agreed that would work.
Went to a BB store on my way home,, got the same results.
Got home, went online and opened a new account for a voice, text data mobile account. Open them online, no $25 fee.
Waited a couple days, set up an online account at fido.ca then contacted fido chat to order the data only plan for my tablet..
I dont have the sim card for the mobile plan, its still in the mail.
The chat agent got me all set up, then dropped the bomb on me and said if I were to ever cancel the mobile plan, the data plan will also be canceled.
So,, I said to hold off on the data plan, and I will be canceling my mobile plan.

This offer may as well be considered a contract, if that is the case. Dose anyone here think they would actually cancel a data only plan that is in good standing?

Im hoping someone on here will report if they were able to sign up for this as a new customer. Somewhere West of Toronto. Im willing to drive to Mississauga, to get this plan,, but not really any further.
Aug 16, 2008
627 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
websurferdude wrote: Went to Yorkgate Mall this afternoon - i was the only one at the kiosk. Told Fido rep. i wanted the 3GB/$15/mo. deal. I told him i was already a customer & got the deal from them last December. He said, "No problem" Tried to get out of paying the $25 activation fee but he said it wasn't up to the individual stores/kiosks to waive fee. He tried to charge me the $10 SIM card fee but was able to waive that if, when i got the customer satisfaction survey, i gave them/him a 10 rating so he'd get his bonus. Hey, i had no problem because it was a favour for a favour & he did offer terrific, fast service!

Thanks for letting us know the good news.
Fido $5/4gb + CPO tablet X1
Nov 27, 2014
107 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got this plan way last year (Think Feb 2016) but now I have a dual sim phone and I want to get a second data sim for 6 GB of LTE goodness

Has anyone gotten any luck of signing up for this without a voice plan in Toronto/Mississauga? I'm in Etobicoke but I don't mind busing between those two cities
Nov 19, 2017
2 posts
I got this set up rather quick and easy over the weekend. I told the rep what I was looking for and he had no issues giving it to me.

New customer. No existing or new Fido mobile plan needed.
Data sim only.
$15 for 3GB (overage rates: $10/1GB)
$25 connection charge on the first bill.
Free SIM card.

Very professional young man. Give him a text to set up an appointment.

Located in Mississauga.
Cell: (647) 494-2527
Sep 27, 2007
256 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver
buckhunter wrote: The chat agent got me all set up, then dropped the bomb on me and said if I were to ever cancel the mobile plan, the data plan will also be canceled.
I was hoping to get this data plan then drop my Fido mobile plan by porting it over to Fongo :(
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8469 posts
4465 upvotes
Canuckland
You gotta disable everything else because they will sneak charges in, I've been there
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
KanieWest wrote: I got this plan way last year (Think Feb 2016) but now I have a dual sim phone and I want to get a second data sim for 6 GB of LTE goodness

Has anyone gotten any luck of signing up for this without a voice plan in Toronto/Mississauga? I'm in Etobicoke but I don't mind busing between those two cities
I set up mine at North York centre fido store (same building as North York library). Didn't have anything with fido before that.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
DealCanuck wrote: You gotta disable everything else because they will sneak charges in, I've been there
I diasgree. They do not "sneak" charges in?

If you accidentally make or answer a phone call, then yes you'll get charged as per the terms of service. no sneaking.
If you send a text then yes you'll get charged as per the terms of service. no sneaking.

The only thing i've heard that is close to "sneaking" is the iMessage thing which isn't fido's fault. And this may have even been changed in the latest iOS. If you try to iMessage a friend with a data message, but you have a momentary data outage, iMessage will be "smart" and send an SMS to that friend instead without asking you first. And on this fido plan you'd get charged for that.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
2damax wrote: I was hoping to get this data plan then drop my Fido mobile plan by porting it over to Fongo :(
I do not think they cancel your data plan if you drop your mobile phone plan. Does not make sense..
Therr is a bunch of ppl around with barebone data plans...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)