• May 19th, 2017 2:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6728 posts
872 upvotes

Fido sucks. Any recourse?

I tried to take advantage of the LG G6 promo with the $400 trade in credit at STC on May 5th bringing a Q10, Iphone4 and a 3GS. Rep was processing it, and said none of the phones are eligible. She said there no way to override the system, so too bad. According to the small print, it says it's eligible. So I went to complained on facebook, making a screenshot of the policy and said this was false advertising cause the eligible phones are clearly listed. Communication went back and forth, she wanted to see the proof and I sent her the exact same picture with the date and time and she comes back to say as per the terms and conditions, they can change without notice so thats it. Nothing they can do. The following day, I noticed their small print was updated with new list of eligible phones. Could be a coincidence, but it sure feels that I told them about the error, and then they went to change it and won't honour the deal. Bunch of snakes....

Attached the screenshot I took.

Anything I can do?
Images
Last edited by EPcjay on May 10th, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1618 posts
756 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
May 10th, 2017 3:21 pm
I tried to take advantage of the LG G6 promo with the $400 trade in credit at STC on May 5th bringing a Q10, Iphone4 and a 3GS. Rep was processing it, and said none of the phones are eligible. She said there no way to override the system, so too bad. According to the small print, it says it's eligible. So I went to complained on facebook, making a screenshot of the policy and said this was false advertising cause the eligible phones are clearly listed. Communication went back and forth, she wanted to see the proof and I sent her the exact same picture with the date and time and she comes back to say as per the terms and conditions, they can change without notice so thats it. Nothing they can do. The following day, I noticed their small print was updated with new list of eligible phones. Could be a confidence, but it sure feels that I told them about the error, and then they went to change it and won't honour the deal. Bunch of snakes....

Anything I can do?
Recourse for what? Are you out any money?

It looks like they changed it yesterday. Sorry you missed out.
Dec 26, 2003
641 posts
184 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
EPcjay wrote:
I tried to take advantage of the LG G6 promo with the $400 trade in credit at STC on May 5th bringing a Q10, Iphone4 and a 3GS. Rep was processing it, and said none of the phones are eligible. She said there no way to override the system, so too bad. According to the small print, it says it's eligible. So I went to complained on facebook, making a screenshot of the policy and said this was false advertising cause the eligible phones are clearly listed. Communication went back and forth, she wanted to see the proof and I sent her the exact same picture with the date and time and she comes back to say as per the terms and conditions, they can change without notice so thats it. Nothing they can do. The following day, I noticed their small print was updated with new list of eligible phones. Could be a confidence, but it sure feels that I told them about the error, and then they went to change it and won't honour the deal. Bunch of snakes....

Anything I can do?
Just buy an iPhone 4s off Kijiji and then trade it in. Probably pay less than $50
Fido
Koodo
Dec 28, 2010
201 posts
60 upvotes
Well you didn't put any money in it. See it as a sign. What if you had locked in for a 2 year contract and then they would screw you over...
Actions speak louder than words
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6728 posts
872 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
May 10th, 2017 3:50 pm
Recourse for what? Are you out any money?

It looks like they changed it yesterday. Sorry you missed out.
force them to honour the deal! Anyone to complain to?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1618 posts
756 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
May 10th, 2017 4:30 pm
force them to honour the deal! Anyone to complain to?
No. They are free to change their offer at anytime.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1291 posts
382 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
I tried to take advantage of the LG G6 promo with the $400 trade in credit at STC on May 5th bringing a Q10, Iphone4 and a 3GS. Rep was processing it, and said none of the phones are eligible. She said there no way to override the system, so too bad. According to the small print, it says it's eligible. So I went to complained on facebook, making a screenshot of the policy and said this was false advertising cause the eligible phones are clearly listed. Communication went back and forth, she wanted to see the proof and I sent her the exact same picture with the date and time and she comes back to say as per the terms and conditions, they can change without notice so thats it. Nothing they can do. The following day, I noticed their small print was updated with new list of eligible phones. Could be a coincidence, but it sure feels that I told them about the error, and then they went to change it and won't honour the deal. Bunch of snakes....

Anything I can do?
You can contact the Competition Bureau and say it was false advertising.
You can also contact the CCTS and complain.

Put the work and effort and energy in to this so that other consumers won't be mislead.

However, Fido doesn't need to honor the original promotion and you won't get any compensation. The only thing that will occur is that the Fido employee will learn from this and Fido as a company will improve. So do your part and help Fido improve their business. Fido deserves your support.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4234 posts
393 upvotes
I'm on your side, OP. They wasted your time twice: first with the false advertising, and second when the rep asked you for "proof". If you had actually paid for one of phones you had, it would be really really bad of Fido to dishonor it, that's unfair. If right at the moment when you brought in your phone, the terms had changed, the website should have changed immediately. I think it's reasonable to expect that since that information/ad was still up when you were in-store, the deal should still be valid.

Maybe try complaining to the Competition Bureau? I can't see that it could hurt--see what they think.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 02776.html
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 00019.html

They have rules against false advertising.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6728 posts
872 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
May 10th, 2017 4:37 pm

No. They are free to change their offer at anytime.
To what extent? Can a company advertise 10$ ps4s, then continue to advertise this without posting any corrections to pull customers into the store? Many customers would be pissed. If they had correction notices posted at the store, I would admit defeat, but not in this case here.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1618 posts
756 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
May 10th, 2017 6:58 pm
To what extent? Can a company advertise 10$ ps4s, then continue to advertise this without posting any corrections to pull customers into the store? Many customers would be pissed. If they had correction notices posted at the store, I would admit defeat, but not in this case here.
Yeah, OP has a case for false advertising... Fido will just get a slap on the wrist and revise their procedures/training etc. It's very unlikely that OP will be able to force them to honour the deal.
Feb 22, 2016
609 posts
293 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Anything I can do?
Do what I do. Don't give any business to Rogers. I love it that the Blue Jays are in last place. And I'd love it better if all the Canadian teams get eliminated from the NHL playoffs too.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3955 posts
328 upvotes
Markham
Primetyme wrote: Just buy an iPhone 4s off Kijiji and then trade it in. Probably pay less than $50
I am surprised people still recommend buying phone in kijiji.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1141 posts
430 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
peanutz wrote:
May 10th, 2017 5:10 pm
If right at the moment when you brought in your phone, the terms had changed, the website should have changed immediately.
Exactly. I don't know why everyone is assuming the excuse was accurate. I suspect the deal was valid in the first place, the mall rep didn't know what they were doing, and the Facebook rep was just guessing. If this was a small business advertising with leaflets, sure, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But if Rogers is pulling an offer, they would - or should certainly be expected to - revise or delete the terms immediately.

I would try to find a definitive answer on when the offer ended, preferably by email so it's recorded in writing. If someone gives a date after May 5th, you have an easy case and a good chance of still getting it honored. If they don't respond or give an earlier date, you can still at least report it as false advertising.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1710 posts
586 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote:
May 10th, 2017 7:23 pm
I am surprised people still recommend buying phone in kijiji.
"Smartie" ? It's for "trade in" purposes only, not for personal use, so who cares what truck it fell off from. As long as it's in working condition, they will accept it
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel