• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 11:39 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12320 posts
4322 upvotes
Kitchener

[Fido] [Fido] 3GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

Get 3GB of tablet data for only $15/month!
For a limited time*, get 3GB of data for $15 per month1 when you bring your own tablet or activate a new one.

* Offer ends March 31, 2017; subject to change without notice. A one-time $15 Transaction Fee applies for the processing of your tablet activation. Available to Fido postpaid customers with wireless plan (voice only, data only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible).
1. Additional data: $10/1GB, charged in $10 increments. Standard roaming charges apply. Taxes extra.

Retiring the original epic thread which was mainly about the now expired free LG tablet with 2 years commitment contract.

Mod Reminder: Do not ask for a referral or state that you have one to give. Comments like "PM me for details” or “you’ve got a PM" is also not allowed - you may get an infraction, additionally, sending unsolicited referrals through private message which gets reported will almost certainly earn you an infraction.

F.A.Q (WIP):
Q: What's with the "existing wireless customers" restriction ?
A: As of today, it seems that stores are not enforcing that rule and RFD'ers are already reporting success getting the deal in store without being existing customers. Some reporting they were denied over chat/phone though others were reporting success after multiple attempts, so if you want this deal your best bet is doing it in store and ASAP.

Q: Will this work on a regular smart phone ?
A: Yes, just be aware of the voice/SMS charges (voice: $1 per minute + $0.45 LD, SMS: $0.25 each in Canada, $0.45 each elsewhere).

Q: How are people making best use of this data-only plan ?
A: by either using it for data in a dual SIM phone, or using it as a primary sim coupled with VoIP service (fongo/voip.ms) once they port their main number over to the VoIP provider.

Q: Why isn't my LTE device connecting to LTE network despite being in coverage ?
A: Check your APN settings: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/con ... vice-guide

Q: What about roaming outside Canada ?
A: International/US roaming is not free, make sure you disable it on your phone or call Fido and get them to disable it for you.

Q: Can I block voice/SMS to avoid accidental charges ?
A: Yes, you can block either incoming (SMS AND voice) or outgoing (SMS AND voice) or block both, call support and just ask.

Q: Is receiving SMS free ?
A: yup.

Q: If I am not going to use the number for SMS/voice does it really matter which phone number I get ?
A: yes, you will get charged taxes on your bill based on your number.

Q: Can existing customers get multiple line discount when jumping on this ?
A: nope, data-only plans are not eligible.

Q: Any saving opportunities ?
A: yup you can get $25 referral credit after keeping the line for 90 days (please remember the mod reminder above).

Q: I am an existing customer, can I refer myself ?
A: technically yes, you can get $50 for referring yourself, go to your account and create a referral code, just remember to activate the new line for a "new user" (under your same account) else the referral wont go through because you are not allowed to refer yourself.

Q: I am an existing customer, already created the referral code, line got activated under my name so was not able to add the referral code, any way around it ?
A: yes, call Fido, get them first to add a new user to your account, assign him/her the line you just activated, then ask them to add the code manually to your account.

Q: was signing up at retailer and they couldn't get the referral in, can I add it post activation ?
A: yes, as long as the referral code was created "before" the actual activation (they will double check) and you call support shortly enough, they should be able to add the referral manually to your account (but chances are now you will need to follow up after 90 days as the credit wont get applied automatically), remember to get the interaction id once the rep confirms referral code was added to your account.
Images
Thread Summary
----------
For the archeologists in the crowd, here are previous threads on earlier Fido data promos. There's lots of info in there on a variety of related topics, from choosing/configuring VoIP options, troubleshooting, dealing with Fido over billing errors, getting referral bonuses (but read above about posting referral requests), etc.

If you have the time and inclination, it's worth spending some time in these (or use Search if you have a specific topic in mind.) There's lots of gold buried in these hills...bylo
[Fido] 3GB LTE Data Plan $15/mo IS BACK. Flaming HOT (extended till March 31)
[Fido] Fido Mobile Internet Flex data Plan 15$/ Month upto 3GB Data only plan
----------
790 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12320 posts
4322 upvotes
Kitchener
VoIP options:
Mickey21444 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 12:10 am
Ya, for those that care -

US/Canada calling without credits and free with ads - textnow (lots of ads - $40/year to remove), and talkatone ($13.99 to remove ads lifetime)

Canada wide calling - Fongo (ads removed for 6.99 - lifetime), listen (no ads)

Canada/US calling with no ads (outgoing only) - hangouts

US, Canada, Australia, NZ, UK, France, Germany calling for free, free international text, end to end encryption, no ads - Sudo

Hope this helps anyone looking around
Mickey21444 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 2:57 pm
I guess I should have also listed these two as well:

Line: messenger app that gives free calls for 5 minutes to US and 3 minutes to canada for each call, then disconnects

Voico - free unlimited HD calls to Mexico/Canada/US with voico Out, but SMS is 1cent. It can display your current phone number or you can buy a phone number (pretty pricey to buy number)

To my surprise, Voico is the best quality calling by a large margin in my experience (iPhone). So this may come in handy for people who use another service like pinger or textnow for free text and incoming calls and then can use Voico for high quality outgoing calls (again, it will display the number you put in, so people will know it's you).

If I missed any good services, feel free to add. I just figure this will save people some time who were in the same boat as me looking for a good call and text app. So far there is no perfect app (free call, SMS/MMS, callkit, siri integration, voicemail, call waiting etc.) but the good thing is most of these apps update frequently with new features...so keeping my fingers crossed that one of them steps up.

