Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] [Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted) (Read Thread Summary) EXTENDED to 9/30

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2019 2:26 pm
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
bylo wrote:
Sep 21st, 2019 2:52 am
Anything over 480p is probably a waste of resources as far as the eyes can see
At half an arms reach (typical viewing distance for handhelds), an adult with good eyesight can certainly resolve far more than 189 PPI (tab A's density at native resolution). For an 8" tablet, there is enough bump in PPI that people "should" be able to distinguish the difference between HD, FHD and QHD panels when playing content matching native resolution.

Here are some numbers to crunch:
https://wolfcrow.com/notes-by-dr-optogl ... human-eye/
Mar 7, 2011
8 posts
7 upvotes
MoMoneyNow wrote:
Sep 19th, 2019 5:12 am
Does it? I though it doesnt? Anyone had success with textnow?? Or any other voip service?
WhatsApp worked for me with TextNow. Sms verification didn't but getting WhatsApp to call the number to verify did work. Keep in mind if you have WhatsApp on your phone AND your tablet, it will be two separate numbers which kind of defeats the purpose. This is a WhatsApp (intentional) limitation.
Aug 5, 2019
17 posts
4 upvotes
Ordered samsung tablet on 13th over the phone. The rep said sim card will be delivered in a few days and the tablet may be delayed about a week or so. I got an email from fido on 19th saying

Dear Valued Customer,
Your recent purchase of a OBERTHUR FIDOTRISIM, Samsung SSTABA8 Black, is still being processed. When your device leaves our warehouse, we’ll send you an email with a tracking number and courier details

Waiting waiting...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1641 posts
492 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Sep 21st, 2019 7:01 am
At half an arms reach (typical viewing distance for handhelds), an adult with good eyesight can certainly resolve far more than 189 PPI (tab A's density at native resolution). For an 8" tablet, there is enough bump in PPI that people "should" be able to distinguish the difference between HD, FHD and QHD panels when playing content matching native resolution.

Here are some numbers to crunch:
https://wolfcrow.com/notes-by-dr-optogl ... human-eye/
+++ As a rough standard, a 1 angular minute is a healthy human eye resolution. Equivalent to 300 ppi/dpi viewed from a 30 cm range ( the same figure for printed press and tablets alike).

Cellphones are typically viewed from a closer distance, so they require more ppi, but, for the tablets, 300 ppi (or moderately inferior, say 2xx ppi) is okey...
Nov 23, 2018
8 posts
MoMoneyNow wrote:
Sep 19th, 2019 5:11 am
As far as i know whatsapp cant be run on a tablet... Anyone have any other experience??
I have installed Whatsapp downloaded from play store on tab A no problem . Received text on tablet and it’s running fine
May 13, 2017
21 posts
6 upvotes
I got my plan and tablet from wireless wave yesterday but then I got a txt saying I have to fax a shot of the offer page with my name and account number to Fido in order to get my $15 credit monthly. First who on earth have fax machine... 2nd there a no way it can show my name and account number on the offer page... Anyone experience this? Any suggestion what should I do with that?
Jul 14, 2019
228 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Chowhoi510 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2019 12:17 pm
I got my plan and tablet from wireless wave yesterday but then I got a txt saying I have to fax a shot of the offer page with my name and account number to Fido in order to get my $15 credit monthly. First who on earth have fax machine... 2nd there a no way it can show my name and account number on the offer page... Anyone experience this? Any suggestion what should I do with that?
Contact Fido Chat support ad tell them the situation. They most likely tell you to send the SS to fax@fidomobile.ca and mention your mail id so that way they can confirm and apply the offer. You complain about the same to wireless guys cuase they have to set it up for you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5093 posts
1772 upvotes
BadJai wrote:
Sep 20th, 2019 9:26 pm
Invested around $38 into a decent screen protector and case for this tablet :)
It's a basic tablet, Youtube can only play video quality up to 720p and can be use as a nice Wifi hotspot Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Overall, best Fido XTRA offer of the year and Quiznos was the worse offer of the year :twisted:
Can you please provide details on the screen protector and case? Do you have a link to the item where you bought it?
Jun 19, 2019
558 posts
335 upvotes
"Centre of the …
BadJai wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2019 1:25 pm
Screen protector
Case
Fixed it for you. Decent case, bought an Otter Box but would have considered this.

Screen Protector.
Case.
Strange how some tablets have a shortage of case selections but not this Samsung
ʇɔɐ ʎɹɐuoıʇnloʌəɹ ɐ səɯoɔəq ɥʇnɹʇ əɥʇ buılləʇ 'ʇıəɔəp lɐsɹəʌıun ɟo səɯıʇ buıɹnp
13 Horror Films $20 or Free if you Don't Fall Asleep or Die of Fright! Sat Oct 26.TO.
Poutine Eating Championship Sat Oct 19 TO. Free Poutine Monster Bevs Kraft D.
Aug 8, 2011
4 posts
VERDUN
I was able to get this offer, I was offered the Samsung or Huawei T5. I went for the Huawei as it has a 10" screen.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1050 posts
121 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
jackiemon wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2019 1:58 pm
I was able to get this offer, I was offered the Samsung or Huawei T5. I went for the Huawei as it has a 10" screen.
I got the Huawei tablet as well, so far so good. And the best part is free LOL
Nov 26, 2011
50 posts
11 upvotes
ADAMS GULCH
Changed to 15gb plan, think they will count that as "changing" to break this?
Dec 27, 2007
18801 posts
9935 upvotes
Kitchener
Azunyan wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2019 6:32 pm
Changed to 15gb plan, think they will count that as "changing" to break this?
nope, you are fine.
Jul 15, 2003
672 posts
144 upvotes
pcboy wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2019 6:17 pm
I got the Huawei tablet as well, so far so good. And the best part is free LOL
I mentioned this in another thread, but other than size, one important thing to note is the Huawei Mediapad doesn't have a headphone jack. That might be a dealbreaker for those of you, so the Tab A might be a better choice (I'm wrong! Thanks aasoror). The Tab A also has 32GB of storage, while the Mediapad only has 16GB.

I picked the Huawei as well (haven't received it yet), but I'm thinking maybe I should have went with the Tab A instead.
Last edited by djray on Sep 23rd, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.