Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

Wireless Home Phone - $10/20 (Current Customer) or $30 (New Customer) /Month

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2016 9:21 am
Tags:
None
Nov 21, 2009
193 posts
75 upvotes
Just get voip with freephoneline.ca
Banned
Dec 29, 2008
287 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Is this dependent on my wireless cell phone being there? Or do I get a new number for home use only?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
its just like verizons wifi home calling.
this is just a wireless ATA.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
1218 posts
633 upvotes
agadgetgeek wrote: Is this dependent on my wireless cell phone being there? Or do I get a new number for home use only?
that's my question as well, would consider porting my Bell home phone line to fido for this, would be using one modem and panasonic cordless (one base, extended with a few other handsets throughout the house).
she may be payin for dinner, but i'll be earnin it later!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
goozy1 wrote: I don't get it. What's the point of this?? Most mobile plans now include unlimited canada wide minutes so why would you need a separate home phone?

I can't see anyone who would benefit from this unless you have an old fido plan with limited minutes and make all your calls when you are at home. But then you might as well switch to Wind or Chatr or something
You can connect your home phones which can be placed all over your home, which is ideal for families whereas sharing 1 cellphone or having 4 cellphones can be tricky/expensive. Also this is $10 for current customers, so unlimited mins for 10 is great and for me who uses a landline i will be saving by switching, and I personally feel better using fido instead of a voip.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2003
1406 posts
454 upvotes
Brampton, ON
jjs0891 wrote: what if you have 3 phones in 3 different rooms? Would you need 3 modems?..

how would i switch from telus to this?
You would have to switch to a wireless phone system with Multiple handsets, where you connect base station to wireless ATA (device Fido provides for $30) and basestation connects to all the handsets. If you dont have wireless handset than you would need to probably buy three ATA's from Fido ($90), dont know if you have pay $10 for each ATA or they can add all ATA to same account/number.
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
my handsets are wireless. They're the exact ones on the Fido website. So do i just connect the base station with the fido box w/e and then all my handsets would work?..

also how would i keep my number? Do I sign up for this before i cancel my telus home phone?
nerdonsite wrote: You would have to switch to a wireless phone system with Multiple handsets, where you connect base station to wireless ATA (device Fido provides for $30) and basestation connects to all the handsets. If you dont have wireless handset than you would need to probably buy three ATA's from Fido ($90), dont know if you have pay $10 for each ATA or they can add all ATA to same account/number.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1710 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if I would need to pay dry loop fee for my dsl Internet then
Member since 2006

Fido- $40/15GB
Curren phone: Samsung s20FE
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
Guys, this is much better than using freephoneline if Fido uses their cellular network instead of your wifi. It would definitely make it worth 10$.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2003
1406 posts
454 upvotes
Brampton, ON
jjs0891 wrote: my handsets are wireless. They're the exact ones on the Fido website. So do i just connect the base station with the fido box w/e and then all my handsets would work?..
Yes it would work, as base station will be doing all the communication with Fido ATA.

^It would only make sense if your city is not covered by FPL or if your not tech savvy enough to setup/maintain voip.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213940 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

If there is a power failure, that modem will be useless, unless you have a UPS attach to it, yet, that won't last long. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my home phone, that would save me 25$, but with the dry-loop fees still in affect, no point for me...

Ju Leon...
Apr 21, 2008
490 posts
211 upvotes
So is this Wireless-VOIP (over HSPA & LTE)? or circuit-switched GSM-Wireless Based?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

If there is a power failure, that modem will be useless, unless you have a UPS attach to it, yet, that won't last long. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my home phone, that would save me 25$, but with the dry-loop fees still in affect, no point for me...

Ju Leon...

A power failure only happens once or twice a year, especially in Montreal.

It wouldn't last more than a few minutes (few hours if it's really bad), and you have your Fido cell as backup for those "omg, I can't live without my telephone for 15 minutes" moments.

With those 25$ a month you save, pay the install fee to go with ElectronicBox on cable and get rid of that crappy unreliable DSL.
Jun 28, 2012
113 posts
31 upvotes
do you guys think fax machine would work with this?
Apr 6, 2008
241 posts
62 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Can I have this phone in a different city where I'm located, just thinking to send it to my mother that lives in a different province or Can I have a vancouver number while I live in Toronto?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

Ju Leon...
If the wireless device is indeed the ZTE WF720, then it should have a battery built-in as backup.

[IMG]http://www.att.com/support_media/images ... Step_1.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1942 posts
3072 upvotes
VANCOUVER
skidragoon wrote: You can connect your home phones which can be placed all over your home, which is ideal for families whereas sharing 1 cellphone or having 4 cellphones can be tricky/expensive.
but you can already do that WITHOUT paying fido a monthly fee. Just buy a bluetooth-enabled cordless phone adapter:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Resource-Ar ... 9000050039

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplate ... cat0800000

skidragoon wrote: Also this is $10 for current customers, so unlimited mins for 10 is great and for me who uses a landline i will be saving by switching, and I personally feel better using fido instead of a voip.
Yes but my point was that this is a rip off since you can get a unlimited plan from Chatr for $20/month:
http://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr. ... ePromotion

if you already have a fido plan (without unlimited minutes) it would need to be less than $10 a month to be cheaper than going with Chatr.
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
that is local outgoing. You'd need to pay $35 a month from chatr to get unlimited canada-wide. Which is what this is, for $10 a month. Point is, this is awesome. Deal with it.
goozy1 wrote: but you can already do that WITHOUT paying fido a monthly fee. Just buy a bluetooth-enabled cordless phone adapter:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Resource-Ar ... 9000050039

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplate ... cat0800000

Yes but my point was that this is a rip off since you can get a unlimited plan from Chatr for $20/month:
http://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr. ... ePromotion

if you already have a fido plan (without unlimited minutes) it would need to be less than $10 a month to be cheaper than going with Chatr.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
this is regular wireless service.
think of the box as a cellular router.
erichau wrote: So is this Wireless-VOIP (over HSPA & LTE)? or circuit-switched GSM-Wireless Based?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)