Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:32 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2016
1577 posts
4030 upvotes
netusername wrote: For iPhone, jailbreak if possible and install some kind of backgrounding tweak. That's the only other solution other than opening the Fongo app every couple of hours or so.

I have tested and talked with the Fongo iOS extensively and the devs can't do more to address this issue as this is apple's limitation.

Not sure what's up with android not receiving calls after some time... Android should be flawless given its openness and customizability. Maybe try playing around with Tasker killing the app and reopening if not on call...would love to hear a working solution or a successful configuration.
Ah I see, unfortunately it's for the old folk and they've already updated the phone beyond the jailbreak OS version number. I'm going to pause updates beyond this one now but it'll be a while before I can jailbreak anything.

For android, it wasn't mine so I can't say what they've tried but you're right it should work.

Thanks so much!
Banned
Apr 11, 2012
870 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
DeltaSingh wrote: Ah I see, unfortunately it's for the old folk and they've already updated the phone beyond the jailbreak OS version number. I'm going to pause updates beyond this one now but it'll be a while before I can jailbreak anything.

For android, it wasn't mine so I can't say what they've tried but you're right it should work.

Thanks so much!
If I lost my jailbreak, Fongo cannot be reliable because of inactivity OR a background switch between wifi and mobile data then I'd use some other Voip (voip.ms, etc) for incoming calls and use Voico for outgoing on iOS.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2016
1577 posts
4030 upvotes
netusername wrote: If I lost my jailbreak, Fongo cannot be reliable because of inactivity OR a background switch between wifi and mobile data then I'd use some other Voip (voip.ms, etc) for incoming calls and use Voico for outgoing on iOS.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to block updates on the iphone and wait for a 10.3 jailbreak. I'll switch to this some other time. Given how wildly successful this has been, I'm sure Fido will do this again. Right now they have a $25 1gb plan, so no big deal to keep that for a little while.

Things like voip.ms and different apps for different things is too much for my old folks. Best to keep it simple.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2101 posts
231 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
Where have people been successful with activation in Ottawa without an existing plan?

And whats to stop someone from taking a standard plan +tablet plan and cancel a day later?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
Costco will also do it on new activations but u need to do a credit check tho so im presumming its a contract? 15.00 a month
Love saving money......
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
sassysue wrote: Costco will also do it on new activations but u need to do a credit check tho so im presumming its a contract? 15.00 a month
Whether you sign a contract or not, there's a credit check. This is a postpaid plan.

For those having issues with fongo, how often are you missing calls?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
dgnr8 wrote:
Whether you sign a contract or not, there's a credit check. This is a postpaid plan.

Im paying 60.00 a month atm for freedom with the fido plan i would just use textnow and transfer my current number to freephoneline.ca like i did for my home number and forward everything my freephoneline.ca is awesome voice quality
Love saving money......
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
sassysue wrote: Im paying 60.00 a month atm for freedom with the fido plan i would just use textnow and transfer my current number to freephoneline.ca like i did for my home number and forward everything my freephoneline.ca is awesome voice quality
I'm only asking because I have been using fongo since august and I'm not having the same issues.

I miss calls maybe once a week and only know because I get emailed the voicemail.

I do randomly open the app when I pick up my phone.
Nov 27, 2011
566 posts
267 upvotes
sassysue wrote: Costco will also do it on new activations but u need to do a credit check tho so im presumming its a contract? 15.00 a month
The Costco near me said the tablet would cost another 10$ a month. When I asked to have the plan without the tablet they said I couldn't unless I gave them proof I already had a tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
bleysX wrote:
The Costco near me said the tablet would cost another 10$ a month. When I asked to have the plan without the tablet they said I couldn't unless I gave them proof I already had a tablet.
Weird the costco kitchener will activate without a tablet and a will do it onto my phone instead but YMMV. I do have a ipad with sim card so technically i could use that. But wouldnt know how to switch the imei numbers
Love saving money......
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
sassysue wrote: Should of went with the free tablet deal arghhh it should come back up soon i hope curious can you use this with the rogers prepaid for 1 yr for 120 00 and use the 3gb data on a dual sim?
Yes, this works. In my dual sim phone, I have 711-Speakout for voice and Fido for data. Just be sure not to use the Fido sim for voice or texting or you will be billed for it. In the settings, you should be able to indicate which sim is used for which activity.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sassysue wrote: Weird the costco kitchener will activate without a tablet and a will do it onto my phone instead but YMMV. I do have a ipad with sim card so technically i could use that. But wouldnt know how to switch the imei numbers
My Fido SIM has never seen the inside of a tablet. There's no requirement that you use the SIM with a tablet, nor is there a requirement that you give Fido the IMEI of your device. Just tell the agent that you left your device at home. They'll put a dummy IMEI(*) into the system and you're good to go. When you get home insert the SIM into the device of your choice.

