• Nov 24th, 2017 1:25 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1135 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
SylvainQC wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 11:31 am
Friday, I saw a Fido Store offering the LG Pad III at $0 on a 2-year data plan. They said don't need to be Fido client. They had poster of promo.
From Fido's front page:

Offer available until May 16, 2017, while quantities last, and subject to change without notice. *A one-time $15 transaction fee applies for the processing of your tablet plan activation. Taxes extra.

1. LG G Pad III 8.0 at $99 on a 2-year in-market advertised tablet data plan added to an eligible Fido postpaid mobile plan (voice-only, data-only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible). Early cancellation fees apply. Taxes extra.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1135 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
OK, so I gave it a try this morning again. And, 'done in 60 seconds' Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[5 minutes actually!]

Here:

Hi,
I was thinking of cancelling this data line, however my co-worker is insisting that there is a loyalty credit for 50% off for people who’ve been on the plan for over 90 days [or 180 days?] without the contract [as in who didn’t get a “free” tablet.] Would you be able to confirm and apply this?

11:29 AM Connected. A Fido representative will be with you shortly.
11:29 AM Support session established with [TheRep].
11:29 AM [TheRep]:
Hey, I’m [TheRep]. May I please have your full name and either your Fido phone number or account number? I’ll send you a secure form to ID you afterwards.
11:29 AM MAX011:
Hi again :-) looks like I got disconnected...
11:31 AM [TheRep]:
Perfect, thanks MAX011. I was about to tell you that you are eligible for the 50% discount for data only lines for 12 months. Would you like me to go ahead and add this discount?
11:32 AM MAX011:
Yes, please do so, I'll be very happy!
11:32 AM [TheRep]:
Alright, just one moment please.
11:33 AM [TheRep]:
Thank you for waiting. I have applied the discount for you. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
11:33 AM MAX011:
No, [TheRep], thanks a lot for your fast and efficient help!
11:34 AM [TheRep]:
You're welcome. Thank you for using our chat services. I am glad that I was able to help you today! Have an awesome day! :)
----

So, yes, rules definitely changed. Much, much easier to deal with Fido now! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1135 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks to all for constructive suggestions!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1386 posts
191 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 3:01 pm
OK, so I gave it a try this morning again. And, 'done in 60 seconds' Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[5 minutes actually!]

Here:

Hi,
I was thinking of cancelling this data line, however my co-worker is insisting that there is a loyalty credit for 50% off for people who’ve been on the plan for over 90 days [or 180 days?] without the contract [as in who didn’t get a “free” tablet.] Would you be able to confirm and apply this?

11:29 AM Connected. A Fido representative will be with you shortly.
11:29 AM Support session established with [TheRep].
11:29 AM [TheRep]:
Hey, I’m [TheRep]. May I please have your full name and either your Fido phone number or account number? I’ll send you a secure form to ID you afterwards.
11:29 AM MAX011:
Hi again :-) looks like I got disconnected...
11:31 AM [TheRep]:
Perfect, thanks MAX011. I was about to tell you that you are eligible for the 50% discount for data only lines for 12 months. Would you like me to go ahead and add this discount?
11:32 AM MAX011:
Yes, please do so, I'll be very happy!
11:32 AM [TheRep]:
Alright, just one moment please.
11:33 AM [TheRep]:
Thank you for waiting. I have applied the discount for you. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
11:33 AM MAX011:
No, [TheRep], thanks a lot for your fast and efficient help!
11:34 AM [TheRep]:
You're welcome. Thank you for using our chat services. I am glad that I was able to help you today! Have an awesome day! :)
----

So, yes, rules definitely changed. Much, much easier to deal with Fido now! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
May I ask when you got the plan initially?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1135 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
kenvin100 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 3:40 pm
May I ask when you got the plan initially?
Mid-September...
Jan 10, 2017
329 posts
111 upvotes
GTA
Anyone agree how absurd that with the new Alcatel tablet, they can change the upfront cost of the LG Tablet to $99 instead of $49 when it still costs the same. And most likely bestbuy might not want to do the free tablet promotion anymore.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13111 posts
2964 upvotes
Toronto
MadCanadian wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 4:33 pm
Anyone agree how absurd that with the new Alcatel tablet, they can change the upfront cost of the LG Tablet to $99 instead of $49 when it still costs the same. And most likely bestbuy might not want to do the free tablet promotion anymore.
TBH, I don't think that it is necessarily the new tablet is giving them a different perspective on how much they should charge for the LG tablet. Without discounts, this tablet would have been $240 which I would say is a fair price. It is that we have been spoiled by the huge combined discounts offered on the tablet/data plan. Charging $15 for 3 gigs of data is dirt cheap by Canadian standards. Giving a further 50% discount for a year is an insane giveaway. In my situation, I am going to pay $15 for 6 months of service, followed by $7.50 for 12 months and then maybe cancel early and pay $60 penalty if they don't give me another loyalty discount. My total cost with the activation fee and self referral is $205 plus tax for a tablet and 18 months on a 3 gig data plan. It is hard for them to really make a lot of money on this deal. No tears for them if they are losing money having me as a customer; their loss is my gain.

