Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
JoDragon wrote: Sorry for the dumb question but what is GV?

Can't find it in the thread.

Thanks.
Google Voice I believe.

For dual sim phones Chinese phones would give you the biggest selection at decent price points. I am using Huawei, software switching between the two sim slots, and both slots offer 4G.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Mar 7, 2011
105 posts
175 upvotes
hkee wrote: I am currently on a 2 year contract on this data only plan (signed up Nov/Dec 2016 and got a free tablet). I went on live chat today and asked about the 50% off loyalty promotion. The sales rep said he applied for it and I should see the changes on the next billing cycle. I'm pretty skeptical that I will actually receive this rebate, but we'll see!
Well, Fido called me back and said because I'm on a 2 year contract, they can't offer the rebate. So no luck.
Aug 16, 2008
627 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
bryceton wrote: I'll jump in on this one.
Problem with Blu is the quality control, and they use cheap parts on all there phones. They are just rebranded older no-name Chinese phones in most cases.
I had two Blu phones both broke in less than a year.
Volume button fell off on one of them, and the actual phone case itself broke on the other despite never dropping it.
The Other issue with Blu is lack of firmware updates (Both Offical and custom)

They work good for an older person, who is just lookig for basic functions and takes care of there phone well.
That's me! Good point there.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes My favourite is the HTC One. Built like a tank. The Blu phone is nowhere near the build quality of an HTC. We can argue about which phone is better all day and all night, but to stay on topic, this thread is about the $15/3gb data plan. The people dropping in here are looking to cut their cell phone bill. LIke leolo, I came on here to figure out the cheapest solution. Like...Fido $15 data plan and a sub $250 unlocked phone. I don't live on my cell phone so I decided to experiment. It works fine. All Hail RFD.
Fido $5/4gb + CPO tablet X1
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
isgaard wrote: Shady 3rd party dealers charging $10 for SIM cards as extra profit, SIM cards are free from corporate stores. The dealer cost is $2, eat the cost. Y'all can get someone at bestbuy or wireless wave who knows their stuff with Fido's activation system without calling in, free SIM right there.

I did mine earlier this year at Wireless Wave via Costco, no SIM card fee, no activation fee, and free $100 Costco cash card (I had to pay $50 for the LG Gpad 3, which I used the $100 cash card to do, net $50!). Wait for it.

FYI, 3rd party "Fido exclusive dealer" aren't Fido and the employees working for them aren't Fido employees.
And your point is ?! They are giving $50 bill credit, that wouldn't only offset the $10 SIM (which the guy was pretty forward about it) but would also offset $25 activation and even net you $15 on top of that .

And if you would rather miss the $50 credit for a $10 SIM fee then by all means go ahead (once you find someone who knows how to do it and not getting turned down like many already reported were turned down at Costco and BB). The guy has been informative and helpful so far, no need to rough him up.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1314 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
proplayer44 wrote: You need to own an American cell # for two minutes to get a GV. That's the hard part.

But there are inexpensive ways to get one temporary with a prepaid service.

You need to create a new Gmail email address either from the US or using A VPN ansld during the email creation process it asks which country. You choose US.

Then just Google setup a GV and the Google site will first ask you to login. Use the new email. It will ask you location and area code questions and provide phone numbers to choose and finally it will ask you to verify you have a US number. You can confirm via text or automated phone call to a US cell or landline.

Then in VoIP.ms you forward all calls to your new DiD to your new GV number.

Login to Hangouts with your new email and you are done.

( You must log into your Gmail account from a PC and toggle off the settings to forward all calls from GV to your US number. That is set by default. )
Thx for the information.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1858 posts
1188 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
Bit the bullet just now on LiveChat and go the tablet plan. Didn't take the 2year term with the free ZTE tablet... I looked up the specs of the tablet and just went "what????" at the processor and screen quality lol
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
diav wrote: Bit the bullet just now on LiveChat and go the tablet plan.
Without an existing post paid wireless plan ?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1858 posts
1188 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
aasoror wrote: Without an existing post paid wireless plan ?
Oh, should've clarified. I am a postpaid customer (last year's Boxing Day deal of $60 for 6GB with 1000mins of LD).
Aug 29, 2011
187 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Got this plan from Guelph Costco wireless.

Give Chloe a call 519 780 1810

in and out in 15-20 minutes, straightforward, no hassles, $25 activation fee.
free sim card

bring
1. driver's license.
2. credit card.
3. Costco membership card.

Last but not least, Thanks OP and everyone else contributed in this thread
Oct 7, 2017
4 posts
jumpingThrill wrote: Got this plan from Guelph Costco wireless.

Give Chloe a call 519 780 1810

in and out in 15-20 minutes, straightforward, no hassles, $25 activation fee.
free sim card

bring
1. driver's license.
2. credit card.
3. Costco membership card.

Last but not least, Thanks OP and everyone else contributed in this thread
Just to make sure. You are not a fido postpaid customer?
Jul 15, 2003
931 posts
411 upvotes
hkee wrote: Well, Fido called me back and said because I'm on a 2 year contract, they can't offer the rebate. So no luck.
Darn, well thanks for trying!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
leolo wrote: for those of you using this data plan in a dual sim phone, what phone are you using? Not a lot of dual sim card unlocked phones to choose from in the $250 range.
Asus Zenfone.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
isgaard wrote: The other end of the spectrum for dual SIM is Huawei Mate 9 or 10.
Or OnePlus 5 and as of next week, 5T. Flagship phones at mid-range prices.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
Works great with my LG G6 thanks op. I set mine at north york centre fido store.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
9450 posts
11816 upvotes
Calgary
I’m at a Fido store, they are waiving the requirement for a current plan. They are also offering a free g pad3. It is a 2 year plan but your buyout if you cancel drops each month.
Last edited by SammyDavis on Nov 11th, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 28, 2004
656 posts
156 upvotes
Steven at BB Yonge/Eglinton is saying you have to buy tablet on 2 yr plan if your don't have an existing Fido voice plan. Anyone else able to get this without locking into 2yr plan? Which location in GTA?

Edit: couldn't sign up - they ran out of lg gpad iii tablets. Don't recommend Yonge/Eglinton
Last edited by ryehigh17 on Nov 11th, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1858 posts
1188 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
For those who got the plan over live chat, how long did you have to wait for an email about the line being added to your account? Hasn't been 24 hours yet but I'm thinking it'll take longer since it's the weekend...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)