Ongoing Deal Discussion

Fido

Fido - Retention Plans

Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
Corel wrote: This. Also aim for extending commitment for the perks that are ending by Mar 18th.
Like the first couple of months free and stuff? But how do I effectively convince them to give me that $10 credit first?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
cn_habs wrote: Like the first couple of months free and stuff? But how do I effectively convince them to give me that $10 credit first?
Flat-out ask for the $50 Smart Plan with a $10 credit; say it confidently and without hesitation, that you wish to renew your contract for another 2 years with a BB Z10 on the $50 Smart Plan - and also get a $10/month credit for the duration of the contract (I heard my friend's co-worker got that deal blah blah blah). I'd also suggest you not be too greedy and just aim for the $10 credit and one month free (that's what I'm allegedly getting, contract renewed March 09, 2013). I'd wager to say a CSR would be willing to give you some discount for signing a new contract, but not all discounts. Granted you never know though, *maybe* I'll call and see if they'll give me more $$ off since they added the "3 months at 50% off" promo recently and I only re-signed a week ago.

If you look at it this way - the current promo "as-is" on the $50 SP gets you 50% off for 3 months ($75) + 1 month free ($50) = $125 savings over the 2-year contract. $10 off per month for 2 years ($230, considering 1 month free) + 1 month free ($50) = $280 savings over a 2-year contract. That's a no-brainer to me, which discount I'd want to take.
Dec 18, 2011
177 posts
40 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Palpaatine wrote: This is what I got offered:

$50 smart plan for $40/month
$35 credit
1 month free
2 months 50%
free nexus 4 (used fidodollars)
2 year contract.

I'm pretty satisfied with this, I could've asked for a little bit more probably but this is enough for me.

Now to my question: If I were to activate a second line for my girlfriend on my account, would I be able to get a deal for this second line, or do I need to wait a bit before calling Retention for it.
thats a pretty good plan. You will likely need to wait 3 months before you can get a deal with new lines.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey folks, I'm on a retention plan since signing for a 3Y term when the ip4 came out. I got about 5 months left, I know I can do an early renewal, but will Fido stack if I were to sign up for a 2Y Smart Plan? What is the best one can get with the $60 SP? People have been getting $10 credits on the $50, can we get more for the $60? It looks like this double your mins/data and 50% offer all expires today so I should act fast?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: Hey folks, I'm on a retention plan since signing for a 3Y term when the ip4 came out. I got about 5 months left, I know I can do an early renewal, but will Fido stack if I were to sign up for a 2Y Smart Plan? What is the best one can get with the $60 SP? People have been getting $10 credits on the $50, can we get more for the $60? It looks like this double your mins/data and 50% offer all expires today so I should act fast?
I'm honestly not sure if the will let you do an early upgrade from a 3 year into a 2 year. However, if they do allow that, then yes they will stack the terms. Fido is the only carrier in North America that stacks (maybe the only in the world) and they are sticklers for it. You might be able to get them to waive the termination fee and terminate and sign a new contract altogether. That takes care of both problems.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
^Thanks, so the standard offer is 50% off for first 3mo and first month free. Anyone get more months? Someone on here said they got 6mo. It would be in Fido's best interest to lock down ip4 customers into this. I was planning on jumping to wind/mobi after my term ends but this SP is enticing and I'm willing to stay and pay more if the deal is right.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
jeeva86 wrote: Hey folks, I'm on a retention plan since signing for a 3Y term when the ip4 came out. I got about 5 months left, I know I can do an early renewal, but will Fido stack if I were to sign up for a 2Y Smart Plan? What is the best one can get with the $60 SP? People have been getting $10 credits on the $50, can we get more for the $60? It looks like this double your mins/data and 50% offer all expires today so I should act fast?
I renewed last week in the same situation and the CSR told me the 2-year would stack (thus 2 years and 5 months until end of new term). When I received my confirmation, the old contract was terminated and new one commenced immediately. I called to see what was up since I was told otherwise, and that CSR told me that early termination fees on my previous contract were charged and completely waived.
Mar 8, 2006
15 posts
2 upvotes
smoothies wrote: coming from a $17.50 plan with 200 txt, NO caller id. Been with fido for over 5 years, never upgraded phone (bought my own phone)

negoiated to this:
2 years contract - Samsung ace 2

$25 standard plan
(forgot if it's 100 or 200mins - have to call back and check)
50% off for first 6 months.
$5 credit
$50 invoice credit.

so $10 for first 6 months (free for 5 months) then $20.

