[Fido] [Fido] 3GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 1:39 am
Oct 29, 2016
145 posts
49 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:16 pm
You don't want to use your actual data Sim Fido # for caller ID. Then they will attempt to call you/ text you on that #.

The absolute best option is to take a bit extra time and get a Google voice number from the US.

Then port your current cell number to VoIP.ms and in the VoIP.ms settings you forward all calls to your new GV #. Then use Hangouts for all incoming and outgoing.

Zoiper and fongo are ok but not as clear as GV.

It took a bit of time but everyone I call knows my GV number as my number. They know it's me.

A lot of my texting now is in Hangouts too. Since that's the number they know. And it has MMS.
A couple questions about this.. I have a 416-XXX-XXXX and an identical GV # but with a 415 US area code.
If I port to voip.ms, do all my outgoing GV calls show a caller ID with 415?
How much are incoming calls to my 416 if they are forwarded to 415?

This would be a great way to only pay for incoming calls. I could even start having people put both my numbers in their phone so my name shows up on their caller ID.
If there is some way make my outgoing caller ID the 416 number i would do this right away.
Sep 11, 2017
5 posts
ChrisC192488 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:33 pm
If you're in toronto, willing to come to north york centre yes, if not maybe there'll be another place. Wish you the best either way.
Pmed you!
Sep 6, 2011
167 posts
130 upvotes
Shady 3rd party dealers charging $10 for SIM cards as extra profit, SIM cards are free from corporate stores. The dealer cost is $2, eat the cost. Y'all can get someone at bestbuy or wireless wave who knows their stuff with Fido's activation system without calling in, free SIM right there.

I did mine earlier this year at Wireless Wave via Costco, no SIM card fee, no activation fee, and free $100 Costco cash card (I had to pay $50 for the LG Gpad 3, which I used the $100 cash card to do, net $50!). Wait for it.

FYI, 3rd party "Fido exclusive dealer" aren't Fido and the employees working for them aren't Fido employees.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2137 posts
694 upvotes
YUL/YVR
isgaard wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:47 pm
I did mine earlier this year at Wireless Wave via Costco, no SIM card fee, no activation fee, and free $100 Costco cash card (I had to pay $50 for the LG Gpad 3, which I used the $100 cash card to do, net $50!). Wait for it.
Once upon a time, gas was at $0.40/L too.
Nov 28, 2016
58 posts
74 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:47 pm
Shady 3rd party dealers charging $10 for SIM cards as extra profit, SIM cards are free from corporate stores. The dealer cost is $2, eat the cost. Y'all can get someone at bestbuy or wireless wave who knows their stuff with Fido's activation system without calling in, free SIM right there.

FYI, 3rd party "Fido exclusive dealer" aren't Fido and the employees working for them aren't Fido employees.
Sigh-
It is very unwise to say this. It really is.

You're also eating up your own logic as best buy mobile and ww are also dealers.. they make their profits with a different commission sturcture, so that may be why they're so nice about the sim cards :)

The activation fee, you're going to have to double check, because only Fido cs can take care of that.

I know for a fact corporate stores do charge sim card fees, they're just really nice about it a lot of times, which I totally envy.

Fact check: Fido exclusive dealers are part of Fido, and are their employees, we get training directly from Fido as we are employees that are EXCLUSIVE to them. We get more training from our head office for sensitive matters such as fraud and how to approach customers. Yes we may be third party, BUT WE ARE EXCLUSIVE TO FIDO!! Any Fido branded store you go to in toronto excluding the 3 major malls(yorkdale,fairview,and centrepoint) IS US :D

Ps. I'm sorry if I was rude in any way, but reading this hurt my feelings a bit as a dealer T-T
Oct 14, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:20 pm
Send all calls to GV from VoIP.ms #

