Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
on a non-rooted Android phone, what's the closest you can do to make Fongo as the default SMS and dialer? I also have problem receiving SMS notification with Fongo, any trick to make it work properly? thanks
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
story wrote: Wrong. Don't be cheap and get Texting Plan and you can get the SMS
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ifications
Maybe read the link YOU posted before trumping me with "wrong"

"Fongo allows free incoming SMS but we do not allow SMS or phone verification for services such as WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, LINE, WeChat, Craigslist, eBay, imo, etc. "
Last edited by Mickey21444 on Feb 8th, 2017 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Banned
Sep 5, 2016
344 posts
370 upvotes
for Marshmallow dozing problem :

I downloaded disable doze app, which restrict marshmallow android to go for doze:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... doze&hl=en

my settings are
using TCP protocol, registration time out 3600, KA=1800
system working flawless
Satisfied Customer from these providers :-
Koodo Mobile
Public Mobile
Tangerine Bank
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Mickey21444 wrote: Maybe read the link YOU posted before trumping me with "wrong"

"Fongo allows free incoming SMS but we do not allow SMS or phone verification for services such as WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, LINE, WeChat, Craigslist, eBay, imo, etc. "
Actually some SMS verification does work. Can't remember which I used for for sure I used the number to verify. Other apps/websites won't work, but some do. I first try fongo, if it doesn't work, I use another number
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Any way to get rid of the ads on TextNow for free? adaway doesn't seem to work and I'm not techie.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
Mickey21444 wrote: Maybe read the link YOU posted before trumping me with "wrong"

Actually @story isn't completely wrong. I believe this is what he was talking about, directly below the line you posted:
Users who have an active paid texting subscription are not blocked from receiving these activation codes via SMS, as long as they are not sent as short codes
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
dealseeker wrote: Actually @story isn't completely wrong. I believe this is what he was talking about, directly below the line you posted:
I know, but that's the whole point...whatsapp and the other listed services I quoted use short codes. And I believe the user was asking about whatsapp specifically in the original question.

Regardless, they have a phoning option now.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
Mickey21444 wrote: I know, but that's the whole point...they are short codes.

Yup, I was able to activate the Fongo number without a problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON

I have tried it for Whatsapp and Ebay and it's worked without issues on several occasions.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mickey21444 wrote: I know, but that's the whole point...whatsapp and the other listed services I quoted use short codes. And I believe the user was asking about whatsapp specifically in the original question.

whatsapp and many many services no longer use shortcodes.
They use systems like twilio that use the full 10 digit number to send out SMS, hence why SMS verification work.
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
mobifree wrote: whatsapp and many many services no longer use shortcodes.
They use systems like twilio that use the full 10 digit number to send out SMS, hence why SMS verification work.
If that's now the case, then I stand corrected. I activated at a time when this wasn't possible and based on Fongo's website, I didn't want someone to pay for a texting package and be disappointed/angry at the RFDer in this thread. Fongo should update their info then :)
Nov 26, 2003
561 posts
168 upvotes
Is it still possible to get just the data plan in store? Or are they now just doing it if you already have an account with them.
My new phone just arrived.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
argos996 wrote: Is it still possible to get just the data plan in store? Or are they now just doing it if you already have an account with them.
My new phone just arrived.
It's YMMV but many stores aren't enforcing it yet so give it a shot.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2335 posts
574 upvotes
I was able to get on this Fido 3 GB data deal at a local The Mobile Store even though I'm not an existing Fido customer, but I had to pay $10.50 for the sim card. I asked if the guy could disable calls and SMS to avoid extra charges, but he didn't seem to think it could be done. Maybe I'll try calling Fido support instead to do that. I have it running on an iPhone 6, but I was wondering with iMessage when sending texts, there wouldn't be a charge to send messages and photos to another iPhone while using cell data, would there? I've set the "send as SMS when iMessage is not available" disabled. My understanding of this Fido plan is that incoming SMS messages to your Fido phone number are free, but sending them incurs a charge?