Is this a good deal?

I originally wanted to get Nexus 4, $40 with $10 credits but all they could do is $5credits..
This sounds like an amazing voice plan. Can you detail how you got this plan or offer? Thanks a lot!
Mar 8, 2006
15 posts
2 upvotes
maxqred wrote: This is what i got two weeks ago

$18+tax

300 min
Evenings after 6/WE
Unlimited pic/vid/txt msgs (cdn/us/international)
CID/VM
Canada LD

Coming from a 17.50 per second billing with 200 min, 200 texts. Nothing else.
I really only need CID but grandfathered plan can't have it. Usage is actually enough for me as well.

Is this a good plan? I fear over time, i will be forced to pay more for things I don't really use, and have to look for bargains whenever I renew.
It's tiring.. lol. just reading these long RFD forums is tiresome. Any opinion from people who left the $17.50 per second billing? It's really a $25 plan with $7 credit + 200 min.
This sounds like a really good offer. We really need to get more voice only offers on this forum. Most people get mega $40+ voice+data plans on this forum, which isn't really cheap.

So were you able to get a free phone with this offer?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Failed with fido. I played too nice and they only offered me standard plans and didn't get pushed to retentions. My termination fee was only $100 and he didn't even suggest that he could waive that or anything. I'll try again tonight.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
jeeva86 wrote: ^That's reassuring, what plan did you get?
$50 Smart Plan, $10/month credit for duration of 2-year contract, just called about the "50% off for 3 months" promo which was added to their system one week after I renewed and CSR said he couldn't add that to my contract, but he gave me a one time $35 credit instead. No complaints from me. :)
jeeva86 wrote: Failed with fido. I played too nice and they only offered me standard plans and didn't get pushed to retentions. My termination fee was only $100 and he didn't even suggest that he could waive that or anything. I'll try again tonight.
I asked to have the contract stacked, and the CSR confirmed that was the case. Since I've already been with Fido for 10 years, a stacked contract is inconsequential to me; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't paying any ECF. Just ask to have the new 2-year contract stacked, and the same might end up happening for you.
Mar 9, 2012
81 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
peroxide8888 wrote: $50 Smart Plan, $10/month credit for duration of 2-year contract, just called about the "50% off for 3 months" promo which was added to their system one week after I renewed and CSR said he couldn't add that to my contract, but he gave me a one time $35 credit instead. No complaints from me. :)

I asked to have the contract stacked, and the CSR confirmed that was the case. Since I've already been with Fido for 10 years, a stacked contract is inconsequential to me; I wanted to be sure that I wasn't paying any ECF. Just ask to have the new 2-year contract stacked, and the same might end up happening for you.

I went from a 3-year to a 2 year. Contract was not stacked, and they waived my earlly termination fee. But after that they could not offer me any monthly credits at all on the 40 dollar smart plan. Will probably call back in 3 month to ask for more credits. Hopefully that will work
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2010
1022 posts
365 upvotes
I just called in to try and get the $50 Smart Plan with a $10 monthly credit. The woman told me she could only do a $5 monthly credit and wouldn't budge on it. And now she's written all those details in my file.

You would think they would give more leeway since this account has 3 lines on it, one line is 10 years old and the other is 4 years old. Grr. Apparently this promo with double minutes and double data is ending today. So I guess I will try again tonight...
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
boykee wrote: I just called in to try and get the $50 Smart Plan with a $10 monthly credit. The woman told me she could only do a $5 monthly credit and wouldn't budge on it. And now she's written all those details in my file.

