Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Unadvertised $45 Plan - Unlimited Canada Wide / International Text / 1GB DATA

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2016 9:57 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1539 posts
461 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 12:18 am
Lte speeds are always faster on Rogers.. When typically all carriers have the same price plans, I don't see why would people move away from Rogers. Their billing may be troublesome at first, but once corrected their speeds is still incomparable with the others.

I am still puzzled why people don't like Rogers, they have always offered me better pricing than the other carriers and service wise I have always been satisfied.
Didn't know this. I was always under the impression Fido speeds are just as fast as Rogers.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1974 posts
327 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
renegadeavenger wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 12:25 am
Do you know who you spoke with? You should always take down names and complain if you get a bad agent. May be even talk to supervisor to ensure you get the plan you want due to being mistreated
Why would you have to be so mean and take personal to a CSR who probably just earns $15 an hour? Hang on the phone and call back later.
Apr 15, 2005
22 posts
Surrey
Is this still available. Finally get to leave telus after so many years I can't even count. Is it $45 plus 10% off for brining your own phone? Or $45 and thats already factored in plus tax? Sadly, telus might try to give me something similar and ill give in again.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
1118 posts
217 upvotes
Markham
tddoucette wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2015 8:31 pm
Got rejected for the 45 plan. CSR said it expired and its now $53. However Rogers unlocked my phones for free on the assumption that I was going with Fido. WIN!! So, unlocked phones in need of 1GB of data and unlimited canada wide. Will Koodo still so the $45? What about zoomer with BYOP? Thanks for the info. FREE FROM ROGERS AT LAST!!
so did you tell rogers you were gonna go to fido and they unlocked ur phone? was just wondering what ur process was. thanks!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17034 posts
3889 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 12:18 am
Lte speeds are always faster on Rogers.. When typically all carriers have the same price plans, I don't see why would people move away from Rogers. Their billing may be troublesome at first, but once corrected their speeds is still incomparable with the others.
Fido and Rogers have the same data speeds.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1649 posts
1144 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 6:43 am
Fido and Rogers have the same data speeds.
I am not comparing Rogers and fido but fido/rogers with bell and telus
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3960 posts
704 upvotes
BigBadBum wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 3:43 am
Is this still available. Finally get to leave telus after so many years I can't even count. Is it $45 plus 10% off for brining your own phone? Or $45 and thats already factored in plus tax? Sadly, telus might try to give me something similar and ill give in again.
Apparently it's for existing customers only and not new ones. I'm in the same boat
Nov 19, 2012
373 posts
221 upvotes
kangarooz wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 5:11 am
so did you tell rogers you were gonna go to fido and they unlocked ur phone? was just wondering what ur process was. thanks!
I said I was looking between Koodo and Fido. CSR said she would waive the $50 unlock fee if I went with Fido. I agreed providing they gave me the $45 plan. She had a tech unlocked and transferred me to a Fido rep. The rep would only give me it for $53 so I said I wasn't interested. I received an email stating that both phone were unlocked as soon as a do a factory restore.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17034 posts
3889 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 6:50 am
I am not comparing Rogers and fido but fido/rogers with bell and telus
You might have to reconsider your claim there too. Independent testing in Toronto has indicated that while Rogers has higher median download speeds, Bellus has better overall consistency of speeds and lower latency. I'd prefer the latter to the former. Bellus also has less dropped calls than Rogers in Toronto.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/10/28/bell- ... ss-report/

In Toronto, it found that Bell and TELUS tied for first place, coming ahead of Rogers in overall performance, reliability and average speeds. These were the same results that PCMag found in its latest tests. RootMetrics argued that despite higher top speeds from Rogers in Toronto, the company lagged where it counts: data latency, text delivery and overall performance.

However, it's definitely YMMV, and all three are good overall. The main relevant finding IMO from the study is that WIND sucks. It's not even close to being in the same league as the big three.

