Cell Phones

Fido or Virgin? Or Another Discount Carrier?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 6:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 31, 2008
267 posts
50 upvotes
Oakville

Fido or Virgin? Or Another Discount Carrier?

Ok folks - so I'm in a situation now whereby I've had a corporate phone forever and now I need to switch to my own payed private plan.

Bell and Robbers both want $85 - $90 for 2gb of data and unlimited talk.

Fido and Virgin are offering unlimited talk and 4gb of data for $60-$65.

Anyone know of any other companies or better deals I should be on the look for?

Thanks in advance!
13 replies
Apr 17, 2014
488 posts
138 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Public Mobile

Unlimited Province calling, global text, 2 gigs data, VM, CID

$38 a month.

Sub of Telus.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12264 posts
3907 upvotes
Oakville
Public Mobile if you've got a phone already and don't mind no call-in support (it's online only, but it's been way better in my experience than calling in to Rogers, for example).

Are those Fido/Virgin plans for BYOD? If so, and you want/need that much data, Koodo is cheaper on a Quebec plan (which you can get in Ontario, no fraud required, by jumping through a few relatively easy to handle hoops) at $49/4GB or $54/6GB. Add a phone on medium tab for an extra $15/month if you want a phone as well (and Koodo often has great discounts on phones as well, where the discount isn't just tacked onto your device balance so you don't feel as locked in).
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1939 posts
302 upvotes
Here is a link for you people who don't know the relationship between the Cellular Phone Providers in Canada:

List of Canadian Mobile Phone Companies

Just an example of the echelon:
Top Tier - Rogers
Middle Tier - Fido (owned by Rogers) ... signal/coverage inferior to Rogers
Low-end - Chatr (owned by Rogers) ... signal/coverage the worst
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2440 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AV-Fishing wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 9:35 pm
Here is a link for you people who don't know the relationship between the Cellular Phone Providers in Canada:

List of Canadian Mobile Phone Companies

Just an example of the echelon:
Top Tier - Rogers
Middle Tier - Fido (owned by Rogers) ... signal/coverage inferior to Rogers
Low-end - Chatr (owned by Rogers) ... signal/coverage the worst
I haven't conclusively tested the network quality between Rogers, Fido & Chatr, but I can certainly tell you THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO NETWORK QUALITY DIFFERENCE between TELUS, Koodo and Public Mobile.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23899 posts
2297 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
mobifree wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 11:32 am
I haven't conclusively tested the network quality between Rogers, Fido & Chatr, but I can certainly tell you THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO NETWORK QUALITY DIFFERENCE between TELUS, Koodo and Public Mobile.
There should be no quality difference on the Rogers brands either. If we're comparing apples to apples. Chatr is only 3G

I think there is a network priority difference (unproven), but not quality difference
Nov 7, 2016
74 posts
12 upvotes
Canada
My Rogers BYOD plan costs me $57 for 7GB of data, province-wide calls and unlimited text messages. You just have to carefully shop for plans !
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13887 posts
2254 upvotes
Toronto
Virgin Mobile supports Roam Sweet Roam with plans that have Unlimited minutes. (These generally are more expensive plans.)
Fido supports Fido Roam with plans that specifically support Fido Roam. (These generally are more expensive plans.)
AFAIK, Koodo has no comparable feature.

All three support iPhone Visual Voicemail as an add-on.
Public Mobile does not support iPhone VVM at all.

Only Fido has Name Display support (like its parent Rogers), usually as an add-on, but it's included with some of the more expensive plans.
Virgin Mobile does not support Name Display at all. Neither does Koodo or Public Mobile.

Fido has full phone and Live Chat support.
Koodo has limited support options. Public Mobile is even worse.
Not sure about Virgin Mobile.

We have had Fido, Koodo, and Public Mobile in this house, and prefer Fido, because of Name Display, iPhone VVM, and support options.
Gee wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 11:58 am
There should be no quality difference on the Rogers brands either. If we're comparing apples to apples. Chatr is only 3G

I think there is a network priority difference (unproven), but not quality difference
I don't think there is any difference at all between Rogers and Fido priority.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12264 posts
3907 upvotes
Oakville
TwitchyPuppy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 9:44 pm
My Rogers BYOD plan costs me $57 for 7GB of data, province-wide calls and unlimited text messages. You just have to carefully shop for plans !
"Carefully shop for plans" implies that all you have to do is look carefully and you'll be able to find a good plan. In Ontario, Rogers charges $115 a month for that plan (on BYOD). Getting that plan for $57 in Ontario (without using fraud, or having to jump through some spectacular retentions hoops) would be pretty impressive.
Public Mobile
Jun 15, 2006
986 posts
33 upvotes
TwitchyPuppy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 9:44 pm
wearysky wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 12:56 pm
"Carefully shop for plans" implies that all you have to do is look carefully and you'll be able to find a good plan. In Ontario, Rogers charges $115 a month for that plan (on BYOD). Getting that plan for $57 in Ontario (without using fraud, or having to jump through some spectacular retentions hoops) would be pretty impressive.
Yes I'd like to know how to get that plan as I'm currently shopping for a new plan.

Is there any difference in opting for the tab plans vs BYOD? I know BYOD means you obviously pay the entire cost of the phone upfront vs these tab plans that spread it over the 2 year contract. Is that the only difference or do you actually save money opting for these tab plans and buying the phone from the carrier?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2526 posts
365 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
enigma54 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 4:14 pm
Is there any difference in opting for the tab plans vs BYOD? I know BYOD means you obviously pay the entire cost of the phone upfront vs these tab plans that spread it over the 2 year contract. Is that the only difference or do you actually save money opting for these tab plans and buying the phone from the carrier?
That is exactly why it's hard to find the best deal. Sometimes the tab plan will be exactly the cost of the phone split over 24 payments. Sometimes they also include a special credit or gift card at signup of the tab which does offsets the cost and make it better than byod. But not always. And then there are times where the monthly tab portion is lower and happens to come out to less than the full price of the phone.

Oh and don't forget the limitations. Company A advertizes a particular $500 hone as a $20/month tab. Company B advertizes the same phone as a $15/month tab. BUT company B says to get that tab price you must get a monthly plan from this group that costs at least $5 more than company A.

But you wont' know unless you do the math. I tried doing this for my sister recently and it was infuriating to try to actually compare things.
Nov 7, 2016
74 posts
12 upvotes
Canada
enigma54 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 4:14 pm
Yes I'd like to know how to get that plan as I'm currently shopping for a new plan.

You actually save by bringing your own device, since the carrier doesn't have to split the cost of your device (minus subsidized price) into 24 months.

At the plan is a promotional one for Rogers' customers located in Quebec (dunno about the other provinces).
Nov 7, 2016
74 posts
12 upvotes
Canada
wearysky wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 12:56 pm
In fact "Carefully shop for plans" implies taking your time to shop for them, find deals and negotiate. Not jump on the first one you see.