Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Wireless Home Phone - $10/20 (Current Customer) or $30 (New Customer) /Month

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2016 9:21 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18011 posts
6045 upvotes
Toronto
yuprules wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 6:28 pm
So I just got "the call" from Bell Canada to convince me to stay with them. THEY OFFERED ONE HECK OF A DEAL.

I currently have THREE services with them, for $160 with taxes for:
Fibe TV with 25 channels
Fibe 15 internet
Home phone with ZERO features.

He offered me $113 TAX IN for all existing three services. That's a savings of $48 A MONTH (if you don't mind having zero features on your land line), that's a savings of $576 a year (Fido costs $138 a year with taxes).

I asked what if I want Canada Wide, Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting like Fido? He offered $131 tax in with all of Fido's features BUT WITH UNLIMITED NORTH AMERICA LONG DISTANCE. That's pretty sweet if you call the U.S.

KILLS the Fido Home phone deal for $10 a month! I NEARLY took it until he said it's only valid for a year and I had to renegotiate.

If you are planning on going to Fido home phone, do it and if you get the same deal as me and don't mind renegotiating (or risking the Fido price going UP)...do it. Fido accepts returns within 15 days in MOST Provinces as long as you didn't place tons of calls on it before the port (please double check first).
Lol, I was offered the same carrot. I graciously declined.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18011 posts
6045 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 6:00 pm
The ZTE doesn't support name display, only numeric call display
Name display is plan dependent. I have two of these plans, one that was set up recently and one that I had since inception of the wireless home phone service. The newer plan does name display but the older one does not. There are other odd differences between the two plans. The old plan has detailed billing while the new one does not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8883 posts
1427 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 11:04 pm
Lol, I was offered the same carrot. I graciously declined.
Yeah, it was tempting the $113 tax in deal (Fibe TV, Fibe 15 internet, Real Land line).
I don't really care about call display THAT much or call waiting. I don't even need Canada Wide calling, everyone I speak to is on Skype :) But alas, only valid for a year.
dankup wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 9:40 pm
We have Fibe 25 and Select Fibe TV + a language pack for $105/month. + $10 Fido home phone. $131 tax for all that? Man oh man..
$105 tax in for Fibe 25 and Fibe TV? Great deal, we don't have that price in Montreal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7005 posts
342 upvotes
York
yuprules wrote:
Dec 12th, 2014 7:21 pm
Yeah, it was tempting the $113 tax in deal (Fibe TV, Fibe 15 internet, Real Land line).
I don't really care about call display THAT much or call waiting. I don't even need Canada Wide calling, everyone I speak to is on Skype :) But alas, only valid for a year.

$105 tax in for Fibe 25 and Fibe TV? Great deal, we don't have that price in Montreal.
Yup. We got a great deal with the guaranteed price for 1 year (no contract) and I hope to get it extended when I call in the fall and threaten to cancel.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
369 upvotes
Brampton
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is already answered, I could not find this info.

Does Fido give a phone along with zte device ? Or I need to buy the phone separately ? I've 45 Fido dollars, which I'm planning to use for the purchase of the home phone.
Feb 3, 2010
263 posts
37 upvotes
You have to supply your own phone but buy the Ste device from Fido and I used my Fido dollars to buy it
Jan 29, 2007
442 posts
17 upvotes
I have the FIDO DEVICE if you guys are looking to save 45$. Used it for a couple of months but then switch to Rogers and the SOBs wouldn't let me use the old modem and forced me to get a new one, even though it's the exact same model.
PM accepted.
shenzi13 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 10:04 am
You have to supply your own phone but buy the Ste device from Fido and I used my Fido dollars to buy it
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary
Signed up for this just now, except Im paying $15/month but I got fido to include 1000 mins to the U.S every month (which is reg $10). Great deal!

Got my number ported (telus) to the fido. Was so sick of Telus charging $25 for the landline (and no long distance) and their weak promos that they give me ($15/ month for only 6 months). They couldnt match the Fido offfer so I said see ya! But I think with me already having a 50% perm discount (through work) on my telus bill for TV and internet might of had something to do with this ha. Without the 50% and i wouldnt be using telus for anything, they are a complete rip off.

A great incentive to using this over Telus is that you get fido dollars from it! The only bad thing about Fido, is that I had to fork out $40 for the box.

I really wish Fido would come out with a home internet service, cause Id go with them in a heartbeat. If fido ever came out with an unlimited data plan for phones, I would go with this and just tether my home computer to this and scrap the home internet connection. Even with my 50% discount on telus, Im still paying $27/ month for just internet! What a joke.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1662 posts
1026 upvotes
Montreal, QC
yuprules wrote:
Dec 12th, 2014 7:21 pm

Well, Montreal, or somewhere in ontario doesn't make a huge difference for Bell..

Only thing I have from B(H)ell is still thier land line (for alarm system) and wife's stubbornness since she hates VOIP. I have call waiting, caller display, etc.. (ie: Visual Call waiting on the line)... Well One day I got fed up with thier latest price hike, called to cancel, and the bill went from $43/month to $27.50/month ($15.50/month discount, pre taxes - heard others getting $18/month discount). Had to threaten to cancel before they offered it ;( And before I hung up, the agent even told me to not forget to call before the 12 months was up, to get the "next" promo.. Needless to say, I call back every year, and just ask for an extension of the same promo, and no hassles so far 2 renewals in a row..

For second home phone for the kids rooms, I have freephoneline.ca.. Third party ISP for 10Mb unlimited cable internet for $40/month (no dependancy on DSL - and Videotron backbone for cable is quite solid). For TV, I have basic Videotron analog cable for $30 some/month, and that will die this summer as soon as I get a chance to install my OTA HD antenna and can get pretty much everything the basic cable service offers.. I installed one for a buddy this past summer, and he loves it. Either way, most movies we watch are streamed online, since cable is useless for that. Many cheaper alternatives out there... Just need to take the time to investigate and take a decision.

I'm paying about $100/month for HomePhone/TV/internet services, and will drop further if I can convince the wife to drop B(H)ell (alarm is not a huge issue - if I can save $30/month on home phone, I'll pay the $10 or $15 premium for internet or cellular monitoring on my alarm). And then get rid of basic cable by going with OTA HD antenna. Target is $50-$60/month by next summer..

Funny how during the last power failure, my kids VOIP phone was up, yet Bell's landline was down due to something local blowing during the outage. Took the crooks 3 days to fix it.. So what type of premium is that ? I have 2x 1500VA SmartUPS units (way oversized for what I need) protecting most of my network equipment, so power outages, are not a huge problem, unless they last over 10hrs.. And got my Cell after that..

For the FIDO plan, I agree it is quite useless for single people since they primarily use thier cells anyhow..
For families however, it is very handy if you have kids at home and only 1 or 2 members have cells.. And at $10/month, it is very nice..
Mar 15, 2007
43 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
sphinxx wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 10:17 am
I have the FIDO DEVICE if you guys are looking to save 45$. Used it for a couple of months but then switch to Rogers and the SOBs wouldn't let me use the old modem and forced me to get a new one, even though it's the exact same model.
PM accepted.
oof, good to know they're not interchangable any more. (I also have a Fido device for sale)
Jun 4, 2007
142 posts
20 upvotes
Oshawa
Dunro wrote:
Dec 20th, 2014 6:16 pm
oof, good to know they're not interchangable any more. (I also have a Fido device for sale)
I signed up for a second Fido home phone during the last $10 promo, all they wanted was the MEI from the ZTE WF720 i already had from Rogers.
Just don't mention it was from Rogers, and it works perfectly.
Nov 21, 2007
431 posts
39 upvotes
Any possibilities to obtain the $10 plan for non fido customers? Any upcoming promos for the holidays, boxing day?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6255 posts
736 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if "identicall" or "distinctive ring for a second number" is an available option?
Mar 24, 2010
958 posts
122 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 11:07 pm
Name display is plan dependent. I have two of these plans, one that was set up recently and one that I had since inception of the wireless home phone service. The newer plan does name display but the older one does not. There are other odd differences between the two plans. The old plan has detailed billing while the new one does not.
correct me if im wrong but you're saying name display DOES work?
I used Fido wireless home phone in 2013 and unfortunately it did not work out so well, so went to rogers & now I'm coming back lol

My main issue was static noise and lack of name display.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18011 posts
6045 upvotes
Toronto
lolatyou1 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2015 9:36 pm
correct me if im wrong but you're saying name display DOES work?
I used Fido wireless home phone in 2013 and unfortunately it did not work out so well, so went to rogers & now I'm coming back lol

My main issue was static noise and lack of name display.
Yeah it does. I found out about it through my sister. I purchased a plan for her because she is not a Rogers/Fido customer. One day she messages me and says all her contacts are telling her the name display seems to be wrong. I went online to the Rogers site and actually found a link to change the name display. I tried, didn't work, called support and they changed it for me.