Hot Deals

[Fido] [Fido] 3GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 9:30 am
Member
Aug 16, 2008
229 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
isgaard wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:19 pm
Xiaomi, ZTE, Asus, and Huawei are top recommended choice. Stay away from BLU, Leeco is also iffy, but stay away from BLU.
Now you tell me! When should I expect mine to stop working?Disappointed Face
Fido $15/3gb less 50% x 3
Penalty Box
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
2950 posts
186 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:00 pm
The only options are Chinese phones at that price range.
every phone is chines made right? From iphone to crap?
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Jr. Member
Sep 6, 2011
155 posts
102 upvotes
Dukman wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:30 pm
Now you tell me! When should I expect mine to stop working?Disappointed Face
BLU is for old people or non-techie cheap yuppies who only or mostly shop on Amazon, but doesn't know about Chinese online vendors (there are quite a few) and aliexpress.com.
Member
Aug 16, 2008
229 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
isgaard wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:56 pm
BLU is for old people or non-techie cheap yuppies who only or mostly shop on Amazon, but doesn't know about Chinese online vendors (there are quite a few) and aliexpress.com.
I am an old people but not a cheap yuppie! Right beside my BLU phone sits a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro which I love, which didn't come from Amazon...it came from China.
The reason I presented Blu as an option is because it adds Band 17 not found on the Xiaomi (don't know about the others). and Quickcharge 3.0. aaaaand I got it delivered in 2 days. It also comes close to leolo's target price.
One thing I like about the Xiaomi is the ability to lock an app like Zoiper to stay alive permanently. So when using it with voip.ms it keeps the registration 24/7. Since a lot of this thread is about using the data plan with voip I feel it's important to highlight
phones that work well with voip apps.
So far, you haven't explained what's wrong with BLU.
Fido $15/3gb less 50% x 3
Member
Aug 24, 2006
470 posts
107 upvotes
Dukman wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:55 pm
I am an old people but not a cheap yuppie! Right beside my BLU phone sits a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro which I love, which didn't come from Amazon...it came from China.
The reason I presented Blu as an option is because it adds Band 17 not found on the Xiaomi (don't know about the others). and Quickcharge 3.0. aaaaand I got it delivered in 2 days. It also comes close to leolo's target price.
One thing I like about the Xiaomi is the ability to lock an app like Zoiper to stay alive permanently. So when using it with voip.ms it keeps the registration 24/7. Since a lot of this thread is about using the data plan with voip I feel it's important to highlight
phones that work well with voip apps.
So far, you haven't explained what's wrong with BLU.
I'll jump in on this one.
Problem with Blu is the quality control, and they use cheap parts on all there phones. They are just rebranded older no-name Chinese phones in most cases.
I had two Blu phones both broke in less than a year.
Volume button fell off on one of them, and the actual phone case itself broke on the other despite never dropping it.
The Other issue with Blu is lack of firmware updates (Both Offical and custom)

They work good for an older person, who is just lookig for basic functions and takes care of there phone well.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 3, 2003
567 posts
42 upvotes
Richmond Hill
proplayer44 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:38 pm
You need to own an American cell # for two minutes to get a GV. That's the hard part.

But there are inexpensive ways to get one temporary with a prepaid service.

You need to create a new Gmail email address either from the US or using A VPN ansld during the email creation process it asks which country. You choose US.

Then just Google setup a GV and the Google site will first ask you to login. Use the new email. It will ask you location and area code questions and provide phone numbers to choose and finally it will ask you to verify you have a US number. You can confirm via text or automated phone call to a US cell or landline.

Then in VoIP.ms you forward all calls to your new DiD to your new GV number.

Login to Hangouts with your new email and you are done.

( You must log into your Gmail account from a PC and toggle off the settings to forward all calls from GV to your US number. That is set by default. )
I already have GV number, so I am trying to port my number to VOIP.ms. After chatting with them, it seems I am required to pay $8.95 USD for the port and then choose a monthly plan (either a pay-by minute or flat monthly fee) to forward my calls to my US GV number. How is this option better than going with something like fongo who don't charge a monthly fee? Am I missing something?
Sr. Member
Apr 17, 2014
537 posts
154 upvotes
Corunna, ON
You don't have to pay monthly that's just an option. You can pay per minute. That's what I pay.

