Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

Fido Mobile Internet Flex data Plan 15$/ Month upto 3GB Data only plan

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2020 6:39 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AncasterRFD wrote: Live dynamic data > standalone GPS. Something like Waze helps you avoid jams/accidents with p2p, "OK google" can quickly answer "Find near me...", look up restaurant reviews, tell you the history about a landmark, etc. Augmented reality is just getting started and will make the standalone GPS feel like a paper map.
BTW, before I got Fido's data plan I used a dedicated TomTom GPS. I downloaded map updates every quarter too, to make sure I was using fresh data. I had a smartphone with SpeakOut's 100MB for $10 data add-on, but that simply wasn't enough data for use as a GPS. One trip to Tronno with Waze and I'd go through half my monthly quota. With 3GB/month it's a non issue.

Now I use my smartphone for navigation and I'll never go back. Another nice feature is integration. For instance if I have an event in my Google Calendar I can just tap on the address and Google Navigator starts giving me directions. Try that with a dedicated GPS.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
max011 wrote: Well, you said it all: “YOU don’t really care”. As I said, for people who do care, and need reliability and solid voice quality, Fongo just _might_ not cut it… Happy it’s working for you.
I don't know if you noticed, I mentioned that the voice "problems" are while on Wi-Fi. I could leave my phone on LTE all the time and all would be fine. It's MY CHOICE not to, not a Fido or Fongo issue. Also, maybe people who DO CARE should spend some REAL money (Fongo voice is FREE, and the SMS option is $1.5/month - if I take a walk in the park I might find this sum on the sidewalk) on a REAL voice plan if they care so much ... just sayin'.
#firstworldproblems
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
RobertRabbit wrote: I have a question for you guys, the VoIP experts.

I want to drop my TELUS 52$ plan for 2 Fido 15$ plan.
What is my best option to have SMS and VoIP?
Something reliable.
Thanks.
There is nothing foolproof and totally reliable. which sucks

Fongo - for some people the quality isn't greatest and they might miss some calls/texts, must user their app.
textnow/textplus - for some people the quality isn't the greatest, if you don't use it your number changes, can't port in a number, must use their app.
hangouts - no sms or incoming calls. And have to constantly verify your phone number for outgoing caller id
Google voice & hangouts - you have to get a gvoice number first of all. Then all your outgoing and incoming calls/texts have to be through this USA number.
voip provider (voip.ms, anveo, etc) - only some of them offer sms and have to use their specific app for the sms. You can use any voip application for calls but keeping it connected 100% of the time can be difficult on some phones and it does increase battery drain
others - there are others out there too (just heard of voico) and they are all something like fongo. They cost money (not terribly high but still some), you have to use their app, some people have reliability problems.

All that being said i still do it because i'm not a big call user. I've told everyone i know to leave a message if they call me and i don't answer. When i get a voicemail it gets emailed to me which is 100% reliable. I then phone them back.
Apr 5, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Hi guys.

Is it really possible to get this plan (15GB data for 15$ / month) and nothing else? I called Fido to ask and they tell me I must have already a normal plan with Fido or create one so I can't have data only. And when I asked if I can create the normal plan to have the deal and then cancel the normal plan, they aid the 15GB plan will be canceled as well.

How do you guys have the data only plan and nothing else?

My goal is to ditch voice and sms and switch to voip with sms. I tried Fongo and find it pretty reliable. Right now I,m paying 40$/mo for 2GB with call+sms with Virgin and it's much more than 15$/mo (fido) + 10$/6mo (fongo sms) and it's only 2GB instead of 3GB..
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
hellodarkness wrote: Is it really possible to get this plan (15GB data for 15$ / month) and nothing else?
Officially, based on what's on Fido's website, no. Unofficially, based on what people have posted here, yes. You may have to try more than one Fido kiosk, Best Buy Mobile store, etc. in order to find one that will sign you up without an existing voice plan. YMMV.
And when I asked if I can create the normal plan to have the deal and then cancel the normal plan, they aid the 15GB plan will be canceled as well.
Always take what a Fido rep says with a humongous grain of salt. There's nothing in Fido's terms and conditions that says you'll lose 3GB/$15 data if you cancel a voice plan. All it says is that you have to have one when you sign up for data.