(*) The standard one that Fido uses is 14x2+8, i.e. 222222222222228.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
so for example i could use this just for the data correct on a single sim phone? and just use apps like textnow ect and forward my calls and texts to my textnow number way cheaper than paying 60.00 a month to freedom!
Love saving money......
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
sassysue wrote: so for example i could use this just for the data correct on a single sim phone? and just use apps like textnow ect and forward my calls and texts to my textnow number way cheaper than paying 60.00 a month to freedom!
How to use apps for calling and texting has been discussed many times over in this and the previous expired deal thread. If you are paying $60 to suffer with freedom, you have a lot of options that included full featured plans that would yields savings and a superior user experience.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sassysue wrote: so for example i could use this just for the data correct on a single sim phone? and just use apps like textnow ect and forward my calls and texts to my textnow number way cheaper than paying 60.00 a month to freedom!
You can use this SIM in any unlocked smartphone. You can install VoIP apps like TextNow or Fongo for calling/texting in place of Fido's cell voice and texting. I've been doing that for over a year now.

Call forwarding is another matter. As I understand it, you can CF your Fido-assigned number to TextNow or Fongo but Fido will charge you on a per-minute basis. You can port an existing number to Fongo for a one-time $25 fee. (But don't do that with your Fido-assigned number or you'll lose this plan!) TextNow doesn't port-in numbers, or at least they didn't a year ago when I asked them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
will888 wrote: How to use apps for calling and texting has been discussed many times over in this and the previous expired deal thread. If you are paying $60 to suffer with freedom, you have a lot of options that included full featured plans that would yields savings and a superior user experience.
im debating of going with a contract ive tried around at various places and to get a premium phone im at around 100 a month with a iphone 7 or a google pixel some plans were like 120 a month.... But i hardly ever go out anyways the most i do is go out fishing......So the 15.00 a month makes sense for me because the most i do is either text or use wifi i need something reliable when i go fishing god forbid i need to call someone or someone that needs to call me! thanks
Love saving money......
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
sassysue wrote: im debating of going with a contract ive tried around at various places and to get a premium phone im at around 100 a month with a iphone 7 or a google pixel some plans were like 120 a month.... But i hardly ever go out anyways the most i do is go out fishing......So the 15.00 a month makes sense for me because the most i do is either text or use wifi i need something reliable when i go fishing god forbid i need to call someone or someone that needs to call me! thanks
How many minutes do you currently use a month? Are they mostly outgoing or incoming?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sassysue wrote: So the 15.00 a month makes sense for me because the most i do is either text or use wifi i need something reliable when i go fishing god forbid i need to call someone or someone that needs to call me! thanks
You can still make cell voice calls and texts using the Fido-assigned number. The issue is that this costs $1/min and 25¢/text (IIRC, Fido can confirm.) That adds up fast if you use it regularly. But if it's only a few minutes per month or only in emergencies when TextNow/Fongo doesn't work, then it may still be cheaper than other plans.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
dgnr8 wrote: How many minutes do you currently use a month? Are they mostly outgoing or incoming?
not even 1 hour im debating of using the 120yr rogers prepaid plan and use that with the fido 3gb data! i need to upgrade my phone tho because my lg g4 doesn't have dual sim.... may order one of the Chinese phones with dual sims!

The textnow may work in my favor tho im not looking to use the phone number that will be used for the data only!

Now im just waiting for unlock code for my 2 phones LG G4 and the huawai g7 to unlock from freedom so i can use the sim on 1 phone and see if its worth it for me to get rid of freedom or not!
Last edited by sassysue on Apr 2nd, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love saving money......
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote: Whether you sign a contract or not, there's a credit check. This is a postpaid plan.

When I downloaded the app in November, as long as the background app refresh was on, Fongo would always stay active in the background. Since an update in January, the app now closes every few hours and I've been missing a few calls a month.

So I'm thinking of either porting my number over to Hushed (another Canadian company) and either getting their lifetime subscription or unlimited monthly plan (both are decent). I considered textnow, but quality isn't great, it's unreliable according to the reviews, and you can't port your number.

Iplum and line2 would be my backup options, as they both let you port a Canadian number, but are more pricey. Quality and features with both are pretty good though.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)