$1.50 a month for the number and 2 cent a minute calling. But only incoming. My outgoing is free on Hangouts.

I typically get called for like 50 minutes a month. A dollar. So $2.50 US a month.

And Fongo calls aren't necessarily as clear.

But if you are iPhone Fongo might be better because the VoIP.ms text app is crap on iPhone. Unless you just use imessage to text Apple devices and Hangouts for Android.

Check out sandbach.ca for instructions on VoIP.ms
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 25, 2014
131 posts
33 upvotes
Saint-Jerome, QC
Sorry for the dumb question but what is GV?

Can't find it in the thread.

Thanks.
Member
User avatar
Oct 19, 2011
382 posts
89 upvotes
diav wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:29 am
Does this plan still allow for tethering?

Wanna get it for my mom but she'll have to carry another phone or tablet with her to tether the connection (iPhones and their lack of dual sims suck D:).
Yes it supports tethering
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3786 posts
193 upvotes
Calgary
JoDragon wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:37 pm
Sorry for the dumb question but what is GV?

Can't find it in the thread.

Thanks.
Google Voice I believe.

For dual sim phones Chinese phones would give you the biggest selection at decent price points. I am using Huawei, software switching between the two sim slots, and both slots offer 4G.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
39 posts
18 upvotes
hkee wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 7:57 pm
I am currently on a 2 year contract on this data only plan (signed up Nov/Dec 2016 and got a free tablet). I went on live chat today and asked about the 50% off loyalty promotion. The sales rep said he applied for it and I should see the changes on the next billing cycle. I'm pretty skeptical that I will actually receive this rebate, but we'll see!
Well, Fido called me back and said because I'm on a 2 year contract, they can't offer the rebate. So no luck.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 25, 2014
131 posts
33 upvotes
Saint-Jerome, QC
aasoror wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:45 pm
GoogleVoice
Thanks you guys.

Gonna go get this tomorrow.
Member
Aug 16, 2008
229 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
bryceton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:10 pm
I'll jump in on this one.
Problem with Blu is the quality control, and they use cheap parts on all there phones. They are just rebranded older no-name Chinese phones in most cases.
I had two Blu phones both broke in less than a year.
Volume button fell off on one of them, and the actual phone case itself broke on the other despite never dropping it.
The Other issue with Blu is lack of firmware updates (Both Offical and custom)

They work good for an older person, who is just lookig for basic functions and takes care of there phone well.
That's me! Good point there.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes My favourite is the HTC One. Built like a tank. The Blu phone is nowhere near the build quality of an HTC. We can argue about which phone is better all day and all night, but to stay on topic, this thread is about the $15/3gb data plan. The people dropping in here are looking to cut their cell phone bill. LIke leolo, I came on here to figure out the cheapest solution. Like...Fido $15 data plan and a sub $250 unlocked phone. I don't live on my cell phone so I decided to experiment. It works fine. All Hail RFD.
Fido $15/3gb less 50% x 3
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Dec 27, 2007
13443 posts
5185 upvotes
Kitchener
isgaard wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:47 pm
Shady 3rd party dealers charging $10 for SIM cards as extra profit, SIM cards are free from corporate stores. The dealer cost is $2, eat the cost. Y'all can get someone at bestbuy or wireless wave who knows their stuff with Fido's activation system without calling in, free SIM right there.

I did mine earlier this year at Wireless Wave via Costco, no SIM card fee, no activation fee, and free $100 Costco cash card (I had to pay $50 for the LG Gpad 3, which I used the $100 cash card to do, net $50!). Wait for it.

FYI, 3rd party "Fido exclusive dealer" aren't Fido and the employees working for them aren't Fido employees.
And your point is ?! They are giving $50 bill credit, that wouldn't only offset the $10 SIM (which the guy was pretty forward about it) but would also offset $25 activation and even net you $15 on top of that .

And if you would rather miss the $50 credit for a $10 SIM fee then by all means go ahead (once you find someone who knows how to do it and not getting turned down like many already reported were turned down at Costco and BB). The guy has been informative and helpful so far, no need to rough him up.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 21 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 15 guests)

Kyuuan, bridonca, antonk, andrew-4ce, nonstop, burungkakak