Hot Deals

[Fido] [Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 4:27 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36624 posts
7233 upvotes
Surprised only a couple of people missed the 3 GB allotment and there hasn't been a lot of beatching.
Dec 6, 2012
42 posts
10 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Mickey21444 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 4:22 pm
I self referred and so have many others and there have been no problems getting the $50
Maybe you were lucky or you must have said something that made them think you opened it for another person.

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/whyfido/referafriend.

from the link above on Fido website:

What you should know

Before you start referring your friends, make sure of the following:

You must have been an active customer for a minimum of 15 days and you must use a different referral code per referred friend.
You must get a referral code before your friend activates a Fido number. Your friend must provide the referral code to the representative before the line activation process starts (or during the activation flow if activating service online).
Both of you must keep your services active for a minimal period of 90 days, at which time the credit will be applied to both accounts.
You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation. That is, you're either related to one another or it would be reasonable to conclude that you have a personal relationship with the person (and in each case the relationship includes direct, voluntary, two-way communication).
You cannot refer yourself. If you have multiple lines on the same account, the name of the user must be different.
Certain types of accounts are excluded from the program.
Jan 12, 2017
177 posts
59 upvotes
donbamo wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 5:04 pm
Maybe you were lucky or you must have said something that made them think you opened it for another person.

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/whyfido/referafriend.

from the link above on Fido website:

What you should know

Before you start referring your friends, make sure of the following:

You must have been an active customer for a minimum of 15 days and you must use a different referral code per referred friend.
You must get a referral code before your friend activates a Fido number. Your friend must provide the referral code to the representative before the line activation process starts (or during the activation flow if activating service online).
Both of you must keep your services active for a minimal period of 90 days, at which time the credit will be applied to both accounts.
You can only refer individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship to ensure compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation. That is, you're either related to one another or it would be reasonable to conclude that you have a personal relationship with the person (and in each case the relationship includes direct, voluntary, two-way communication).
You cannot refer yourself. If you have multiple lines on the same account, the name of the user must be different.
Certain types of accounts are excluded from the program.
Ya, I'm aware of what they say on their site. Back in December you will see there was a big conversation in this thread and lots of people self-referred without issue. They don't care.

Both my accounts had same name and same address.
Jan 24, 2015
79 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal, QC
alanharpar wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:18 am
I miss the 3GB for $15 tablet plan
Odds are high, promo 3GB $15 will be back. Just wait.
I bet August, just before school starts.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12552 posts
4532 upvotes
Kitchener
Mickey21444 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 5:08 pm
Ya, I'm aware of what they say on their site. Back in December you will see there was a big conversation in this thread and lots of people self-referred without issue. They don't care.

Both my accounts had same name and same address.
True, but that argument wont work when an agent shoots him down pointing policy violation !! thats why he needs something on record saying that he wasn't self referring himself but it was the agent who messed it up during set up.
Jan 12, 2017
177 posts
59 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:28 pm
True, but that argument wont work when an agent shoots him down pointing policy violation !! thats why he needs something on record saying that he wasn't self referring himself but it was the agent who messed it up during set up.
I think as long as you have the activation code and phone in with that, they usually don't ask questions. If they do, hang up and try again.

I phoned in to get mine applied. Just said "hi, my name is X, this is the activation code. Please apply it to the account as it's been over 90 days." Done.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12552 posts
4532 upvotes
Kitchener
Mickey21444 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:54 pm
I think as long as you have the activation code and phone in with that, they usually don't ask questions. If they do, hang up and try again.

I phoned in to get mine applied. Just said "hi, my name is X, this is the activation code. Please apply it to the account as it's been over 90 days." Done.
Why not just do it properly ?! when registering just add a new user to your account and assign the line to him/her, no need to take it from "100% legit" to "YMMV depending on the rep tendency to bend the rules over for you".
Problem with guy above is it seems he was just assured that he was all set for "referral" and that was it, good chance rep failed to add the referral after the chat ended and just went his own way.
Apr 24, 2013
97 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
This is not a good deal anymore. I got the 3gb for this price.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9564 posts
2759 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
john5170 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 2:42 am
Where else can you get even 2GB for $15 with no contract, no need to bundle with a voice plan, 4G, free extended roaming, no usage restrictions, etc?

Even 2GB/$15 is still a good deal, albeit not as good as 3GB/$15. And of course, 3GB/$15 isn't as good a deal as 3GB/$15 with a free tablet.

Moreover after 90 days you can call in and get the 50% loyalty discount which is even better.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Feb 25, 2015
426 posts
260 upvotes
NB
john5170 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 2:42 am
Bell and Koodo offered 1GB for $5, as dedicated tablet plan and phone plan add-on, respectively. That was even better.
"The things you own end up owning you..." (c)
Sep 13, 2008
316 posts
51 upvotes
I am with Fido, and did not jump on this deal earlier. I just received an offer from them for 3GB tablet plan with a free LG GPad 3 on a 2 year contract. I have one month to take the offer.

So this deal is still floating around through some other channels.
Dec 15, 2009
680 posts
12 upvotes
Leask
max011 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 3:01 pm
OK, so I gave it a try this morning again. And, 'done in 60 seconds' Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[5 minutes actually!]

Here:

Hi,
I was thinking of cancelling this data line, however my co-worker is insisting that there is a loyalty credit for 50% off for people who’ve been on the plan for over 90 days [or 180 days?] without the contract [as in who didn’t get a “free” tablet.] Would you be able to confirm and apply this?

11:29 AM Connected. A Fido representative will be with you shortly.
11:29 AM Support session established with [TheRep].
11:29 AM [TheRep]:
Hey, I’m [TheRep]. May I please have your full name and either your Fido phone number or account number? I’ll send you a secure form to ID you afterwards.
11:29 AM MAX011:
Hi again :-) looks like I got disconnected...
11:31 AM [TheRep]:
Perfect, thanks MAX011. I was about to tell you that you are eligible for the 50% discount for data only lines for 12 months. Would you like me to go ahead and add this discount?
11:32 AM MAX011:
Yes, please do so, I'll be very happy!
11:32 AM [TheRep]:
Alright, just one moment please.
11:33 AM [TheRep]:
Thank you for waiting. I have applied the discount for you. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
11:33 AM MAX011:
No, [TheRep], thanks a lot for your fast and efficient help!
11:34 AM [TheRep]:
You're welcome. Thank you for using our chat services. I am glad that I was able to help you today! Have an awesome day! :)
----

So, yes, rules definitely changed. Much, much easier to deal with Fido now! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I was just denied via chat - used the same request you did.

edit: I then called and spoke to a rep. At first she didn't know about the 50% off for 12 months but she found it eventually. Got the discount this way instead.
Mar 29, 2017
5 posts
G0AT wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:21 am
I am with Fido, and did not jump on this deal earlier. I just received an offer from them for 3GB tablet plan with a free LG GPad 3 on a 2 year contract. I have one month to take the offer.

So this deal is still floating around through some other channels.
Possible to share that channel?
Jan 12, 2017
177 posts
59 upvotes
Anyone have further information about the new "Fongo works" that was just released? Can you send and receive MMS?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1299 posts
285 upvotes
Mickey21444 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:16 am
Anyone have further information about the new "Fongo works" that was just released? Can you send and receive MMS?
Other than the automated receptionist it's not much different except it doesn't even have free calling right now (though coming soon). It looks like geared more for business users.
Current Favorites: Fido $15/3GB & My Mall Box
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel