Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Fido 75u Internet 50% off 12 months new customer eligible

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2019 10:28 pm

Poll: What modem model did you get with this deal?

• Total votes: 56. You have voted on this poll.
CGN3U

50%
CGN3A (variants)

29%
CODA4582

21%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3569 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga

[Fido] Fido 75u Internet 50% off 12 months new customer eligible

Fido brought back 50% off 12 months offer instead of previous $20 off 6 months promotion for new customers on the 75u plan.
Comes to $32.50/month with modem rental fee included.
Last edited by wing0 on May 24th, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
407 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9362 posts
952 upvotes
GTA
Hmm. Doesn't show available in my area. Is this a DSL based service? If there is Bell DSL shoudl they be able to resell it? I am with Distributel right now reselling Bell line.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2297 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Wonder if they can extend current customers that are on this plan right now. Since the promo is available or would I need to cancel and start a new account.
Eat, Sleep & Breathe RFD!! :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3569 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga
YLSF wrote:
May 18th, 2019 7:42 pm
Hmm. Doesn't show available in my area. Is this a DSL based service? If there is Bell DSL shoudl they be able to resell it? I am with Distributel right now reselling Bell line.
It's under Rogers, which is cable Internet.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3367 posts
607 upvotes
Do they still use that crap hitron modem ? When I had this year and 8 months ago I had to reset the stupid modem, without a word of a lie every few days, even after I exchange for a new one, even when it was in the central part of the home.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5415 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
tkl wrote:
May 18th, 2019 8:27 pm
Do they still use that crap hitron modem ? When I had this year and 8 months ago I had to reset the stupid modem, without a word of a lie every few days, even after I exchange for a new one, even when it was in the central part of the home.
Issue is not hitron. Issue is with Intel. A lot of modems are using intel chipset "Puma 6". That was just defective design chipset - it gets overloaded and then starts dropping packets and can't process etc. Reset fixes it for a little bit and then you will be back to square one soon. Intel released a firmware fix which was more like putting lipstick on pig - it just stop reporting but the chipset is still overloaded. Rogers didnt knew for the longest time WTF is going on ... now who needs to know - knows.

Here is a list to avoid at all cost: https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html

PUMA7 is good. Broadcom are good. Essentially anything is good as long it doesnt have PUMA6 in it. Even if you are getting 75mb (relatively) slow internet - stay away from PUma6.

Click Like if you find it useful :)
For Sale:
  • DSLR Slider
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9735 posts
1197 upvotes
Toronto
tkl wrote:
It is the CGN3, mine cuts off at least once or twice a day and they just tell me to reset the modem.

I'm going to ask to swap it for a better modem

Other than that I'm usually getting 90-100Mbps. Signed up in March
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3367 posts
607 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
May 18th, 2019 8:36 pm
It is the CGN3, mine cuts off at least once or twice a day and they just tell me to reset the modem.

My Virgin deal is almost expired so I've got to switch but I'm not looking forward to resetting my modems all the time again.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3569 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga
tkl wrote:
PrinceMS wrote:
May 18th, 2019 8:35 pm
Issue is not hitron. Issue is with Intel. A lot of modems are using intel chipset "Puma 6". That was just defective design chipset - it gets overloaded and then starts dropping packets and can't process etc. Reset fixes it for a little bit and then you will be back to square one soon. Intel released a firmware fix which was more like putting lipstick on pig - it just stop reporting but the chipset is still overloaded. Rogers didnt knew for the longest time WTF is going on ... now who needs to know - knows.

Here is a list to avoid at all cost: https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html

PUMA7 is good. Broadcom are good. Essentially anything is good as long it doesnt have PUMA6 in it. Even if you are getting 75mb (relatively) slow internet - stay away from PUma6.

Click Like if you find it useful :)
XtremeModder wrote:
May 18th, 2019 8:36 pm

tkl wrote:
May 18th, 2019 8:43 pm
My Virgin deal is almost expired so I've got to switch but I'm not looking forward to resetting my modems all the time again.
I signed up to this last December and they gave out hitron coda 4582 and it's the same white colour as Rogers that they give out for 500+ plan.
Not sure if it's 6 or 7 series Intel.
http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/coda-4582/

I have only had to reset it once myself since then when I had some signal issues.
Dec 6, 2010
76 posts
24 upvotes
I've tried a few times to sign up online but getting errors even though it is available in my area and I qualify for the discount.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3569 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga
seanpeacocke wrote:
May 18th, 2019 10:01 pm
I've tried a few times to sign up online but getting errors even though it is available in my area and I qualify for the discount.
I would suggest trying through live chat or call.
I had to do live chat last time to sign up.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2426 posts
2063 upvotes
GTA
tkl wrote:
I'm with Rogers, 75u, using the CGN3 and it's been stable for me, I only have to reboot maybe a couple time a month. Am I in the minority?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6892 posts
1117 upvotes
BC
wing0 wrote:
May 18th, 2019 7:57 pm
It's under Rogers, which is cable Internet.
Please consider adding that to the title; Fido has national coverage, Rogers cable does not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

DonSmi