Then there is no need for Zoiper or fongo and you can use the native Hangouts app for everything.
How do you setup Voipms + GV? How do you forward calls from voip.ms to GV?
Sep 6, 2011
167 posts
130 upvotes
ChrisC192488 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:15 am
You're also eating up your own logic as best buy mobile and ww are also dealers.. they make their profits with a different commission sturcture, so that may be why they're so nice about the sim cards :)
Great! No need to sign up via 3rd party dealers and pay $10 for a SIM card then, do it at best buy mobile and wireless wave instead. Their or your commission structure doesn't concern the customer as the customer saves $10.
ChrisC192488 wrote:
The activation fee, you're going to have to double check, because only Fido cs can take care of that.
I double checked my bill before I said no activation fee, so yes, I was NOT charged any activation upfront or on my bill for this plan.
ChrisC192488 wrote:
I know for a fact corporate stores do charge sim card fees, they're just really nice about it a lot of times, which I totally envy.
SIM cards are very commonly $0 on activations, only slimy 3rd party dealers charge $10 on SIM card and "supposedly can't" waive it unless the plan fee sign up is high enough.
ChrisC192488 wrote:
Fact check: Fido exclusive dealers are part of Fido, and are their employees, we get training directly from Fido as we are employees that are EXCLUSIVE to them. We get more training from our head office for sensitive matters such as fraud and how to approach customers. Yes we may be third party, BUT WE ARE EXCLUSIVE TO FIDO!! Any Fido branded store you go to in toronto excluding the 3 major malls(yorkdale,fairview,and centrepoint) IS US :D
Lies and half truth mr. 3rd party dealer, Fido corporate retail employees get their pay from Rogers directly. You get your pay from your boss's company, who has an agreement to sell Fido products, and probably has a whole bunch of other companies selling different brands as well. So no, you are not a Fido employee, you're just another joe schmoe private company selling their products. Your $50 bill credit is also a 3rd party dealer specific shenanigan, how convenient only your specific location offers it.
Sep 10, 2002
295 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
proplayer44 wrote:
Zoiper and fongo are ok but not as clear as GV.
I think this would all depend on codec and settings (echo cancellation, etc.) as well as whether you're using the voip.ms value or premium route.
Zoiper Beta has been pretty great thus far.
Aug 22, 2001
680 posts
217 upvotes
Vancouver
proplayer44 wrote:
Then use Hangouts for all incoming and outgoing. A lot of my texting now is in Hangouts too. Since that's the number they know. And it has MMS.
With outgoing calls does your number show your GV (US) number or a local Canadian number?
And can your friends text you to a Canadian number or only your GV (US) number?
Oct 7, 2008
246 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone have somewhere in Vancouver they can recommend to get this plan?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2590 posts
687 upvotes
Halifax
AEmgee wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:23 am
With outgoing calls does your number show your GV (US) number or a local Canadian number?
And can your friends text you to a Canadian number or only your GV (US) number?
Only works if you do not have a US GV number.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7520 posts
1300 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:21 am
Great! No need to sign up via 3rd party dealers and pay $10 for a SIM card then, do it at best buy mobile and wireless wave instead. Their or your commission structure doesn't concern the customer as the customer saves $10.

I double checked my bill before I said no activation fee, so yes, I was NOT charged any activation upfront or on my bill for this plan.

SIM cards are very commonly $0 on activations, only slimy 3rd party dealers charge $10 on SIM card and "supposedly can't" waive it unless the plan fee sign up is high enough.

Lies and half truth mr. 3rd party dealer, Fido corporate retail employees get their pay from Rogers directly. You get your pay from your boss's company, who has an agreement to sell Fido products, and probably has a whole bunch of other companies selling different brands as well. So no, you are not a Fido employee, you're just another joe schmoe private company selling their products. Your $50 bill credit is also a 3rd party dealer specific shenanigan, how convenient only your specific location offers it.
Hi @isgaard, what 3rd party shop did you use to get both SIM and activation fee waived? If I can get both of these, I'd jump on a 2nd 3gb plan. Was it a wireless wave shop? best buy?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2607 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
kthxbye wrote:
How do you setup Voipms + GV? How do you forward calls from voip.ms to GV?
Here's how the GV and voip.ms thing works.

Montly Cost
Pay $0.85/month for a canadian number with voip.ms
In your voip.ms setup you forward all calls to your GV number

Incoming Calls
When someone calls your voip.ms number it immediatly rings your GV number. (which is awesome because it rings on all my connected devices and i can choose on which one to answer). You get charged $0.009 /min for the call to voip.ms and $0.01/min for the forwarding to gvoice. so even if you don't answer, you get charged. But they charge in 10 second intervals i think. So, for example, a 19 second incoming call charged me $0.0057. That's half a cent. A 4 second incoming call cost me $0.0019.

When someone calls your GV number it rings exactly the same on all your connected devices. you get charged nothing.

Outgoing Callse
On your phone when you want to phone out you have two choices.
Use the hangouts dialer to call out and get charged nothing. People will see your GV number on their call display. You cannot change this when you have a real GV number. people that don't have GV and use hangouts dialer can go through some sort of authentication process so they can set any number in their call display. You cannot do this with GV. it will always bee your GV number.

Or use some sort of sip app that you've setup with your voip.ms credentials. You will get charged $0.009 per minute and people will see your voip.ms number on their call display. Actually with voip.ms you can make freely make it show any number on call display. But most likely you'll set it up with your voip.ms number.

Texting
You can send/receive texts from/to your GV number using hangouts dialer
You can send/receive texts from/to your voip.ms nubmber using the "voip.ms sms" app. It is pretty good. supports push notifications.
But my personal recommendation is to get all your friends to just use your GV number for texting because the hangouts dialer integrates so nicely.

Comments
Forwarding does not affect call quality/latency/anything. An incoming call to voip.ms forwarded to GV will be exactly the same as an incoming call directly to your GV or to your voip.ms

The reason you don't just use a sip app all the time for both incoming and outgoing calls is because of a common problem of battery drain or staying properly registered to recieve incoming calls.. Some apps may do it better than others (i hear groundwire uses real google integrated push notifications and might therefor not drain battery) but the convenience of having it forward to hangouts dialer for seamless integration with android is very nice. It's perfectly ok to use the sip app for outgoing calls because you can set them up to only connect when you launch it and completely disconnect when you close it.

I am not a heavy cell user so i've just made sure that anyone i care about has both my voip.ms and my GV number in their address book entry for me. And if i'm making a call to someone new i'll use the sip app to make an outgoing call and therefore they'll see my voip.ms number.

Hope this helps.
Aug 1, 2008
824 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Does this plan still allow for tethering?

Wanna get it for my mom but she'll have to carry another phone or tablet with her to tether the connection (iPhones and their lack of dual sims suck D:).
Nov 28, 2016
58 posts
74 upvotes
isgaard wrote:

Okok. We are third party because there's no real category for us. We are EXCLUSIVE dealers. We only work for Fido and Rogers so we are fido and rogers employees. End of story.

It wouldn't be entertaining enough for you if it ended there,
We use
1. The Fido brand as the store name. not wdna..
2. Fido planograms, so all FIDO stores look identical
3. Rogers fasttrack training
4. Fido's given commission structure to us
5. Same service
6. Same opening closing procedures
7. We wear the same uniform

How we're different from corporate:
1. We use the same system, but we each have one different program
2. Different commission structure for those guys, also assigned from Fido
3. We have about 200 more stores than them, although smaller in size.
4. We have ALL Fido corporate promotions plus a bit of salt and pepper from ourselves

How we're different from ww and bb:
1. They are indeed third party non exclusive
2. Goes with num 1, they have a lot of other providers, such as bell telus etc
3. They have a different profit margin structure
4. They have to beat every other exclusive provider locations

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)