Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] [Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 1:01 pm
Jan 12, 2017
271 posts
96 upvotes
Ok so I have a pretty interesting scenario and if anyone has advice or knowledge on the topic, I would appreciate it.

Apparently someone has hacked my phone number and signed up for a Spotify account. I'm being charged $11.30 this month (finally credited back after speaking to 4 reps), but all the reps told me to speak to Spotify to cancel the Spotify account because they can't do it. I spoke with 2 different reps at Spotify and they say they can't cancel it because it's bundled to Fido. So it seems like nobody knows how to cancel this fraudulent Spotify account and I assume I will get charged again next month.

So, is there a charge to change my Fido number? And also, when is the best time to do this since I heard after changing your number they may bill you again for the month?

Thanks in advance
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10161 posts
3100 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Mickey21444 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:43 pm
So, is there a charge to change my Fido number? And also, when is the best time to do this since I heard after changing your number they may bill you again for the month?
There's no charge to change your number. (But will that really stop the charges?) When I did it almost a year ago they did charge me the $15+HST twice in the month of change. It's possible they've fixed this bug in their current billing system, e.g. by prorating usage on the two numbers. However even if not, they readily reversed the second charge when I raised this issue with them by Chat.

I suppose you could do the number switch at the end of a billing cycle. But do you do that on the last day (and risk being charged a full month on the new number) or on the first day (and risk being charged for one day on the old number)?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12420 posts
4020 upvotes
Oakville
Mickey21444 wrote:
I don't believe changing your number will do anything - I presume it's tied to the Fido *account* associated with that number, not the specific number itself.
Public Mobile
Jan 12, 2017
271 posts
96 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
May 18th, 2017 3:09 pm
I don't believe changing your number will do anything - I presume it's tied to the Fido *account* associated with that number, not the specific number itself.
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I assume it would be the phone number because I've had the account for 5 months and I never signed up for Spotify. When I asked how this happened, they said "your phone number was used to sign up for the account in mid April."

It's very weird, because if the phone number was used, wouldn't a text with a code or something have been sent to confirm the purchase of Spotify? The whole thing kind of doesn't make sense to me.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12420 posts
4020 upvotes
Oakville
Mickey21444 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 3:20 pm
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I assume it would be the phone number because I've had the account for 5 months and I never signed up for Spotify. When I asked how this happened, they said "your phone number was used to sign up for the account in mid April."

It's very weird, because if the phone number was used, wouldn't a text with a code or something have been sent to confirm the purchase of Spotify? The whole thing kind of doesn't make sense to me.
When I signed up for free Spotify premium through my Rogers account back in the day, I had to login to my Rogers account in order to activate the Spotify on it. Looking at Spotify's "sign up for premium" payment options right now, there's no way from the Spotify website to "bill to my phone company" - so I assume the only way to add Spotify to your Fido account is from the Fido side, which would lead me to believe that something about your Fido account is compromised. Do you see anything in your Fido self service area that looks like it might be related to Spotify?
Public Mobile
Jan 12, 2017
271 posts
96 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
May 18th, 2017 4:31 pm
When I signed up for free Spotify premium through my Rogers account back in the day, I had to login to my Rogers account in order to activate the Spotify on it. Looking at Spotify's "sign up for premium" payment options right now, there's no way from the Spotify website to "bill to my phone company" - so I assume the only way to add Spotify to your Fido account is from the Fido side, which would lead me to believe that something about your Fido account is compromised. Do you see anything in your Fido self service area that looks like it might be related to Spotify?
Nope, it goes through the charge itself (saying it's from Spotify), but nothing more.

Only thing on the account that's there that I don't have anymore is the monthly cost left for the tablet that I already sold.
Nov 15, 2007
434 posts
81 upvotes
Mickey21444 wrote:
I changed the number not long ago. You will be double charged no matter when you change your number. You have to call or live chat to get it refund. They know this system bug.
Jan 12, 2017
271 posts
96 upvotes
gzlwl wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:29 pm
I changed the number not long ago. You will be double charged no matter when you change your number. You have to call or live chat to get it refund. They know this system bug.
Ugh that's annoying. Thanks for letting me know though!
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12420 posts
4020 upvotes
Oakville
Mickey21444 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:00 pm
Nope, it goes through the charge itself (saying it's from Spotify), but nothing more.

Only thing on the account that's there that I don't have anymore is the monthly cost left for the tablet that I already sold.
I don't mean on your bill - I mean actually in your self-service login. This is absolutely an issue with your Fido account, at any rate, as the only way they could have signed up using your Fido # is by linking it through your Fido account. So whomever signed up for Spotify, did so via your Fido account (either through the self-service login, or by calling Fido? I dunno if that's even something you can do).
Public Mobile
Feb 25, 2015
467 posts
294 upvotes
NB
BTW, Fido has $200 discounts on iPad Air 2 again: 32GB is $439 no term or $18.39/month on contract. 128GB is $569 and $23.71/month.

$140 off iPad 2017 as well
"The things you own end up owning you..." (c)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6676 posts
483 upvotes
Waterloo
carbide wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:31 pm
BTW, Fido has $200 discounts on iPad Air 2 again: 32GB is $439 no term or $18.39/month on contract. 128GB is $569 and $23.71/month.

$140 off iPad 2017 as well
wonder if they honor the 3gb of data than with the tablet purchase?
Jan 12, 2017
271 posts
96 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:43 am
I don't mean on your bill - I mean actually in your self-service login. This is absolutely an issue with your Fido account, at any rate, as the only way they could have signed up using your Fido # is by linking it through your Fido account. So whomever signed up for Spotify, did so via your Fido account (either through the self-service login, or by calling Fido? I dunno if that's even something you can do).
Nope, nothing on the self-service login.

I've changed the password just in case. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.
Jan 12, 2013
277 posts
141 upvotes
Halifax
sassysue wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
wonder if they honor the 3gb of data than with the tablet purchase?
I completed an order this morning for a 2017 iPad 32GB and also got 50% off my 3GB $15/mo data plan for 12 months. It had to be an outright purchase was their only stipulation. They also gave me the option of ordering an ipad mini 4 for $389 for the 32GB version if I wanted as well. I did this through their Facebook chat.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12952 posts
2886 upvotes
Toronto
TBBA29 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:11 pm
I completed an order this morning for a 2017 iPad 32GB and also got 50% off my 3GB $15/mo data plan for 12 months. It had to be an outright purchase was their only stipulation. They also gave me the option of ordering an ipad mini 4 for $389 for the 32GB version if I wanted as well. I did this through their Facebook chat.
@sassysue , no more excuses for sitting on the fence. Time to leave Freedom Mobile.
Jun 23, 2003
202 posts
49 upvotes
TBBA29 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:11 pm
Existing Fido customer I assume? I'd do the LTE Mini for that price, and pay 15$ for 3gb without question. I haven't been a Fido customer for 15 years or more though.