Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Banned
Sep 5, 2016
344 posts
370 upvotes
Ok, in theory wise, there may be dictatorship by a phone provider on top to provide QSS service to specific server for VoLTE so they give that priority to their servers only. But end user/ application can easily control the data priority for them self also.

Meaning like normal priority scale if we assume 1 to 10

1 is top priority & 10 is least. This time provider give 1 priority to there VoLTE server else every thing is may be 5. If enduser on mobile phone side able to change these priority on there side like make all application priority 1 & VOIP.ms server priority 5. So connection between Voip.ms server have more authority which fulfilling VoLTE requirement. So Roger on top level not did anything on lower level user control everything.
Satisfied Customer from these providers :-
Koodo Mobile
Public Mobile
Tangerine Bank
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
82 wrote: but this is regular price at BB.
Enough said :)

Not only you should be able to do better shopping around, but its arguable that people moving around with an 8" tablet already have a phone on them, so they can just save the money and get a wifi-only tablet and use the phone as a hotspot.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Hotspot may be a different price option on some plans. I can just pop my unlimited SIM to the G Pad if I need to do some works, especially when I am travelling. There aren't many WIFI-only tablets with this spec for $240 or less.
aasoror wrote: Enough said :)

Not only you should be able to do better shopping around, but its arguable that people moving around with an 8" tablet already have a phone on them, so they can just save the money and get a wifi-only tablet and use the phone as a hotspot.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
82 wrote: Hotspot may be a different price option on some plans.
Not on this plan any way.
There aren't many WIFI-only tablets with this spec for $240 or less.
Depends on where you look (the NuVision 2GB/1920x1200 IPS/W10/HDMI is $150 everyday).
https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms ... .335497200
That said, if people are hung on the G pad, its averaging $140 on Kijiji.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aasoror wrote: (the NuVision 2GB/1920x1200 IPS/W10/HDMI is $150 everyday). https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms ... .335497200
A Windows device with an Atom CPU. Thanks, but no thanks.
That said, if people are hung on the G pad, its averaging $140 on Kijiji.
Agreed. These are brand new, in-box. Presumably people got these in the Fido promo so there should be a 1-year Canadian warranty. And prices on kijiji are usually "OBO" so if there's a glut in the market and/or you're a good negotiator you should be able to pay even less. And as a bonus, unlike those who got them for "free" you're not tied to any contract.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote: A Windows device with an Atom CPU. Thanks, but no thanks.
I bet the little one wouldn't notice the difference (which is what many are using their g pads for), again I was not offering an alternative to purchase (I bet anyone actually looking into it can come up with much more meaningful alternative), but simply telling the guy who asked that $240 is more like the over inflated carrier MSRP now, its against RFD rules to even think about paying MSRP. People were getting these for $0 few weeks ago ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
I have the NuVision. Trust me, you will notice the difference. A lot of customizations are needed to make Win10 acceptable in Tablet mode. You can get it with EDU price at $135. Compared to the LG, the built quality is inferior. LG ha better screen too. I use the LG G Pad III everyday but the NuVision only maybe once per week to keep it charged lol.
aasoror wrote: I bet the little one wouldn't notice the difference (which is what many are using their g pads for), again I was not offering an alternative to purchase (I bet anyone actually looking into it can come up with much more meaningful alternative), but simply telling the guy who asked that $240 is more like the over inflated carrier MSRP now, its against RFD rules to even think about paying MSRP. People were getting these for $0 few weeks ago ;)
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Banned
Apr 11, 2012
870 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah the tablet wasn't any use to me but there is a big difference in quality between the lg android tab and windows tabs

You'll actually want to use the lg for starters. It also has a ir port that is great for the tv room.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
netusername wrote: Yeah the tablet wasn't any use to me but there is a big difference in quality between the lg android tab and windows tabs

You'll actually want to use the lg for starters. It also has a ir port that is great for the tv room.
82 wrote: I have the NuVision. Trust me, you will notice the difference. A lot of customizations are needed to make Win10 acceptable in Tablet mode. You can get it with EDU price at $135. Compared to the LG, the built quality is inferior. LG ha better screen too. I use the LG G Pad III everyday but the NuVision only maybe once per week to keep it charged lol.
You are missing my point, I wasn't originally suggesting alternatives for the tablet (thats something for those looking to get one to check), I was just saying now that I have owned it for $0, I wouldn't pay $240 for it :) and I doubt any who actually got it for free would shell that much money for it now that its devalued with so many offerings online its down to almost half that value.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
If that is not a good deal, what do you suggest for a 8 inch Android 6.0 or 7.0 tablet with similar spec from a well known brand or even second tier brand?
aasoror wrote: You are missing my point, I wasn't originally suggesting alternatives for the tablet (thats something for those looking to get one to check), I was just saying now that I have owned it for $0, I wouldn't pay $240 for it :) and I doubt any who actually got it for free would shell that much money for it now that its devalued with so many offerings online its down to almost half that value.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
82 wrote: If that is not a good deal, what do you suggest for a 8 inch Android 6.0 or 7.0 tablet with similar spec from a well known brand or even second tier brand?
I think you may still be missing his point. He's saying that that the LG G Pad isn't worth $240 under current market conditions. That's not because of any deficiency of the product. It's because you can buy it on kijiji for about half that price.

Let me turn the question around: If the LG G Pad meets all of your needs, why would you buy it for $240+HST at Best Buy when you can buy it for half price on kijiji?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
warranty, receipt for business claim, not comfortable with Kijiji, not live in Ontario...
bylo wrote: I think you may still be missing his point. He's saying that that the LG G Pad isn't worth $240 under current market conditions. That's not because of any deficiency of the product. It's because you can buy it on kijiji for about half that price.

Let me turn the question around: If the LG G Pad meets all of your needs, why would you buy it for $240+HST at Best Buy when you can buy it for half price on kijiji?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
82 wrote: warranty, receipt for business claim, not comfortable with Kijiji, not live in Ontario...
Fair enough. But you didn't indicate any of those constraints before, asking only if it's a "good deal."

As for warranty, I'd insist that the seller give you a copy of their receipt showing serial number or IMEI. That should prove it's Canadian for warranty purposes. It should also suffice for business claims (e.g. business tax write-off, employer expense claim, etc.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 7, 2011
52 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I got my sim card today but have a question.

I'm planning to port my number to fongo. If I do that will I be able to use WhatsApp with my current number? I think WhatsApp is tied to the sim number.

Is there a work around? Thanks in advanced.
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
derekc85 wrote: I got my sim card today but have a question.

I'm planning to port my number to fongo. If I do that will I be able to use WhatsApp with my current number? I think WhatsApp is tied to the sim number.

Yup, after porting whatsapp worked just the same and didn't ask for any other verification (on iOS)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2001
1080 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
derekc85 wrote: I got my sim card today but have a question.

With a new installation, Whatsapp only needs the ability for the SMS verification to go through... so as long as Fongo can receive SMS messages you are good to go. As previous poster mentioned an existing Whatsapp install won't be affected in any way
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
bobaroo wrote: With a new installation, Whatsapp only needs the ability for the SMS verification to go through... so as long as Fongo can receive SMS messages you are good to go. As previous poster mentioned an existing Whatsapp install won't be affected in any way
Well new users should keep in mind that Fongo can't receive verification SMS from whatsapp. The work around for this is to use your Fido number, which gets unlimited free incoming text.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2924 posts
1908 upvotes
Moon
mkl38s wrote: If I get a dual SIM phone (Samsung s7 edge) with telus and have voice only plan there, can I add Fido SIM on the 2nd SIM slot and use data from Fido? Do I need to unlock the phone?
only overseas models will have dual LTE slots. you can however put your data sim on the LTE slot and voice sim on the other and it should be fine.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote: Let me turn the question around: If the LG G Pad meets all of your needs, why would you buy it for $240+HST at Best Buy when you can buy it for half price on kijiji?
I think buying retail is no longer an option.
G pad was taken down from Rogers website, you can't purchase on Fido's, and its OOS with no backorder or in-store pickup option at BB.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
I was merely saying $240 is a good price for this LG G Pad III because I am not aware of a better deal from an authorized dealer. If you start to count Kijiji, then what about ebay?

PS: thank aasoror again for the hot deal.
bylo wrote: Fair enough. But you didn't indicate any of those constraints before, asking only if it's a "good deal."

As for warranty, I'd insist that the seller give you a copy of their receipt showing serial number or IMEI. That should prove it's Canadian for warranty purposes. It should also suffice for business claims (e.g. business tax write-off, employer expense claim, etc.)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)