Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract, + tablet with 2 yr contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:54 am
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
ok, before calling in for 7.5$ monthly I want to get a AB number so I only pay 5% tax. Should I do it last day of billing cycle (when it shows 0) or first day of the new billing cycle to avoid any headache of getting double billed for 2 lines? And this won't "erase" the 6 month timer when I can be eligible for the 7.5$ monthly correct? That comes out at the beginning of next cycle too.
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
Mickey21444 wrote: None of those updates addressed anything of any significance:

- texts - some still don't come through, system is clunky
So unfortunately this just happened today and it proves the point I was making a few days ago.

I have a separate number for my business because it is more reliable. Somehow though (maybe through a colleague of mine) an important person that I was supposed to meet later today got my Fongo number and started texting that. Apparently he sent me texts to switch the meeting to lunch. I just received an angry "why haven't you responded?" text and I had no idea what he was talking about. I responded back and he said he sent multiple texts to my number about the change in time. I'm absolutely livid right now!

I mean he should've never had that number in the first place, but just shows how reliable it is >:(

Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else!
Last edited by Mickey21444 on May 12th, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Mickey21444 wrote: So unfortunately this just happened today and it proves the point I was making a few days ago.

I have a separate number for my business because it is more reliable. Somehow though (maybe through a colleague of mine) an important person that I was supposed to meet later today got my Fongo number and started texting that. Apparently he sent me texts to switch the meeting to lunch. I just received an angry "why haven't you responded?" text and I had no idea what he was talking about. I responded back and he said he sent multiple texts to my number about the hange in time. I'm absolutely livid right now!

I mean he should've never had that number in the first place, but just shows how reliable it is >:(
I would never rely on stuff like Fongo, VOIP or any sort of data only plan for any sort of important business communication.
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: I would never rely on stuff like Fongo, VOIP or any sort of data only plan for any sort of important business communication.
Which is why I have a separate number for business. Not sure how he got the Fongo one.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Mickey21444 wrote: Which is why I have a separate number for business. Not sure how he got the Fongo one.
On the same digital contact card, not necessarily created by you, shared between 3rd parties. You might want to tell your business associates not to use it, whether they have it or not.
Jan 12, 2017
368 posts
205 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: On the same digital contact card, not necessarily created by you, shared between 3rd parties. You might want to tell your business associates not to use it, whether they have it or not.
Well the associate is also a buddy of mine, so he has both my business and personal numbers. He probably just made a mistake and distributed the wrong number when asked. It's frustrating, but stuff happens. But if I had any doubts about the reliability of Fongo being poor (for texts at least), they have now been confirmed.

I don't really understand what you mean by "on the same digital contact card, not created by me." My business number is another cell number I have with one of the big three telcos.
Banned
Sep 5, 2016
344 posts
370 upvotes
Yes VOIP is not reliable on mobile dialers or APP’s. I think it is not full proof till it combined with cell phones actual dialer or that VOLTE feature directly access by voip DID provider. Till then I am using one number approach with VOIP.MS DID which ringing bell to my csipsimple dialer & landline phone. With failover option forwarding call to another cell phone. It is not full proof solution but give me little redundancy. If one system fail another is present to compensate that failure.
I try to never trust on free DID provider apps (like fongo, text now etc.) because you tied with them. My approach is buy DID from VOIP.MS or any other DID provider & forward that call to fongo number or where ever you want. Too much complicated system but doing just for fun
Last edited by guru2gr8 on May 12th, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satisfied Customer from these providers :-
Koodo Mobile
Public Mobile
Tangerine Bank
Apr 19, 2017
197 posts
72 upvotes
Well fongo always worked great for me and I've used it for about 3 years, maybe 4.

i would never use a voip for business but for personal it works great.