You would think they would give more leeway since this account has 3 lines on it, one line is 10 years old and the other is 4 years old. Grr. Apparently this promo with double minutes and double data is ending today. So I guess I will try again tonight...
customer service can only give you $5 credit on a monthly plan. Make sure you're in customer relations before you try to specifically ask for credits. Plus, you have to be persistent doing these things to get as many offers as possible.
Dec 13, 2009
226 posts
68 upvotes
offer was getting better everytime i talk to FIDO.

first, they offered 2 year contract $60 plan - 50% off for 12 months - i didnt pick a phone as they wouldnt let me get two nexus 4 for free using my fido dollars (only had $115 fido dollars)
called in yesterday to ask if they can match London drugs price for $50 and they told me to do the upgrade with London drugs and they will credit my account $50 per phone - thanks to jjs0891
called in today to get the credits applied manually but the CSR refused to honor the original deal to price match but offered me additional $10 credit per phone plan after 1 year in addition with 50% off for first 12 months and handset upgrade fee waived, which i accepted.
just called in again with a different CSR to see if i can get them to pricematch London Drugs and he said ok no problem i will credit you $50 credit each line.

im very happy with Fido - both lines have been activated with them since 2003 :D :D

note that i ensure i didnt use over 30 mins to still have some leverage on them backing out of the two year agreement.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2010
1022 posts
365 upvotes
jjs0891 wrote: customer service can only give you $5 credit on a monthly plan. Make sure you're in customer relations before you try to specifically ask for credits. Plus, you have to be persistent doing these things to get as many offers as possible.
Yes I was speaking with the retentions department (customer relations) and they were the ones who were only offering me a $5 credit. I pointed out how I am a long time customer, always pay my bills on time, that I knew other people were getting $10 credits but she still wouldn't give it to me (I asked her more than once). Her reason was that "everyone's account is different so they get offers depending on that".
judgfm wrote: offer was getting better everytime i talk to FIDO.

first, they offered 2 year contract $60 plan - 50% off for 12 months - i didnt pick a phone as they wouldnt let me get two nexus 4 for free using my fido dollars (only had $115 fido dollars)
called in yesterday to ask if they can match London drugs price for $50 and they told me to do the upgrade with London drugs and they will credit my account $50 per phone - thanks to jjs0891
called in today to get the credits applied manually but the CSR refused to honor the original deal to price match but offered me additional $10 credit per phone plan after 1 year in addition with 50% off for first 12 months and handset upgrade fee waived, which i accepted.
just called in again with a different CSR to see if i can get them to pricematch London Drugs and he said ok no problem i will credit you $50 credit each line.

im very happy with Fido - both lines have been activated with them since 2003 :D :D

note that i ensure i didnt use over 30 mins to still have some leverage on them backing out of the two year agreement.
Wow you're lucky. Did you threaten to cancel your agreement when negotiating these things?
Dec 13, 2009
226 posts
68 upvotes
[QUOTE

Wow you're lucky. Did you threaten to cancel your agreement when negotiating these things?[/QUOTE]

i only made a threat once two weeks ago and mentioned to them that I already decided to port to Koodo since they are only offering $5 credit on the $50 plan. then, they just phoned me and offer the 12 months 50% on any plan.. the rest was all smooth sailing.

just my opinion, i think the deal got better when i agreed to sign up with a higher price plan. But i am planning to downgrade my plan to the $50 plan if 1gb of data is enough for me. They mentioned i can do that and still keep my credits.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
2349 posts
2808 upvotes
Called today. My expiry date for my contract with the iPhone 4 is October 18.
Apparently i'm eligible for an upgrade April 18 but there is nothing they can do before then (Short of me paying $220 cancellation fee, then signing up for a new plan).

I really want to grab the $50 smart plan with a new android phone (S3 at $99) but it looks like they can't do anything about it for me even though i'm a > 10 year customer. Didn't get transfered to retentions though.

Anyone have any ideas? Don't want these plans to end.

EDIT: for those worrying above, I got told the "smart plans" are expiring April 1st but the CSR sounded like she had no clue what she was doing.
May 23, 2006
243 posts
17 upvotes
Ok, so I just called 611 and tried to get to the Retentions department, but the lady kept claiming that she was Retentions (??), true? I remember 2 years ago I had to get transferred and 611 didn't directly reach that department. I asked for the Motorola Razr HD or the Nexus 4 and I was offered the $50 smart plan with $5 of credit despite her acknowledging my old plan had over $20 of credit. She said $5 credit was the absolute max that she could do because of the smartphone subsidy.

First, was she retentions?? lol
Second, how are you guys getting $10 of credit? She was adamant about the $5 credit being max. How was that other guy up there able to get 6gb on a $43/month plan? I used Wind, Mobilicity, plans shown in this thread and got nowhere.

Help is appreciated!