Hope this helps
Available addons:
StickySituation wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:44 pm
I just confirmed that you can have the following add-ons for this plan

Texting:
- $5/200 texts
- $10/unlimited texting

Call forwarding:
- All calls (incoming/outgoing/forwarded) are charged airtime at a base rate of $1/min
- pay-per-use call forwarding is an additional $0.20/min (I confirmed that caller ID will be passed onto the forwarded number)
- forwarding to a non-local number is an additional $0.55/min
- or get $3/2500 minutes of call forwarding to a local number

Call Display: $7/month
Name Display: $8/month

Value pack add-on
- http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/add-ons/value-packs
- unlimited texting, 2500 call forwarding minutes, Name display, voicemail-to-text, and other things
- costs $5/month
- requires call display (additional $7/month) so total cost is $12/month
Sep 18, 2004
464 posts
57 upvotes
Question about porting phone numbers. If I cancel my current mobile plan now before signing up for this 3gb plan, how much time do I have to port over my number to something like Fongo?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12320 posts
4322 upvotes
Kitchener
Airbum88 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:36 am
Question about porting phone numbers. If I cancel my current mobile plan now before signing up for this 3gb plan, how much time do I have to port over my number to something like Fongo?
If you cancel your current mobile plan you lose your number, you need to port out "before" cancelling (actually porting out will automatically cancel whatever plan associated to the number).
Sep 18, 2004
464 posts
57 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:38 am
If you cancel your current mobile plan you lose your number, you need to port out "before" cancelling (actually porting out will automatically cancel whatever plan associated to the number).
Thanks. And, can we still get the Best Buy $50 GC?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12320 posts
4322 upvotes
Kitchener
Airbum88 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:40 am
Thanks. And, can we still get the Best Buy $50 GC?
Nope, that was one of the reasons to retire the original thread, so much confusion with the expired promos.
No gift card, no free tablet, no 2 year contract.
Jan 26, 2017
21 posts
Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
Apr 5, 2016
925 posts
410 upvotes
I heard from a rep that the $25 referral credit actually don't get applied on tablet plans? Anyone can confirm?
Jul 16, 2013
90 posts
16 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 2:38 am
I heard from a rep that the $25 referral credit actually don't get applied on tablet plans? Anyone can confirm?
It does. She is lying
Nov 25, 2003
862 posts
338 upvotes
Vancouver
Youcanbyteme wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:50 am
Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
FONGO = Bad on Android. Period.
FONGO = Bad anywhere except, perhaps, some Eastern parts of the country [close to their servrs.
FONGO = Bad, notoriously, on Nexus 4 and 5 in general.
All of these statements are hard facts, topic of many forums, and no need to comment any further.
---
Now, with VOIP.ms it is totally different story. Yes, learning curve is a bit steep at the beginning, but - DON’T LET THAT TURN YOU AWAY - rewards are aplenty. We all went through this.

You will have to follow THIS-Guide.

It will cost you $25US to start - to obtain DID (later you can port your own # ) and pre-pay for future usage.] This money NEVER expires until you use it [no refunds, tho.] EDIT: Sorry, yes, there is a refund option!

On your phone use either ZOPIER or CSipSimple

ZOPIER is simpler for the first time users; later – in a few weeks, when you learn nuff – you will probably jump on CSipSimple due to way more options and granular level of control, not to mention better Codecs that you may [or may not] need…

So, what I’m suggesting is:

Open an account with VOIP.ms;
Buy minimum credits;
Get a temporary DID;
Install softphone app on your phone;
Start learning and using it [follow links I gave you first – everything else will fall in place soon.
Then transfer your own phone number over and Bob is your Brother-in-law..

Side note: their Tech support is top-notch. Reach them over Chat [or email] they are very friendly and fast to answer. Helped me a lot when I started [lol, just this reminded me how ignorant I was when I started!!!] Face With Tears Of Joy

EDIT:

Oh, BTW, I forgot to tell you the most important thing:

You will need just a basic setup of your ZOPIER/VOIP.ms combo, and for incoming calls only.

You should install Hangouts Dialer on your phone and call all of the North America for free. [You verify your own number with Hangouts, than set it as your caller ID when you call out; when people call you back it will be directed to your ZOPIER/CSSimple app by VOIP.ms (once you port your number there) so you will pay less than 1 cent/minute for incoming call. [Hung up and call them back for free! Smiling Face With Open Mouth]

So your $25 will last you better part of the year.

[Note that you can use Hangout for calling right away too, BUT darn FONGO will not let you receive verification code from Hangouts, so you cannot use it as your caller ID number. Your calls will be much better quality then FONGO, however you will be "Unknown number.]]
Last edited by max011 on Feb 3rd, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3244 posts
404 upvotes
I'm using Fongo on a LG G3 (CM14.1), and I have no issues. I can't tell the voice quality between it and a landline. The person on the other side has no issues hearing me either.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1284 posts
282 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 4:27 am
It will cost you $25US to start - to obtain DID (later you can port your own # ) and pre-pay for future usage.] This money NEVER expires until you use it [no refunds, tho.]
There are actually refunds. That's one of the reasons other than excellent support to use voip.ms. From their FAQ:

"You can ask for a refund of the remaining balance at any time should you choose to cancel the account. "

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/FAQ#Can_I_ ... account.3F
Current Favorites: Fido $15/3GB / Tangerine 3.25% / My Mall Box
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2535 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
"Q: If I am not going to use the number for SMS/voice does it really matter which phone number I get ?
A: yes, you will get charged taxes on your bill based on your number."

Is this means that I could reduce my bill if I change to another area code # in a less tax province ? and if yes, which area code has the less tax?

mine is registered to a Toronto # now.
[SALE:] Lego, Kre-O, Hot Wheels, XBOX 360 controllers and games
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/lego-kre ... st18712377
Dec 17, 2009
132 posts
9 upvotes
Anyone using this plan with a redmi note 2 (dual sim phone)?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel