[Fido] [Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 4:09 pm
May 5, 2008
599 posts
128 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:57 am
Nobody who got the free tablet has yet to get the 50% loyalty discount, AFAIK. I wouldn't hold too much hope of this happening and being able to 'double dip', but I guess you guys will find out in June.
With tablet, may be, may be not.
Even on the plans without the tablet, 50% off means they are NOW selling you the data for $2.5/GB, which is close to $3/GB estimation above.

And even with this price, FIDO is still able to feed all that clueless hungry army of their customer agents :)

Means data is dirty cheap in reality :) I wish there could be wholesaler of the mobile data, purely online, using the model like Public mobile.
And where one can buy a bucket of say 50GB, and use it at your own will.
I wonder what price one might get then? 1$/GB?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10389 posts
1310 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:05 am
With tablet, may be, may be not.
Even on the plans without the tablet, 50% off means they are NOW selling you the data for $2.5/GB, which is close to $3/GB estimation above.

And even with this price, FIDO is still able to feed all that clueless hungry army of their customer agents :)

Means data is dirty cheap in reality :) I wish there could be wholesaler of the mobile data, purely online, using the model like Public mobile.
And where one can buy a bucket of say 50GB, and use it at your own will.
I wonder what price one might get then? 1$/GB?
I got the 50% off, but I'm not on contract, no tablet. I can legit cancel anytime.

All cell service is dirt cheap to provide, we get screwed in Ontario due to the Bell / Rogers / Telus oligopoly. The profit margins on cell service are enormous.
May 5, 2008
599 posts
128 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:07 am
I got the 50% off, but I'm not on contract, no tablet. I can legit cancel anytime.

All cell service is dirt cheap to provide, we get screwed in Ontario due to the Bell / Rogers / Telus oligopoly. The profit margins on cell service are enormous.
Hopefully, the oligopoly begins to deteriorate a bit. With FIDO, PM etc beginning to bail out.
They are of course still the trolls of the Big3, and are oriented at the niche of cheapos like us RFD'ers,
but probably BIg3 realized that it is not advantageous for them to extort Canadian THAT MUCH!

A year or two ago, $10/GB seemed like not bad price.

Now you are getting it at $2.5/GB, which is already comparable to e.g. Western European standard?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10389 posts
1310 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:16 am
Hopefully, the oligopoly begins to deteriorate a bit. With FIDO, PM etc beginning to bail out.
They are of course still the trolls of the Big3, and are oriented at the niche of cheapos like us RFD'ers,
but probably BIg3 realized that it is not advantageous for them to extort Canadian THAT MUCH!

A year or two ago, $10/GB seemed like not bad price.

Now you are getting it at $2.5/GB, which is already comparable to e.g. Western European standard?
Public Mobile can be killed at any time and just rolled into Koodo. Would not surprise me one bit if this happened. It's been over 2 years since the Telus buyout. Look at what Rogers just did with Mobilicity --> Chatr.

I would not hold my breath on the oligopoly deteriorating.
May 5, 2008
599 posts
128 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:18 am
Public Mobile can be killed at any time and just rolled into Koodo. Would not surprise me one bit if this happened. It's been over 2 years since the Telus buyout. Look at what Rogers just did with Mobilicity --> Chatr.

I would not hold my breath on the oligopoly deteriorating.
:) I'm not saying Dr.Evil is dead yet.

But the hard fact is - FIDO is selling you mobile data now for $2.5/GB.
So far, I like the trend ;)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6720 posts
868 upvotes
Sister telling me her incoming calls on zoiper app, via voip.ms has no sound all of a sudden. Anyone experience the same thing?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8878 posts
3207 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:45 am
...Best you're gonna do is sign up on the 2 year contract and get the free tablet, sell it, and use that money towards the phone of your choice.
I think I played this pretty well. What I did was, before this plan got widespread, sold the tablet for $200, did a bunch of referrals and our tween was handed down my wife's iPhone. The kijiji money and credits together amounted to a little over 2y of free service. My kid's account is in a large negative balance so I doubt they'll give me $7.50 retention, and I'm not going to even try. It's great as it is.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8878 posts
3207 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I should add that although I originally blocked text at setup, last month my kid was charged $1 for MMS when iMessage wasn't working, and Fido had to re-block it when I called in yesterday.
Nov 27, 2011
340 posts
106 upvotes
NEPEAN
boogerlad2 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:19 pm
I lied about using an ipad. I have tried the sim in three android devices so far and changed apn settings. nothing worked. Changing another sim into the same three devices works fine. It's a new policy.
I just signed up for the Lg Pad III and 3GB for 15$/mo (targeted, there's another thread around about it). I asked the guy on the phone if it included tethering and he said "yes of course" as if he was shocked that I'd even ask. We shall see I suppose.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9757 posts
2863 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:53 am
People are getting spoiled and are getting silly expectations. Now people wanna pay $7.50 a month a get a free phone instead of a tablet, etc.
I'm quite happy paying $15 for 3GB. (I had been paying $10 for 100MB.) But if Fido wants to give me $7.50 x 12 = $90 in addition to the free G Pad, the $25 referral bonus, the $50 BBM GC, etc. to keep me as a customer then I'll wait my 6 months and then ask. If they say yes, then great, bring it on. If not, well I'm still a happy customer.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Apr 24, 2017
14 posts
2 upvotes
yeah, I think if you get the plan while financing a tablet from them, tethering is enabled.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9757 posts
2863 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tichi wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:55 am
Reflects the real cost of the mobile data (dirty cheap?) ;) .
For $360, it is profitable to FIDO to sell you the LG tablet and $72 GB of the data bucket (over the period of two years).

Let us say, the tablet is $120 realistically. Then the data is $3/GB, and Fido is still extracting profits from you.

This is also corroborated by their willingness to slash the price of the data plan by 50% as a loyalty offer :)
Just because some profit/service is profitable doesn't mean the seller has to sell it to us at near cost. To the contrary, in a free market system the seller wants to price their product/service as high as possible to remain competitive. No one else is selling 3GB for $15 without restrictions or contracts. So why should Fido charge any less?
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
May 5, 2008
599 posts
128 upvotes
bylo wrote:
May 16th, 2017 1:06 pm
Just because some profit/service is profitable doesn't mean the seller has to sell it to us at near cost. To the contrary, in a free market system the seller wants to price their product/service as high as possible to remain competitive. No one else is selling 3GB for $15 without restrictions or contracts. So why should Fido charge any less?
I`m not saying FIDO should (do anything).
I`m merely pointing out the hard fact, that this story reveals - mobile data is dirt cheap! :)

And we, customers, should NOT be charged THAT much for it :) If true market were in play, I m sure we would not pay that much.
But regardless, it all creeps slowly towards the true market rates...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6769 posts
843 upvotes
Winnipeg
is this still on? Is data roaming unlimited in canada or is it just province based coverage only.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2465 posts
614 upvotes
Halifax
lead wrote:
May 16th, 2017 2:05 pm
is this still on? Is data roaming unlimited in canada or is it just province based coverage only.
Still on. Might need to be a Fido customer now but should get the deal if you get the right csr. Works all over most of canada at the same price
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel