• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2017 1:25 am
Jan 10, 2017
333 posts
118 upvotes
GTA
G0AT wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:21 am
I am with Fido, and did not jump on this deal earlier. I just received an offer from them for 3GB tablet plan with a free LG GPad 3 on a 2 year contract. I have one month to take the offer.

So this deal is still floating around through some other channels.
Virgin mobile offered this back when I got my S7 on contract. 1 month time limited offer that I guess Fido was doing at the time too.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Sep 6, 2016
43 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone tried to negotiate with Fido to increase it from 2GB to 3GB?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1212 posts
421 upvotes
North York, ON
Not sure how Fido system works. Is it possible for me to obtain a mobile phone number starting with the area code of Montreal when I sign up a new line in Toronto? I have a friend who will come to Montreal from China and he wants a mobile phone service before he arrives in Montreal. Basically if the answer is yes, I can get one and mail the sim card to his Chinese address before he departs from China.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13116 posts
2965 upvotes
Toronto
wxw2015 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:26 am
Not sure how Fido system works. Is it possible for me to obtain a mobile phone number starting with the area code of Montreal when I sign up a new line in Toronto? I have a friend who will come to Montreal from China and he wants a mobile phone service before he arrives in Montreal. Basically if the answer is yes, I can get one and mail the sim card to his Chinese address before he departs from China.
I am sure you can give it a try on live chat. The problem is this service is really data only. The pay per use charges for talk and text with the number is sky high. So, effectively the number you get with the plan is useless.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10600 posts
3383 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wxw2015 wrote:
I would contact Fido and ask. Note that this is a post-paid plan. You'll have to get this plan in your name, provide your billing information, undergo a credit check, etc. Also ask about transferring responsibility for the line once your friend arrives here, etc. That could be an issue if he doesn't have a Canadian credit record.

That said, this plan may not be appropriate for making phone calls because Fido charges $1/minute. There are much less expensive prepaid plans, e.g. SpeakOut. Not only does this eliminate the need for credit checks, etc. SpeakOut lets you make free phone number changes. Get the SIM card in Toronto now, then have your friend call them after he has arrived to tell them he's moved to Montreal and needs a local number there.

A better alternative for voice calls with this Fido plan is a free VoIP service like Fongo. Not only can you get a Canadian phone number but your friend can use it in China (or anywhere else) over WiFi until he gets the Fido SIM. Then Fongo will work on both Fido cell data and WiFi.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
13481 posts
5197 upvotes
Kitchener
wxw2015 wrote:
Yes, but do it personally at a retail location, just tell them the line will be used in Montreal and would like a Montreal area code (even if its a data line, you can still receive SMS on it for free so it makes sense to have a relevant area code).
May 1, 2016
10 posts
3 upvotes
riffr aff wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:25 am
edit: I then called and spoke to a rep. At first she didn't know about the 50% off for 12 months but she found it eventually. Got the discount this way instead.
I was able to get the 50% off for a year via web chat. 3GB for 7.50$+tx/m, + having some 25$ referral in the backlog, unbelievable!
Jan 12, 2017
286 posts
108 upvotes
dealseeker wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:25 am
Other than the automated receptionist it's not much different except it doesn't even have free calling right now (though coming soon). It looks like geared more for business users.
Ya but the interface is way slicker. If it has MMS messaging, that would be a huge plus too.
Apr 24, 2013
215 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:30 am
Where else can you get even 2GB for $15 with no contract, no need to bundle with a voice plan, 4G, free extended roaming, no usage restrictions, etc?

Even 2GB/$15 is still a good deal, albeit not as good as 3GB/$15. And of course, 3GB/$15 isn't as good a deal as 3GB/$15 with a free tablet.

Moreover after 90 days you can call in and get the 50% loyalty discount which is even better.
What is this 50% off loyalty? care to share more?
Jan 12, 2017
286 posts
108 upvotes
john5170 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:17 am
It has literally been discussed on almost every page. After 3 months on a naked plan you can call in for50% off for a year and 6 months if on contract.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1143 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
john5170 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:17 am
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Apr 24, 2013
215 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:37 am
Ohhh so this is only for people without contract?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1143 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
john5170 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:43 am
As far as I know... BUT some people were saying something about 6 months @ 50% for those with tablets. Personally, I don't know...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12455 posts
4034 upvotes
Oakville
john5170 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:43 am
People have reported CSRs mentioning that after 6 months, if you're on contract, you can get it too. I don't think it's been 6 months since the tablet giveaway yet though, so I don't think anybody is eligible for it yet.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10600 posts
3383 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wearysky wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:34 am
People have reported CSRs mentioning that after 6 months, if you're on contract, you can get it too. I don't think it's been 6 months since the tablet giveaway yet though, so I don't think anybody is eligible for it yet.
Correct on both counts. The free tablet promo began in early December 2016 so the first people who got that deal who are eligible to try for the 50% loyalty discount have to wait until early June. [I'll be joining them near the front of that queue ;) ]
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)