If you have a dual SIM phone (and you should if you use a data only SIM), you can forward all calls from fongo to your second SIM, which can be something like speakout, super cheap, to use to pick up important calls that get forwarded or emergency calls
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
Bestbuy has the Alcatel Pop 7 LTE for $0 with this plan, plus $50 BB gift card.
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
hdub8817 wrote: Bestbuy has the Alcatel Pop 7 LTE for $0 with this plan, plus $50 BB gift card.
Wow. Uses a flip phone chipset. I predict a craptacular experience with this tablet!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Will we be getting 5G eventually? Or is that reserved for Wind/Public Mobile?
Apr 24, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes
I just got this plan a little under a month ago, and live chat has confirmed that tethering is disabled.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
alanbrenton wrote: Will we be getting 5G eventually? Or is that reserved for Wind/Public Mobile?
I think Wind and Public Mobile customers will likely be some of the last ones to get 5G, to be honest. It'll almost certainly be Rogers, Bell and Telus customers that get it first... Then their 2nd tier brands (Fido, Virgin, Koodo)... And then at the very end, the third tier flanker brands. Wind doesn't have the cashflow to be able to invest in a serious 5G rollout before the big guns do - hell, they'll barely be finished rolling out their 4G network (and stabilizing their 3G network) by the time the big 3 start doing their 5G trials.

Realistically though - I barely ever notice any issues with speed on my LTE connection (which, in my area, often doesn't surpass 20Mbps)... I can't imagine having ANY need for 5G. That's not to say that one might not arise, of course... New technology and new applications are always coming.

Interestingly, though - a lot of the 5G network rollout announcements I've seen for US providers haven't been focused on mobile at all... Rather, they've been talking about using 5G to replace aging, slow home and office broadband connections in areas that are limited in speed (like those areas struggling with max 6mbps home connections on tired old copper lines).
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20465 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I think Wind and Public Mobile customers will likely be some of the last ones to get 5G, to be honest. It'll almost certainly be Rogers, Bell and Telus customers that get it first... Then their 2nd tier brands (Fido, Virgin, Koodo)... And then at the very end, the third tier flanker brands. Wind doesn't have the cashflow to be able to invest in a serious 5G rollout before the big guns do - hell, they'll barely be finished rolling out their 4G network (and stabilizing their 3G network) by the time the big 3 start doing their 5G trials.

Realistically though - I barely ever notice any issues with speed on my LTE connection (which, in my area, often doesn't surpass 20Mbps)... I can't imagine having ANY need for 5G. That's not to say that one might not arise, of course... New technology and new applications are always coming.

Interestingly, though - a lot of the 5G network rollout announcements I've seen for US providers haven't been focused on mobile at all... Rather, they've been talking about using 5G to replace aging, slow home and office broadband connections in areas that are limited in speed (like those areas struggling with max 6mbps home connections on tired old copper lines).
Apart from LTE having better latency and efficiency overall, it's really not need to consume several gigs in a month. I test well under 20 mbits with Public Mobile, but I could not care less. I am not here to brag on behalf of my provider.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3749 posts
849 upvotes
Got the loyalty discount.... This deal gets better and better...
Sep 27, 2014
397 posts
237 upvotes
Langley, BC
Please put a note for tablet in the title. I'm very excited every time when I see it. :):)

thanks anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
will888 wrote: Apart from LTE having better latency and efficiency overall, it's really not need to consume several gigs in a month. I test well under 20 mbits with Public Mobile, but I could not care less. I am not here to brag on behalf of my provider.
100mbps with Virgin, 50mbps with Fido in the sq1 mississauga area. 5G is not needed with these available speeds, since 5G has weaker coverage it's going to cost more.
Dec 2, 2012
91 posts
224 upvotes
Richmond Hill
HammerJoe wrote: Got the loyalty discount.... This deal gets better and better...
What is the loyalty discount and how long do you have to have been with Fido to be eligible?

Also, is it still available if you're on the 2 year contract (although not really a contract - just a tab on the tablet)?

And finally, is this something you have to fight for - or simply call in and they will apply it if you're eligible?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20465 upvotes
harv007 wrote: What is the loyalty discount and how long do you have to have been with Fido to be eligible?

Also, is it still available if you're on the 2 year contract (although not really a contract - just a tab on the tablet)?

And finally, is this something you have to fight for - or simply call in and they will apply it if you're eligible?
Just ask, there's no fighting.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20465 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: 100mbps with Virgin, 50mbps with Fido in the sq1 mississauga area. 5G is not needed with these available speeds, since 5G has weaker coverage it's going to cost more.
What is your source that 5G is weaker coverage? 5G is needed to address the ever increasing data usage for future applications like self driving vehicles.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)