P.S. For a limited time only, get a tablet with Fido or bring your own to get 3GB of data for $15 per month. Available to Fido postpaid wireless customers.... Offer ends March 31, 2017... Available to Fido postpaid customers with wireless plan (voice only, data only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible).. Note that officially this deal is over. In the past Fido has extended it so again, YMMV.
Last edited by bylo on Apr 6th, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
hellodarkness wrote: Hi guys.

Is it really possible to get this plan (15GB data for 15$ / month) and nothing else? I called Fido to ask and they tell me I must have already a normal plan with Fido or create one so I can't have data only. And when I asked if I can create the normal plan to have the deal and then cancel the normal plan, they aid the 15GB plan will be canceled as well.

How do you guys have the data only plan and nothing else?

My goal is to ditch voice and sms and switch to voip with sms. I tried Fongo and find it pretty reliable. Right now I,m paying 40$/mo for 2GB with call+sms with Virgin and it's much more than 15$/mo (fido) + 10$/6mo (fongo sms) and it's only 2GB instead of 3GB..
Damn, $15 for 15 GB. I want that plan. Should I start a new thread on that?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alanbrenton wrote: Damn, $15 for 15 GB. I want that plan. Should I start a new thread on that?
Sharp eyes.

Yeah, start the thread. I want that plan too.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 5, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Hehe, well I meant 3GB of course.

Also Virgin still had the plan yesterday but today it isn't there anymore. The difference is that you didn't need another plan to be able to sign up (at least it wasn't stated). But you needed to get a tablet from Virgin. The cheapest is the 150$ Alcatel pop 7 LTE which ain't so bad I mean in the long run you'd still save money. And you can always resell the tablet. You would then need to switch the SIM card for a nano-sim (the pop 7 has a micro-sim so I guess that's what they give you).

These were the written terms from Virgin from Google cached page from April 5th:
"
LIMITED TIME OFFER. GET 3 GB FOR $15/MO.
-Available on new activations when you get a tablet with Virgin Mobile
-Any overages in data usage beyond 3 GB will be charged at $10/GB
-Data roaming outside of Canada is automatically blocked to help you avoid pesky roaming fees
-One-time connection charge ($15) applies to new activations on 2-year agreements
"
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3786 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
Has anyone been able to add anything to this plan through Fido?

Value packs?
Call Forwarding?
Unlimited Texting?
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Jan 24, 2015
99 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hellodarkness wrote: ... Also Virgin still had the plan yesterday but today it isn't there anymore. The difference is that you didn't need another plan to be able to sign up (at least it wasn't stated). But you needed to get a tablet from Virgin. The cheapest is the 150$ Alcatel pop 7 LTE which ain't so bad I mean in the long run you'd still save money. And you can always resell the tablet...
No, Virgin promo 15$ 3GB was tied to their tablet. SIM can't be used in any other devices.
virgin-mobile-also-has-tablet-data-plan ... 068184/10/
Oct 17, 2010
128 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, it looks like it's no longer possible to subscribe to the Fido data plan without an existing Fido voice number.

I tried 4 different locations, and finally found a guy who was enthusiastic about setting me up with a data-only Tablet plan and was convinced that having a Fido number was no longer a requirement.

Unfortunately, the system had been updated and wouldn't let him enter the promo codes to sign me up... and of course after he called corporate they told him it was because I didn't have a Fido number. :-(

If anyone has any better luck, post away, but it's not looking good.
May 17, 2004
221 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote: And how’d you suggest to go with constant GV/Hangouts verifications without being in possession of that number?

Every couple of months Hangouts is asking me to verify my number even with that very same SIM in my phone…

Naaaahhh… Don’t believe it could work…
I transferred my longtime cellphone number to voip.ms about 6 months ago. I was able to verify this number for Hangouts so my outbound calls show my voip.ms number.

During my last Hangouts verification, I could not get it to verify again. I went into my Google account info, tried to verify my voip.ms, but the text is never received anymore :( It used to work in the past, but I think Google now realizes the number I'm trying to verify is not an actual mobile number (but rather a voip number) and does not truly send a verification text. That's my theory anyway.

