Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Fido - Retention Plans

Oct 21, 2009
64 posts
2 upvotes
macuis wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:19 pm
I too am in a similar situation. My agreement is up on the 2nd of April and I have the same $35 Talk and Text + $30 6GB data add on plan + taxes. The only thing they were going to offer me was the $80 10 GB plan, that I can upgrade online myself. I'll have to give another call in to see what there is for keeping the same plan. Maybe we can expect some deals in the near future with the S8 nearing launch??
I switched over to the $50 5GB BYOD plan. I calculated what it would cost me to keep my old plan at $68 dollars and getting an LG G4 at maybe cost or going with the 5GB plan and its $432 difference over two years. I think I am okie with using that $432 to get my own phone instead. Also I used up all my Fido dollars, so they can't use that to try and "convince" me to stay.
Feb 13, 2016
69 posts
16 upvotes
Called fido to get the google pixel, all they offered was 4gb for $80 or 1gb for $70. I am currently on the 5GB $50 BYOD plan. Ended up buying the pixel from fido to use up my fido dollars, they also gave me a $30 credit. Plans royally suck.
Mar 7, 2017
1 posts
Wondering if I can get some advice... I did what was recommended to get on a retention plan (unltd talk/text 8gb for 100) from my 75 talk/text 3gb. I made the mistake of letting them know off the bat I wanted 10gb/$80 bc, well, I didn't read enough posts to know not to.

First I got 6gb/80 (was only a customer for 2 months) and got to where I am. Had a situation (no wifi lol) where I went waaay over data (bill was 300+) but when my overages were going to give me a 220 bill, I called fido. They gave me an interaction ID # for a one time bail out I guess it was, where my overages would be forgiven & I could use more data the remaining 5 dys of that bill cycle, also forgiven. When I called back to use it, I was told the rep was mistaken and only $105 would be credited.

Got to retentions and got nowhere. Basically I'm wondering if I have any options other than pay the bill and is there anything I can do to get more cheaper monthly rates, yet keep my data or get the 10gb/80? Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.
Dec 17, 2009
138 posts
9 upvotes
Just an update, I had a 4gb + 2gb extra for 24 month on a BYOP for 49.50$ but I noticed Fido put a new plan 6gb for 49$.I chatted with a CSR and told her about this new plan and she switched it for me (effective on my next bill cycle) and I still maintain my 2 extra gb...btw i'm in quebec so ymmv
Jul 13, 2008
96 posts
21 upvotes
Nitecrawller wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 10:14 am
Just an update, I had a 4gb + 2gb extra for 24 month on a BYOP for 49.50$ but I noticed Fido put a new plan 6gb for 49$.I chatted with a CSR and told her about this new plan and she switched it for me (effective on my next bill cycle) and I still maintain my 2 extra gb...btw i'm in quebec so ymmv
where di they post about the new plan?
Dec 17, 2009
138 posts
9 upvotes
ProjecT84 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 10:42 am
I guess they never did.I was just browsing on the website and I noticed the 4gb 49.50$ was gone and replaced with 6gb for 49$.We can thank koodo (and other cell phone providers) and the fact that byop options is opening up options for us.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1158 posts
181 upvotes
ProjecT84 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 10:42 am
they have it on their website. but it's a quebec plan.
Jul 13, 2015
110 posts
28 upvotes
Ontario
Contract is up for renewal/upgrade, chatted with rep. and was offered the following on an iPhone SE 16GB @ $50/month:

- Unlimited Canada-wide anytime calls
- 1 GB (over usage: $5/100 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs, can be upgraded to 35 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
- Fido Roam™
- Free Spotify for 6 months

Wouldn't be charged anything up front for the device, and would be cheaper in the long run to upgrade to the new plan and $0 SE than to keep my old plan ($39/month smart plan) and pay $319 plus tax for the SE.

The only problem is that my old S4 has nothing wrong with it currently... it'll freeze once in a blue moon, to which I simply re-start it and it's fine, otherwise there is nothing wrong with it. Do I upgrade for the sake of upgrading? Or should I keep my old S4? Lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3342 posts
299 upvotes
Vancouver
Was walking by mobile shop in burnaby superstore in bc, they were advertising a bring your own phone deal plan for fido or virgin wireless for $50/month, with 4gb data,1000min canada wide calling and unlimited international text. The guy said it's a weekend only deal, no contract. There's been better deals in the past, but if no time machine in bc, then this is the best deal currently.
Sep 9, 2016
188 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
DMac90 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 10:14 am
Contract is up for renewal/upgrade, chatted with rep. and was offered the following on an iPhone SE 16GB @ $50/month:

- Unlimited Canada-wide anytime calls
- 1 GB (over usage: $5/100 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs, can be upgraded to 35 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
- Fido Roam™
- Free Spotify for 6 months

Wouldn't be charged anything up front for the device, and would be cheaper in the long run to upgrade to the new plan and $0 SE than to keep my old plan ($39/month smart plan) and pay $319 plus tax for the SE.

The only problem is that my old S4 has nothing wrong with it currently... it'll freeze once in a blue moon, to which I simply re-start it and it's fine, otherwise there is nothing wrong with it. Do I upgrade for the sake of upgrading? Or should I keep my old S4? Lol.
You can get lots more data if you BYOD. Or you can get the SE and sell it.
Sep 9, 2016
188 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 9:07 pm
I have 6 months left on my contract. Just got an email from Fido. $100 for 10GB Including unlimited messaging and Canada–wide calling. Good deal or can I do better for around $80? I'm not sure if phone is included so will call tomorrow to get details.
I have that plan, its a Plus35 plan with max subsidies on any phone. The $80 for 10G plan is a Plus15 and the only subsidy is on a LG phone. If you want a lot of data, its the best plan out there. Remember to ask for a 2G for 24months loyalty i addition to your 10G for a total of 12G. Happy hunting!
Jul 13, 2015
110 posts
28 upvotes
Ontario
Mythical09 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 10:42 am
You can get lots more data if you BYOD. Or you can get the SE and sell it.
More data is not all that important to me, I just want a little more data while not paying a shit ton more.

I spoke with a Fido rep and they're offering me a $100 bill credit on either the 16GB ($0 down so it would essentially cover 2 months of bills) or the 64GB (64GB is $149). I also have just over $30 in Fido dollars left to use which are otherwise useless to me, so the 64GB might only cost $50 max after activation fees and whatnot.

Best Buy Mobile is offering me a $200 gift card for a 16GB SE ($0 down as well).

The biggest variable here is my S4 is working fine... so outside of a bit more data and a different device, why bother upgrading?
Jul 13, 2008
96 posts
21 upvotes
DMac90 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 11:48 am
More data is not all that important to me, I just want a little more data while not paying a shit ton more.

I spoke with a Fido rep and they're offering me a $100 bill credit on either the 16GB ($0 down so it would essentially cover 2 months of bills) or the 64GB (64GB is $149). I also have just over $30 in Fido dollars left to use which are otherwise useless to me, so the 64GB might only cost $50 max after activation fees and whatnot.

Best Buy Mobile is offering me a $200 gift card for a 16GB SE ($0 down as well).

The biggest variable here is my S4 is working fine... so outside of a bit more data and a different device, why bother upgrading?
people above already advised that BYOD plan is better, seems like you're asking a rhetorical question now.