Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Fido - Retention Plans

Jan 12, 2017
263 posts
93 upvotes
canadianking84 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 12:13 am
Question, is it worth keeping my loyalty $90 10 gb plan unlimited everything or switching to the new $50 5gb plan? I do tend to go over 10gb from time to time, but the $50 is hard to pass up.
I don't think anyone can make that decision for you. Kind of based on your own situation.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24452 posts
5260 upvotes
GTHA
canadianking84 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 12:13 am
Question, is it worth keeping my loyalty $90 10 gb plan unlimited everything or switching to the new $50 5gb plan? I do tend to go over 10gb from time to time, but the $50 is hard to pass up.
fyi, data overage is $5 per additional 250MB for that plan

imho, if you tend to go over 10gb 'from time to time,' I world keep your exisiting plan
Oct 22, 2012
106 posts
8 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 9:45 am
fyi, data overage is $5 per additional 250MB for that plan

imho, if you tend to go over 10gb 'from time to time,' I world keep your exisiting plan
Thank you! I wish the $50 5gb plan had more data in it. :(
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17479 posts
1224 upvotes
canadianking84 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 6:53 pm
Thank you! I wish the $50 5gb plan had more data in it. :(
If it had more data, it wouldn't be a 5GB plan. :razz:
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1703 posts
264 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
I'm on $60 2gb contract, too expensive to break contract to get this deal.
But I need more data, maybe 4-5gb.
Anyone knows any plans I can upgrade to at Fido ?
Dec 7, 2008
2 posts
Burnaby, BC
I live in BC and I'm currently on a Fido Pulse Plan that I got in April 2015. It was a 2-year contract that got me a free Samsung Galaxy S4 (Fido now considers it to be a Plus10 plan). The price was $60/month and it included

Unlimited Canada Wide minutes anytime
Unlimited Canada and US texting
1 GB data
Date overages ($5/250MB)
Free Spotfy Premium for 2 years
Voicemail
Call Display

My contract ends next month and so, I am looking to renew and upgrade my phone.

Ideally, I would like to get a Samsung Galaxy S6 (which is currently available for free with Plus15 plans). I would also like to increase my data amount.

However, the prices I am being given when I log in to my Fido account and select "Upgrade my phone" are a bit high. I am being offered $70 for an Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling Pulse plan with 1 GB of data, $80 for 4 GB of data, $90 for 5GB, or $120 for 7GB. Any suggestions on what is possible to negotiate a lower price for an Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling Pulse plan with those GB amounts? Is there a specific loyalty/retention department that I need to ask for when I call in and any particular strategy to make sure I do get transferred to the right department.

Also, a few other things. I notice that on all the new plans, the Spotify Premium is now only for 6 months. When did this change from 2 years? Anybody have any success negotiating a 2 year subscription with the new plans?

Is it still possible to get the overage rate of $5/250MB that I have with my existing plan instead of the $5/100MB overage rate that is being offered on the new plans. Finally, do they ever waive the $15 upgrade fee. I mean, if I was a brand new Fido customer signing up for a plan, they would not charge me this fee so, it seems unfair that existing customers are dinged for this.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13889 posts
2254 upvotes
Toronto
pnbrown wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 7:16 am
I live in BC and I'm currently on a Fido Pulse Plan that I got in April 2015. It was a 2-year contract that got me a free Samsung Galaxy S4 (Fido now considers it to be a Plus10 plan). The price was $60/month and it included

1 GB data
Date overages ($5/250MB)
Voicemail
Call Display

Ideally, I would like to get a Samsung Galaxy S6 (which is currently available for free with Plus15 plans). I would also like to increase my data amount.

However, the prices I am being given when I log in to my Fido account and select "Upgrade my phone" are a bit high. I am being offered $70 for an Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling Pulse plan with 1 GB of data, $80 for 4 GB of data, $90 for 5GB, or $120 for 7GB. Any suggestions on what is possible to negotiate a lower price for an Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling Pulse plan with those GB amounts? Is there a specific loyalty/retention department that I need to ask for when I call in and any particular strategy to make sure I do get transferred to the right department.