Since the new tablet is a total piece of junk, expect the giveaways to start soon. This will be one line up you won't see me standing in. Even the GPad II from last year is much better.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4791 posts
118 upvotes
Thank you all for those who notified of the 50% loyalty discount.

I used live chat, first rep seemed rude... basically said that offer doesn't exist. He then said that if my 'friends' told me they got offers or free service, it doesn't mean I can. I thanked him for his time and went on my merry way.

Disconnected, logged off, reconnected with live chat second rep. After I asked him of the loyalty discount and whether it applies to me, he went to check and applied it.
Jan 12, 2017
286 posts
108 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 5:52 pm
Thank you all for those who notified of the 50% loyalty discount.

I used live chat, first rep seemed rude... basically said that offer doesn't exist. He then said that if my 'friends' told me they got offers or free service, it doesn't mean I can. I thanked him for his time and went on my merry way.

Disconnected, logged off, reconnected with live chat second rep. After I asked him of the loyalty discount and whether it applies to me, he went to check and applied it.
I'm 4 months into a tablet plan. Played stupid and said I was speaking to someone over the phone who offered 50% off after I threatened to cancel. CSR didn't bite and said "I can't offer you anything better than the current $15/month" lol.

I'm ok with waiting another two months, I'm just concerned that with how often their offers change that they might not have this loyalty discount anymore.

Every time you chat or phone in, they write notes on your account though. So I don't want to keep contacting them and asking.
Jan 11, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
So is this still gettable? I picked up an uniocked 4Gtablet in the states, I don't even mind getting a phone plan for a month if I have to.
Jan 12, 2017
286 posts
108 upvotes
gershon21 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 2:02 am
So is this still gettable? I picked up an uniocked 4Gtablet in the states, I don't even mind getting a phone plan for a month if I have to.
It's only 2GB for $15/month now and not 3GB. Post paid only but people have gotten it without being a customer. YMMV.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11039 posts
1720 upvotes
Toronto
Mickey21444 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 6:29 pm
I'm 4 months into a tablet plan. Played stupid and said I was speaking to someone over the phone who offered 50% off after I threatened to cancel. CSR didn't bite and said "I can't offer you anything better than the current $15/month" lol.

I'm ok with waiting another two months, I'm just concerned that with how often their offers change that they might not have this loyalty discount anymore.

Every time you chat or phone in, they write notes on your account though. So I don't want to keep contacting them and asking.
It makes zero sense for them to offer a 50% discount for anyone locked into a contract. On a 2 year contract they have a guaranteed revenue stream from you of $360. They're foolish to discount that. At 50% off they really aren't making much money when you consider the cost of the tablet they provided.

So I'd imagine that this won't last much longer. Good luck!

As for people paying month to month, who can actually legitimately switch or cancel, the 50% loyalty discount is definitely doable, just got it last week. Try Fido chat and if the agent stonewalls you, just end the chat and try again.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13111 posts
2964 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 10:14 am
It makes zero sense for them to offer a 50% discount for anyone locked into a contract. On a 2 year contract they have a guaranteed revenue stream from you of $360. They're foolish to discount that. At 50% off they really aren't making much money when you consider the cost of the tablet they provided.

So I'd imagine that this won't last much longer. Good luck!

As for people paying month to month, who can actually legitimately switch or cancel, the 50% loyalty discount is definitely doable, just got it last week. Try Fido chat and if the agent stonewalls you, just end the chat and try again.
Hey whose side are you on? Fido's foolishness is my gain. You have heard companies say that it is expensive to attract new customers and cheaper to retain them. Well, price out an ad campaign and compare it to the peanuts we are talking about here with the loyalty discount.
Jan 24, 2015
93 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SylvainQC wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 11:31 am
Friday, I saw a Fido Store offering the LG Pad III at $0 on a 2-year data plan. They said don't need to be Fido client. They had poster of promo.
max011 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 2:20 pm
From Fido's front page:

Offer available until May 16, 2017, while quantities last, and subject to change without notice. *A one-time $15 transaction fee applies for the processing of your tablet plan activation. Taxes extra.

1. LG G Pad III 8.0 at $99 on a 2-year in-market advertised tablet data plan added to an eligible Fido postpaid mobile plan (voice-only, data-only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible). Early cancellation fees apply. Taxes extra.
Went back Saturday to Fido store, again Fido rep said he can sell the LG Pad III at $0 on a 2-year data plan (2GB 15$) and he can activate it to non-Fido client until he get out of stock.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1135 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
SylvainQC wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 8:00 pm
Went back Saturday to Fido store, again Fido rep said he can sell the LG Pad III at $0 on a 2-year data plan (2GB 15$) and he can activate it to non-Fido client until he get out of stock.
Where is this store? I know someone who could use this offer.

Thread Information

There are currently 25 users viewing this thread. (19 members and 6 guests)

EZSAVE, sreebonthu, Chrno, boskybarrow, bofh, guru2gr8, Allan62, MadCanadian, Bleutea, roscoe001, lordtorman, thanglai, bridonca, muhammadfarooq, gcl581, Qsmooth, djray, ggman8988, VitaXllent