Anyone able to still register there voip.ms number as their outbound Hangouts number?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
eclipsemyl wrote: During my last Hangouts verification, I could not get it to verify again. I went into my Google account info, tried to verify my voip.ms, but the text is never received anymore :( It used to work in the past, but I think Google now realizes the number I'm trying to verify is not an actual mobile number (but rather a voip number) and does not truly send a verification text. That's my theory anyway.
I don't have voip.ms. You might want to try Hangouts verification with a free US number assigned by an app like GrooVe IP VoIP Calls & Text. It's at least worth a shot since there's no cost. Your success might also depend on location, i.e. whether your physical (or proxy) location is in the US or Canada.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote: I don't have voip.ms. You might want to try Hangouts verification with a free US number assigned by an app like GrooVe IP VoIP Calls & Text. It's at least worth a shot since there's no cost. Your success might also depend on location, i.e. whether your physical (or proxy) location is in the US or Canada.
It’s NOT a solution for @eclipsemyl, because authentication with Hangouts is not needed per se. [And I do not believe Short Codes will work with free VOIP numbers given away by applications - same as Fongo – it is not working consistently if at all..]

He wants HIS number verified to use as outgoing Caller ID and – as I warned b4 – it is most often NOT possible using services that don’t play well with the “short codes” [most of the VOIP services anyway]. VoIP providers only allow "peer to peer messaging" and not interaction with any automated endpoint [apparently, something implemented industry-wide to stop SMS spam]. However, with the higher and higher demand for Two-factor Authentication [2FA] this might change soon.

There were some talks about Anveo introducing Short code and 2FA SMS support, but I am not certain. Maybe you should ask them.

The only solution I know of at this point [cuz you are using VOIP.MS already] is using VOIP clients like Zoiper and CSipSimple for your calling [while displaying your phone number] and VOIP.MS SMS application [forwarding to email in real time, just to be on safe side] for texting. Forget Short codes and 2FA in this scenario. And Hangouts without your caller ID [will still work just fine for calling from “Unknown number”].
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
May 17, 2004
221 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote: It’s NOT a solution for @eclipsemyl, because authentication with Hangouts is not needed per se. [And I do not believe Short Codes will work with free VOIP numbers given away by applications - same as Fongo – it is not working consistently if at all..]

He wants HIS number verified to use as outgoing Caller ID and – as I warned b4 – it is most often NOT possible using services that don’t play well with the “short codes” [most of the VOIP services anyway]. VoIP providers only allow "peer to peer messaging" and not interaction with any automated endpoint [apparently, something implemented industry-wide to stop SMS spam]. However, with the higher and higher demand for Two-factor Authentication [2FA] this might change soon.

There were some talks about Anveo introducing Short code and 2FA SMS support, but I am not certain. Maybe you should ask them.

The only solution I know of at this point [cuz you are using VOIP.MS already] is using VOIP clients like Zoiper and CSipSimple for your calling [while displaying your phone number] and VOIP.MS SMS application [forwarding to email in real time, just to be on safe side] for texting. Forget Short codes and 2FA in this scenario. And Hangouts without your caller ID [will still work just fine for calling from “Unknown number”].
Thanks for the reply. I am using zoiper. All my inbound calls work well with zoiper...outbound ones too for that matter. I was, however, being frugal by using Hangouts for my outbound calls which previously was showing my voip.ms number to whoever I called. During the last authentication where Hangouts forced me to revalidate my number, it not longer would send the text to my voip.ms account.

Actually it never worked for the 4 digit short code. What I had to do was go into my Google account and add my verified number there. From there it would send a 6 digit verification code that actually would be received successfully to my voip.ms account. That doesn't work anymore, unfortunately. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
didnt even know googlemaps had a download feature to use offline... learn something new everyday.
Jan 24, 2015
99 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal, QC
max011 wrote: The only solution ... VOIP.MS SMS application [forwarding to email in real time, just to be on safe side] for texting.
"VoIP.ms SMS" + forward to gmail + gmail forward to Fido sim (to receive SMS event if data signal is too weak).
Do not forward SMS (voip.ms) directly to Fido sim (senders number will be your voip.ms number instead of sender number).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)