Also, a few other things. I notice that on all the new plans, the Spotify Premium is now only for 6 months. When did this change from 2 years? Anybody have any success negotiating a 2 year subscription with the new plans?

Is it still possible to get the overage rate of $5/250MB that I have with my existing plan instead of the $5/100MB overage rate that is being offered on the new plans. Finally, do they ever waive the $15 upgrade fee. I mean, if I was a brand new Fido customer signing up for a plan, they would not charge me this fee so, it seems unfair that existing customers are dinged for this.
I would suggest saving up and buying an S6 outright (either used from a store or new), and taking advantage of the Fido $50 5 GB plan. It's not advertised but it is being offered to those who mention they are considering moving to Freedom Mobile. It comes with unlimited Canada-wide minutes, call display, mini-voicemail, unlimited international text, and 5 GB data, with overage priced at $5 per 250 MB. I know this is available in BC and Ontario. Not sure about other provinces.

The main issue is that it is not a Pulse plan and does not qualify for Fido Roam. It also provides zero subsidy for phones. If that doesn't suit you, then call in and ask what loyalty can provide, because the prices you listed suck.

Note that you can get a Galaxy S6 unlocked brand new for about $480. That works out to $20 per month over 2 years. In other words, if you get the $50 5 GB plan plus a brand new unlocked S6, it's costing you $70 per month for 5 GB data and a new phone, plus whatever it will cost you to break the contract. If you're nice, they may let you get out early, but even if they don't, it won't be a huge amount, since your contract ends in April.
Last edited by EugW on Feb 22nd, 2017 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 26, 2014
87 posts
38 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
pnbrown wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 7:16 am

1 GB data
Date overages ($5/250MB)
Voicemail
Call Display

there is no chance to waive 15 transaction fee.

But you can renew your plan, I guest it would be plus 15, and try to get 1gb bonus data.
That would be 2 gb totally.
Nov 2, 2008
63 posts
5 upvotes
Saint Mathias
Call today and been offered a 2gig plan plus15 with a 2 year contract for a S6. they also offered me 2 extra gig for the 2 year contract and around 10% reduction on month payment. So 45$ for 2gig +2 extra gig plus15 plan =60$ minus around 10% total 55$ for 4 gig and free S6
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1039 posts
303 upvotes
funkyjoce wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 3:57 pm
Call today and been offered a 2gig plan plus15 with a 2 year contract for a S6. they also offered me 2 extra gig for the 2 year contract and around 10% reduction on month payment. So 45$ for 2gig +2 extra gig plus15 plan =60$ minus around 10% total 55$ for 4 gig and free S6
Does it include Fido Roam?
Dec 21, 2013
16 posts
1 upvote
Hi.. after i read your thread, i called fido regarding this plan. Fido said there is not such kind of plan exist.. i'm with fido almost from 7 yrs. How you got this deal.. thnx
Feb 16, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
The Fido $50 / 5 GB Data plan expired yesterday. No such luck in getting it now.
November 2016 $40/4GB BYOP----> February 2017 $50/5GB BYOP ----> August 2017 $55/6GB PlusPlan BYOP
Nov 5, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
XSHABX wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:03 pm
The Fido $50 / 5 GB Data plan expired yesterday. No such luck in getting it now.
FYI, I just chatted with csr, i got the $50/month plan:

Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
5GB of data
• Mini Voicemail
• Call Display
• Unlimited text, picture and video messages from Canada to Canadian, US and International wireless numbers
• Canada-wide long distance calls
• Circle Calling
• Call Waiting
Data Top-Ups: use 90% data get text for $7/300mb, or $15/1gig (7 times allowed)

No spotify (asked)
No credit (asked)

Upgrade from $50/month 4gig royalty plan.

Basically, I am paying the same but got extra 1 gig.

Edit: I just told that I see Freedom mobile have $35/month for 5 gig of data, do they have anything similar and they offer the above one for me. I try to get credits and spotify and cheaper plan, but they won't budge. :(

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

TheHeeyyy, wwkk624, Az9269