BTW, I'm a Fido customer, so it's not as if I'm biased against Fido/Rogers. I'm just being realistic here. Also, my wife is on Koodo, and her voice signal is consistently stronger in my house. For LTE, in my basement on Fido, I'll lose LTE occasionally, dropping to 3G, whereas this isn't an issue on Koodo. Like I said, YMMV.
Jul 15, 2014
261 posts
188 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Called earlier today to end my 3-year contract. Then proceeded to change it to this month to month plan. The CSR listed the exact same options of the plan as OP, at $45. I also asked for the $5 off, he could only give it to me for 6 months, explaining that plans that were $70 or more had a higher option. He suggested calling back in December to get the $5 off promotion added on again. Also, these plans are available for Fido customers of at least 6 months, according to who I spoke to. I'm happy as now I am no longer on contract, I pay $40 plus taxes per month, and I have more data. Thanks!!
[OP]
Oct 30, 2014
94 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ElenaA265 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2015 2:06 am
Called earlier today to end my 3-year contract. Then proceeded to change it to this month to month plan. The CSR listed the exact same options of the plan as OP, at $45. I also asked for the $5 off, he could only give it to me for 6 months, explaining that plans that were $70 or more had a higher option. He suggested calling back in December to get the $5 off promotion added on again. Also, these plans are available for Fido customers of at least 6 months, according to who I spoke to. I'm happy as now I am no longer on contract, I pay $40 plus taxes per month, and I have more data. Thanks!!
Well done!

Not sure why the thread has been moved to the expired deals section when the plan is still available.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1730 posts
861 upvotes
Anyone had success with getting visual voicemail thrown in on top of this?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2011
1617 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I called Fido to inquire about our options since our contract is ending next month and they did offer us this package.. but also offered the option to stay on our old smart plan on a month to month plan with 600mb and still upgrade our phone. So in the end, it's either get a new phone and keep the 400 min/600mb or no new phone and get 400mb more and unl talk. Probably gonna go with the phone upgrade instead.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1278 posts
831 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jun 4th, 2015 9:48 am
You might have to reconsider your claim there too. Independent testing in Toronto has indicated that while Rogers has higher median download speeds, Bellus has better overall consistency of speeds and lower latency. I'd prefer the latter to the former. Bellus also has less dropped calls than Rogers in Toronto.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/10/28/bell- ... ss-report/

In Toronto, it found that Bell and TELUS tied for first place, coming ahead of Rogers in overall performance, reliability and average speeds. These were the same results that PCMag found in its latest tests. RootMetrics argued that despite higher top speeds from Rogers in Toronto, the company lagged where it counts: data latency, text delivery and overall performance.

However, it's definitely YMMV, and all three are good overall. The main relevant finding IMO from the study is that WIND sucks. It's not even close to being in the same league as the big three.

*Insert page consuming graphic here.

BTW, I'm a Fido customer, so it's not as if I'm biased against Fido/Rogers. I'm just being realistic here. Also, my wife is on Koodo, and her voice signal is consistently stronger in my house. For LTE, in my basement on Fido, I'll lose LTE occasionally, dropping to 3G, whereas this isn't an issue on Koodo. Like I said, YMMV.
As a past Fido and a current Koodo customer, I pretty much agree with you. Same basement issue for me with Fido and not with Koodo. I am in Scarborough, while in Mississauga has identical problem too. But again, things like this are really YMMV.

Slight unrelated but something worth mentioning: I know home internet and cellular internet are totally different but even that is identical. With Bell, I got 25 Mbps but lower latency than Rogers 250 Mbps plan that I am currently on. But that might have to do more with Rogers using DOCSIS while Bell uses Fiber?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1724 posts
92 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
The same price? LOL What do you work for Rogers? :)

I have a One Plus One smart phone. Big smart phone. For those that may not be familiar with it, its the size of the largest iPhone or the Samsung Note, etc.
All of these phone companies have decided that the bigger phones for some reason that makes no sense, deserve to be charged more.
Hence, I pay $118 a month for my phone, after taxes and my husband who has a smaller iPHone 5 only pays $58 after taxes for exactly the same plan.
As it turns out, I have started working at home since getting it and no rarely use it but I still want a phone and like to be able to access my Kindle on it, or the internet to read the news, when sitting in doctors or dentists offices, but even then, with all the email I do get, I am lucky if I hit 1 gig per month.
So why is it you believe I should stay with Rogers????? :cry:

Thinking of Wind despite its notorious ability to drop calls.
Im now working at home and no longer need to pay that kind of money.
Not a doctor, not a lawyer on call 24/7 so i figure I can sleep at night if I do miss a call, I will live with it.
To think I can save $80 a month, alll for the price of 1-3 dropped callsl

BUT for $53 how is the quality this service?
Id be a new customer porting my phone over, but then it doesn't sound as if this is open to new customers, and I suspect there will be a higher charge for larger screen phones such as mine. At $53 if i am not mistaken, this doesnt sound any different than the Rogers deal for smaller phones, albeit, its NOT Rogers :)
But I havent any idea what Fido is like....been a rogers customer for a couple decades now
I no longer check into this forum. Email me directly IF you have my newest address.
I have 3 +, pages of 100% Ratings for various BNIB items + Heatware, for sale but focus on sales elsewhere.
found Here!