Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
allforone wrote: Just let you know I activated the tablet plan with 2-year contract as a new customer in Markham Markville Mall on Jan 7th. You may want to try the luck there.
Why did you have to go on a two year contract? Did you get a tablet?

Tbooth in Richmond hill, hill crest mall does it too
BYOD no contract
Nov 19, 2017
511 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
honggil wrote: Hi guys, I currently have this 3GB $15 promo with the GPad from a year ago - So far, it's been great!

Looking to get a phone for my son and I'm thinking that this would also suit our and his needs of mainly being able to communicate with him (since he finishes school at 3:30pm and we get home from work by 5pm) or if he's out on the weekend with friends.

If we get this plan with the BYOD route, and get him a basic phone like iPhone 5/5c off BST or Kijiji, that should be a good solution if we can Whatsapp text/voice or FaceTime with him, right?
A few questions if anyone can answer:
- Since I am already an existing Fido customer with the same plan, would it be beneficial in anyway to add a second line to the same account?
- Is it easy or a pain to get the 50% off the BYOD plan? If I can pay $7.50 for 12 months that would be amazing I think
- Better not to sign up with the Tablet plan right? I mean what teenager would want to lug around a tablet as a phone lol. Also, we lose out on FaceTime and both my wife and I have iPhones.
- Any other options for my situation that I haven't thought of?

Sorry for the long post but any input is appreciated!
Thanks!

Edit: Did anyone see the $299 iPad LTE 32GB with the 3GB/$15 plan??? Seems like a pretty good deal!! It's not just the WiFi model, but the LTE model it seems. I think Walmart had the iPad 32GB on sale for $3XX but it was only WiFi model. If someone is looking to get the 3GB/$15 anyways and wants an iPad.. seems good!
Details here:
https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/dev ... s-12211732
HOT IPAD. COOL GIFTS
Eligible Fido customers can now get an iPad 32 GB for only $299 with a 2-year data plan (no-term $619) that offers 3 GB at $15/month.1 Get an iPad at a special holiday price.
If your family is in Apple world, iPad 32 GB is the way to go. It's a good deal. I placed an order through web chat. On their web site, today, January 8, is the final day for $15 / 3 gb plan promotion.

1. In most cases, $15 / 3gb plan can only be opened with existing customers with post-paid voice/data plan. If you do, you're good to go. But, no other benefits like second line discount, etc.
2. I think it's highly likely you can get 50% discount after 6 months with BYOD $15 / 3 gb plan.
3. It seems free LG G Pad IV with 2 year contract is not a good option for you.
4. It's your choice, either no contract or 24 month with iPad. If it's likely to cancel early within 24 months, never go with contract. The penalty will be severe.

Side note: If your kid is going to use this plan with a cell phone, make sure all calls/texts disabled by calling Fido.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
slpless wrote: If your family is in Apple world, iPad 32 GB is the way to go. It's a good deal. I placed an order through web chat. On their web site, today, January 8, is the final day for $15 / 3 gb plan promotion.

1. In most cases, $15 / 3gb plan can only be opened with existing customers with post-paid voice/data plan. If you do, you're good to go. But, no other benefits like second line discount, etc.
2. I think it's highly likely you can get 50% discount after 6 months with BYOD $15 / 3 gb plan.
3. It seems free LG G Pad IV with 2 year contract is not a good option for you.
4. It's your choice, either no contract or 24 month with iPad. If it's likely to cancel early within 24 months, never go with contract. The penalty will be severe.

Side note: If your kid is going to use this plan with a cell phone, make sure you all calls/texts disabled by calling Fido.
Thanks for the thorough response!

Is there a way to disable apps that consume large amounts of data e.g. YouTube?

I too, think the iPad route is a good deal. As you mentioned, it ends today (only a 1 day deal!). I'm surprised that it has not been mentioned on RFD yet, and I think it definitely deserves it's own separate thread to let people take notice/advantage of it. The 128GB for $429 is not bad either - an extra $130 dollars for x4 the storage of the 32GB.

Only thing stopping me from getting the iPad is whether my son would mind having an iPad because of its size and mobility. Got to decide quickly if I want to get the iPad as the deal ends today
Jul 18, 2011
84 posts
14 upvotes
monty555 wrote: For those in the Montreal area, try the Wireless Wave Kiosk at the Eaton Centre. I was told by my friend that you could get one there as a new Fido customer.
Thanks - after getting shutdown at Best Buy, got it here.
I appreciate your post.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How do you get the 50% off the BYOB plan? Is it better to walk in store or via chat?
Mar 7, 2009
659 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
honggil wrote: How do you get the 50% off the BYOB plan? Is it better to walk in store or via chat?
I don't think you can get 50% discount in store.
you need to contact customer service (online chat or call)
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smartiesummer wrote: I don't think you can get 50% discount in store.
you need to contact customer service (online chat or call)
Thank you.. do you negotiate it before or after you get the plan? I'll give it a shot!
Nov 19, 2017
511 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
honggil wrote: Thank you.. do you negotiate it before or after you get the plan? I'll give it a shot!
Best to try after 6 months. And, high success rate with retention department.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
slpless wrote: Best to try after 6 months. And, high success rate with retention department.
I'm on Live Chat right now, gonna see if it works right from the start of opening a new line. lol

Slpless, did you go with the 32gb or 128gb?
Last edited by honggil on Jan 8th, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2009
659 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
honggil wrote: Thank you.. do you negotiate it before or after you get the plan? I'll give it a shot!
I believe you need to have the BYOD plan for 3 months (used to be 3 months, not sure if they've changed it to 6 months), then call fido to negotiate...
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smartiesummer wrote: I believe you need to have the BYOD plan for 3 months (used to be 3 months, not sure if they've changed it to 6 months), then call fido to negotiate...
I see, that makes sense. Guess it won't work then... will report back lol
Jan 6, 2018
259 posts
111 upvotes
Hi,

Got the plan!!!! I went directly to T-booth* and them did it!!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Just 2 questions:

1) When the Fido's is monthly cycle starting? With Virgin is the 16th of each month, but with Fido, I can't find a definitive answer.
2) Is possible to move the activation date to an end of the month? (so I can cancel Virgin without pay also for Fido)

Thank you.

(*T-booth located at Lime Ridge Mall, Hamilton)
Last edited by Rebelyouth on Jan 8th, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is today the last day of this promo? Can anyone confirm?
Jun 9, 2007
27 posts
Markham
sks8100 wrote: Why did you have to go on a two year contract? Did you get a tablet?

Tbooth in Richmond hill, hill crest mall does it too
BYOD no contract
yes, to get the table free I need to go with 2-year contract.
Feb 13, 2009
74 posts
3 upvotes
how often does this promo happen? with tablet or not
Dec 23, 2007
577 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
I got charged on the texting and I have called in to have the texting blocked. After the block, I can still use the iMessage to send/receive text. Does it mean that the text blocking didn't get implemented properly at the beginning? I called the CSR after I saw the charge, they explained that they can't block the incoming texting due to the need for notification from Fido. Is that BS? I think I got charged on outgoing texts.
Last edited by rayq on Jan 8th, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 8, 2007
459 posts
723 upvotes
BC
I thought incoming texts with Fido are typically free.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Prestox wrote: I thought incoming texts with Fido are typically free.
They are. Nevertheless some people want them blocked to stop getting spammed.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
avec wrote: how often does this promo happen? with tablet or not
When I spoke to the guy at wireless wave he said there was no end date in the system for the code....but they advertise it as expiring today. I’m sure it will get extended

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)