Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

[Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted) (Read Thread Summary) Expires 12/31

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 1:30 am
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
sdk676 wrote: I haven't read the contract so I'm just speculating, but i imagine it's to ensure the customer stays with FIDO for another two years.
It's not in the contract but it's in the advertised offer T&C: you need to keep your eligible mobile plan throughout the duration of the contract.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
bigmancanada wrote: Is it possible to for this data plan to use whatsapp and Viber etc?
yes and yes (you won't be able to receive the verification SMS on that plan though).
I remember Fido used to charge me for sending text with these applications even though they use only Data and when I chat with them the rep said you if you use whatsapp you will will be charged!
There must have been more into it, if you somehow ended up sending regular SMS on the data only plan you would get charged (though not applicable anymore on the 4GB plans as voice and SMS are now disabled both ways by default), else data is just data and you would only get charged in case of overage.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
heero78 wrote: OK I just got the offer. This 2 yr term does not lock my phone plan with Fido right? Just seems too good to be true. Rep in-store told me no but she didn't seem certain.
Yes it does.

Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
aasoror wrote: The deal isn't good because of the tablet, it's free every day (with 2-year agreement).
The deal is good because you get 2 years of free service (regularly $35 + $15x24).
It is good IF you have good enough voice plan with fido,
that ure not gonna change for 2 yrs, and do not expect any substantial price increase...

Let us say Fido increases ur voice plan by $10 in one year...
Then, if you move, you'd pay a cancellation fee about $200 (remainder for the tablet).
If you stay, you'd pay extra $135 ...
May 20, 2019
45 posts
33 upvotes
What are you all doing for the people who dont have discount codes applied to your copy of the terms? I'm worried that I'll be stuck actually paying $15/mo. There's only 15 days to cancel and refund but obviously by a 2nd or 3rd bill (when discounts supposedly come into affect) your very much locked into this for 2 years.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote: These Samsung Tab A tablets are a lousy value at the $289 list price, let alone the $360 that Fido values them at. Perhaps that's been reflected in lousy sales this year.
I don't think Samsung ever sold a budget LTE tablet at US/CA retail, they are always thrown away by carriers on top of contracts.
But again, trying to use logic on Fido promos is usually logic-defying ;)
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
supad00pz wrote: What are you all doing for the people who dont have discount codes applied to your copy of the terms? I'm worried that I'll be stuck actually paying $15/mo. There's only 15 days to cancel and refund but obviously by a 2nd or 3rd bill (when discounts supposedly come into affect) your very much locked into this for 2 years.
Just call and get them to lookup your account, if the code was actually applied (even if it doesn't show on the contract) a rep should be able to tell you.
If they confirm there is no discount on your agreement then just go back to the store that signed you up and they will fix it for you.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Tichi wrote: It is good IF you have good enough voice plan with fido,
that ure not gonna change for 2 yrs, and do not expect any substantial price increase...
Most people that got the offer are already customers of several years, and chances are they will continue to be customers for the foreseeable future.
Let us say Fido increases ur voice plan by $10 in one year...
Then, if you move, you'd pay a cancellation fee about $200 (remainder for the tablet).
If you stay, you'd pay extra $135 ...
Actually, it doesn't work like that (because it would be illegal).
Customer can't be penalized because Fido raised the principle plan and the customer exercised his/her right of not accepting that change (thus canceling the principle plan).
Remember any conditions that are not explicitly detailed in the contract can only be interpreted in the benefit of the client, not the carrier. So you are only committed to keeping the plan that you currently have right now and nothing beyond that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
Tichi wrote: Tablet is crappy. Not worth it being tied up in a contract with $360+tax to repay.
Unless u r a power user, I don't see what's wrong with the tablet. It also comes with 4gb for free per month.

Better yet, my mom will be using it and she is perfectly happy with this version.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
RiftOfChaos wrote: Unless u r a power user, I don't see what's wrong with the tablet. It also comes with 4gb for free per month.

Better yet, my mom will be using it and she is perfectly happy with this version.
The Samsung tab A meets or exceeds every single spec of the Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet (reg $130 for the 32GB/WiFi version), so yes you can certainly get some usage out of it.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
2033 posts
1013 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: I have voice plan but no free code
Pretty much
What specific voice plan do you have
GurinderS92256 wrote: Called the number op gave and the Rep said something like he can't check if I'm eligible or not because his systems down or something. Asked me where I saw the deal said online at redflag deals. Big homie honoured the deal to me for 2 of the lines on my account because I called in.
Ahaha big homie's probably an RFDer
Last edited by G0DKING on Aug 19th, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 31, 2017
129 posts
325 upvotes
so a month back i called fido to signup for the 4GB data plan, they said i need to be a fido user to get this one and they guy told me to try my luck in store. went to 4 stores with no luck the fifth though agreed to sign me up and waived the setup fee of 35, called them back today to check on this and i was eligible for the free tablet on same terms of 15/4GB and managed to waive the charges again, couldn't get the the 2 years free data & tablet though. no harm in calling and try your luck
If you buy things you do not need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”

― Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Most people that got the offer are already customers of several years, and chances are they will continue to be customers for the foreseeable future.

Actually, it doesn't work like that (because it would be illegal).
Customer can't be penalized because Fido raised the principle plan and the customer exercised his/her right of not accepting that change (thus canceling the principle plan).
Remember any conditions that are not explicitly detailed in the contract can only be interpreted in the benefit of the client, not the carrier. So you are only committed to keeping the plan that you currently have right now and nothing beyond that.
I hope that it does work as you describe. However, fido seems to cover all bases in the screenshot you posted in previous page:
- subject to applicable rate increases
- cancelling voice cancels tablet
- cancellation fees apply.

This being said, I'd jump on it too if I had the offer. Currently have only tablet plans, though 100% free :)
My feeling is that these freee data offers will continue indefinitely.. Data is as cheap as dirt, and will become only cheaper
and fido certainky is extracting some fringe benefits from these offers.. :)
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
RiftOfChaos wrote: Unless u r a power user, I don't see what's wrong with the tablet. It also comes with 4gb for free per month.

Screen resolution. 1200x800p at 8" diagonal is below the resolution of human eye (1 angular minute) .. looks very granular.
Need at least 1080p at 8"
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Tichi wrote: I hope that it does work as you describe. However, fido seems to cover all bases in the screenshot you posted in previous page:
- subject to applicable rate increases
That is a reference to the tablet plan (during and after the 24 discounted months) not the mobile plan.
- cancelling voice cancels tablet
Correct, if you cancel it on your own, not because they "raised the price" (again it's illegal for them to do that and nothing in the terms and conditions allows them to do it).
My feeling is that these freee data offers will continue indefinitely.. Data is as cheap as dirt, and will become only cheaper
Exactly, no real incentive for them to raise hell by trying to use that offer as leverage to force-feed current customers a price hick on their mobile plan.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
Likely a silly question, but just in case. Can someone on Rogers get this deal (since Fido is owned by Rogers)?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1143 posts
454 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Tried chat option they were useless I am going to attempt to call it in tomorrow and play stupid see if they'll just add it, currently have 13gb plan w/tab medium device recently renewed 2 year contract so wondering if they will let this happen...I am suspecting they are doing this for customers not in the beginning of a long term contract to get people stuck essentially but I could be wrong
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2019
1041 posts
1292 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…
karuhime wrote: He has the retention 50$ data plan, so not that bad.
Includes?
U still have to pay for goods/services U agreed to — even if U did so only unconsciously.
A Visa Canada survey of web shoppers, 1 in 4 said they read all the online text. 50% skimmed it & 27% Read Nothing at all before accepting a tainted offer.