I've got Fongo installed and running with a different phone number. I'm thinking about maybe signing up with Fongo to do SMS through that app instead. Is that what most people are doing?
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: I was able to get on this Fido 3 GB data deal at a local The Mobile Store even though I'm not an existing Fido customer, but I had to pay $10.50 for the sim card. I asked if the guy could disable calls and SMS to avoid extra charges, but he didn't seem to think it could be done. Maybe I'll try calling Fido support instead to do that. I have it running on an iPhone 6, but I was wondering with iMessage when sending texts, there wouldn't be a charge to send messages and photos to another iPhone while using cell data, would there? I've set the "send as SMS when iMessage is not available" disabled. My understanding of this Fido plan is that incoming SMS messages to your Fido phone number are free, but sending them incurs a charge?

I've got Fongo installed and running with a different phone number. I'm thinking about maybe signing up with Fongo to do SMS through that app instead. Is that what most people are doing?
Fido can block calls and texts for you. Being on Android, I don't know much about iMessage but yes incoming texts on the FIdo number are free and outgoing gets charged.

A lot of people are using the Fongo app and it seems to work well. I just use the incoming part of it and it's almost instant.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2335 posts
574 upvotes
Doing a little Googling, it looks like iMessage texts are free between Apple users to send and receive and doesn't count against your SMS charges. I have a Telus plan with unlimited SMS so I didn't really look into what iMessage does. Apparently though it cannot send free texts to non-Apple users like Android and Blackberry or receive them for free. It detects the other number and if it isn't an Apple iOS device it sends/delivers messages through SMS or MMS.

https://9to5mac.com/2011/06/08/imessage ... d-to-know/

Huh, I learn something new every day. Luckily in my little circle we all use iOS devices so I'm good. I do have an Android phone (LG G3) that I play around with a bit, but it's more just for WiFi usage so it doesn't have a SIM card. I guess I just have to be careful if texting or receiving texts from non-Apple users, but I think they appear as a green text window and a green send button to help distinguish them. I'm no phone expert so I still have a bunch to learn! ;-)
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
I am testing Fongo SMS but the notification doesn't work. Is there a setting somewhere to make it ring/vibrate and display notification like normal SMS?

iMessage is free if you have data, and it rides on your main phone#.
dealseeker wrote: Fido can block calls and texts for you. Being on Android, I don't know much about iMessage but yes incoming texts on the FIdo number are free and outgoing gets charged.

A lot of people are using the Fongo app and it seems to work well. I just use the incoming part of it and it's almost instant.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
Make sure you disable "Send as SMS" under setting. If Apple iMessage server goes down, by default it falls back to standard SMS.
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: Doing a little Googling, it looks like iMessage texts are free between Apple users to send and receive and doesn't count against your SMS charges. I have a Telus plan with unlimited SMS so I didn't really look into what iMessage does. Apparently though it cannot send free texts to non-Apple users like Android and Blackberry or receive them for free. It detects the other number and if it isn't an Apple iOS device it sends/delivers messages through SMS or MMS.

https://9to5mac.com/2011/06/08/imessage ... d-to-know/

Huh, I learn something new every day. Luckily in my little circle we all use iOS devices so I'm good. I do have an Android phone (LG G3) that I play around with a bit, but it's more just for WiFi usage so it doesn't have a SIM card. I guess I just have to be careful if texting or receiving texts from non-Apple users, but I think they appear as a green text window and a green send button to help distinguish them. I'm no phone expert so I still have a bunch to learn! ;-)
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2448 posts
1280 upvotes

Just one more sentences below your quote.
Try just a bit hard in life, that extra miles get your somewhere.

"Users who have an active paid texting subscription are not blocked from receiving these activation codes via SMS, as long as they are not sent as short codes. We do not make any guarantee that you will receive activation codes if you have subscribed to a texting package."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)