Fido Transfer of Responsibility Questions

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2012 8:11 am
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton

Fido Transfer of Responsibility Questions

Fido doesn't have very much documentation on transfer of responsibility (TOR) (info) and the info around the web seems a bit old, so hopefully someone here might know.

I have an old, longstanding Fido account - it has a $17.50 retention plan with a value pack option for VM and CID. I also have about $50 in Fido dollars. It's not on contract, just month to month right now. I think it is eligible for HUP - haven't gotten a new phone in a long time. If I did a TOR to someone else, would they be able to take advantage of the retention plan / HUP, or would the account lose all of its "retention" aspects and the new owner would be forced into a new contract? I'm pretty sure they would inherit all of the Fido dollars, according to the website info.

Secondly, is there anyway for me to port out my existing number before the TOR?

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!
11 replies
Mar 13, 2012
23 posts
1 upvote
EDMONTON
The best way is to call them. I have recently taken over someone's Fido Contract and Fido dollor carried over. However, Fido told me it is case by case. Also if you have any promotional discount it may not carry over. My case, the original owner had $10 discount on data but I lost it when I took over the contract.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1216 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
It's not possible to port out you're number before a TOR as you're account will just end up being canceled.

If your account only has 1 phone number, then the Fidodollars gets transfered entirely.

Also after a TOR in theory all discount are supposed to be removed. In practice however it's an extra step that some rep will forget to do.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
darkman007e wrote:
Mar 20th, 2012 1:26 am
It's not possible to port out you're number before a TOR as you're account will just end up being canceled.

If your account only has 1 phone number, then the Fidodollars gets transfered entirely.

Also after a TOR in theory all discount are supposed to be removed. In practice however it's an extra step that some rep will forget to do.

Technically they could swap the old number onto another line which you could then port out and ten TOR the old line (with new number). Rogers/Fido can do this but has policy against it. Very strict policy recently.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
TORing the plan and FD shouldn't be a problem. Any credits may not carry over, that part is up to the rep handling the TOR.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1216 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
ceredon wrote:
Mar 20th, 2012 8:27 am
Technically they could swap the old number onto another line which you could then port out and ten TOR the old line (with new number). Rogers/Fido can do this but has policy against it. Very strict policy recently.
Plus it's a pain in the ass to do.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
darkman007e wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 1:31 am
Plus it's a pain in the ass to do.
Bell (and Telus?) allow it. Doesn't seem that complicated to me.

-open new line with new number
-place both old and new numbers into aging pool
-release both numbers from aging pool and overlay them onto the opposite line.
-port new line with old number
-TOR old line with new number

I understand it causing billing confusion and carries a risk of losing your number when it is released from the aging pool, but it doesn't really seem like that big of a pain. Properly trained reps would probably find it fairly trivial.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton
Thank you to everyone for the info and thoughts - I also received some information from thirstyears too which confirms what everyone has been saying.

For keeping the old number, I heard that you could open up a prepaid account, swap the numbers, then TOR the non-prepaid account, but I guess you'll have to pay for the activation fee and the SIM card. I'll ask about that, although I'm not sure anyone from Fido is going to want to make it easy for me if I'm on my way out.

Another question - given that it's an account which has no contract, a decent number of Fido dollars and a retention plan (no credits currently), what would be a fair way to price it if I wanted to sell it off?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
QBert wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 7:09 pm
Thank you to everyone for the info and thoughts - I also received some information from thirstyears too which confirms what everyone has been saying.

For keeping the old number, I heard that you could open up a prepaid account, swap the numbers, then TOR the non-prepaid account, but I guess you'll have to pay for the activation fee and the SIM card. I'll ask about that, although I'm not sure anyone from Fido is going to want to make it easy for me if I'm on my way out.
That won't work. No swaps allowed. If you want to sell you number you will lose your number. The only way it works is to find someone who both knows how to do it and is willing to break their own rules. Fido recently sent out an internal communique reinforcing this policy to ALL staff.
QBert wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 7:09 pm
Another question - given that it's an account which has no contract, a decent number of Fido dollars and a retention plan (no credits currently), what would be a fair way to price it if I wanted to sell it off?
Depends on your plan. If it is a vanilla retentions plan, then it really has no value for trade. Anyone can open a new account, wait a few months and be eligible for the same plans as an account with 10 year tenure. If you have some old grandfathered plan, like unlimited data or unlimited CAN/US calling, then you could expect more. HUP eligibility might also help, if you account has a good or great plan, is HUP eligible for a smart phone, then you might get some interest. If the only thing of value is the Fido Dollars, then you could hopefully get at least that much. The problem with FD, is that they are only of use to someone wanting to sign for a new 3 year contract for voice and data, that really limits your target audience.
Mar 13, 2012
23 posts
1 upvote
EDMONTON
ceredon wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 8:37 am
Bell (and Telus?) allow it. Doesn't seem that complicated to me.

-open new line with new number
-place both old and new numbers into aging pool
-release both numbers from aging pool and overlay them onto the opposite line.
-port new line with old number
-TOR old line with new number

I understand it causing billing confusion and carries a risk of losing your number when it is released from the aging pool, but it doesn't really seem like that big of a pain. Properly trained reps would probably find it fairly trivial.

I recently called Telus and they don't do that anymore.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton
ceredon wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 8:21 pm
Depends on your plan. If it is a vanilla retentions plan, then it really has no value for trade. Anyone can open a new account, wait a few months and be eligible for the same plans as an account with 10 year tenure. If you have some old grandfathered plan, like unlimited data or unlimited CAN/US calling, then you could expect more. HUP eligibility might also help, if you account has a good or great plan, is HUP eligible for a smart phone, then you might get some interest. If the only thing of value is the Fido Dollars, then you could hopefully get at least that much. The problem with FD, is that they are only of use to someone wanting to sign for a new 3 year contract for voice and data, that really limits your target audience.

Thanks, I suspected something like this. Even as a long term customer of 10+ years, they're not really interested in retaining my business anyways, so I doubt it'll be any better for someone else who takes the account.

Out of curiosity, has the recent change in the cancellation fee policies impacted on people signing agreements? Example: if I extend my agreement without any new hardware upgrades but with some credits, and I cancel before the term is up, would I only owe $12.50 + tax since I didn't get a phone? That doesn't seem as bad as before.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
QBert wrote:
Mar 27th, 2012 11:39 pm
Thanks, I suspected something like this. Even as a long term customer of 10+ years, they're not really interested in retaining my business anyways, so I doubt it'll be any better for someone else who takes the account.

Out of curiosity, has the recent change in the cancellation fee policies impacted on people signing agreements? Example: if I extend my agreement without any new hardware upgrades but with some credits, and I cancel before the term is up, would I only owe $12.50 + tax since I didn't get a phone? That doesn't seem as bad as before.
Yes, apparently, that should be the case. But, I have read that some reps are not allowing customers to renew contracts without a hardware upgrade and this may even become policy. Also, some people that have renewed without upgrade have called in to verify their cancelation fees and were told their old fees still apply. It's Rogers, so expect few people there know what they are talking about.
× < >