Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

[Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted) (Read Thread Summary) Expires 12/31

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 1:30 am
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
regarding eSIM, just think of it like you lose your normal sim card and you need to replace it. but instead of getting another physical sim card, you get an eSIM one. once the line is moved over to eSIM, the old sim card is de-activated and cant be used on other devices.
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$0 4GB eSIM data only plan
$1 voip backup line
Feb 1, 2018
355 posts
177 upvotes
You guys need to watch out this promotion... It is mentioned free for 24 months starting from 2nd or 3rd month, so you will have to pay the data fee for the first month. I usually pay $40 for my bill, but got charged a pro-rated data fee for the first month which they will not credit me back.
Feb 1, 2018
355 posts
177 upvotes
drinkwater wrote: WARNING FOR ALL FIDO SUBSCRIBERS WHO GOT THE PROMO $0 TABLET ON A FREE 2-YEAR 4GB TABLET PLAN

If you had a charge up front that was later to be credited, check if you indeed receive the credit.
I had to call and ask for it, as the system apparently was not set up to give it to me automatically.
If you forget and the system doesn't process it, the money stays in Fido's pocket.

Also, make sure that what they charged you up front for it is what they credit you. I got only a partial credit, as they said 'this is the way the system works' and it's because "any time a new line is established, there is proration from the time the line is established to end of cycle", The Fido rep insisted that I have to bear that cost.

From where I'm standing, a charge for something that was supposed to be $0 is pure theft, especially if it's done in such a sneaky way.
Beware. Check your bills and see if you got your entire credit back.

Fido must be making a killing on all subscribers who accepted the promo and never got the promised credit back, or only got a partial credit.

Offering something at $0, completely free of ANY charge, and then charging the cost of the plan before a next full cycle, however small the amount is, is FALSE ADVERTISING. I'm sure it's illegal and we need to voice it, not to mention to protect ourselves by calling in and demanding what is ours.

I called in, asked them to give me the credit manually. When the rep insisted that I had to pay the $13 of the pro-rated plan before first full month of the 24-month offer kicked in, I asked to speak with the manager. The manager offered me a freebie, and that is much better than nothing.
Welcome to Quebec? I got the same issue after spending over 40mins on the phone trying to explain the damn thing that when it is free, then even pro-rated they need to credit me back, but the agent keeps saying his system did it, so he cannot adjust anything... The reps even put me on hold and talked to his manager... At the end, they will not credit me back for the first month and the told me it is written in the promotion that only after the 2nd month and for 24months credit. At least you got a freebie... lol
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2019
1048 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
MockingJayTM wrote: You guys need to watch out this promotion... It is mentioned free for 24 months starting from 2nd or 3rd month, so you will have to pay the data fee for the first month. I usually pay $40 for my bill, but got charged a pro-rated data fee for the first month which they will not credit me back.
Yes, it's true.. the store rep also confirmed the two billing variations -
1. First two months billing charge and credits in third bill and then regular credit for next 22 months.
2. First two months billing charge and NO credits in third bill and then regular credit for next 24 months.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
trigger0 wrote: Yes, it's true.. the store rep also confirmed the two billing variations -
1. First two months billing charge and credits in third bill and then regular credit for next 22 months.
2. First two months billing charge and NO credits in third bill and then regular credit for next 24 months.
Don't accept 2, that is BS (and the same promo can't have two different billing variations that will end up with two different costs at the end of the promo term).
The credit for the first two months should appear on the third bill, that's what the promo verbatim says. So on the end of the term, you should have 2 months' worth of credit on your account, which can be used for months 25 and 26 if you feel like it or be issued a cheque for that sum if you decided to terminate the service by end of the term.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
MockingJayTM wrote: You guys need to watch out this promotion... It is mentioned free for 24 months starting from 2nd or 3rd month, so you will have to pay the data fee for the first month. I usually pay $40 for my bill, but got charged a pro-rated data fee for the first month which they will not credit me back.
Nope, that's the rep making up stuff, the credit appearing on the third bill is for the first month, any other interpretation would be a "bait and switch" scam. The offer is free 24 months of service not 26 months for the price of 2.
Nov 22, 2012
65 posts
19 upvotes
ST CATHARINES
I have $15/4GB data only plan (no voice line), I was later given 100% discount for 2 years. Have anyone been successful getting a tablet without adding new voice line? If so, how did you get it? I was told via chat it is not possible without adding new voice line.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
Hey guys,

I figured I would post some info about this as it's a fairly new change.

For some time Google has been in talks with the major four networks in the USA to bring out 'carrier compliant' rich texting/SMS/MMS services (known as RCS) seeking to replace the old standard of SMS text messaging. As 'everyone' knows, phone carriers put limits on SMS for no reason other than the fact that people want this (see this plan for example). Anyhow, talks broke down; So about a month ago, google just up and closed the door on negotiating for carriers to agree on some way to charge for it and released the standard without the requirement of carriers to be involved at all. As such this new 'SMS' feature is now available to all Android phones.

In order to activate it you must install Googles 'Messages' app (by default Samsung users have 'Samsung Messages' for SMS), and 'Carrier Services' app from google. Then open the settings on the app and activate rich messaging features. There are further option in 'advanced settings' to change the phone number registered (say if you are using a VOIP service with a phone number you use), and to disable, entirely, the ability to send messages via SMS/MMS so that if the other party doesn't have rich text enabled, it won't backlay onto SMS.

Anyhow, I figure a number of people out there have this sort of plan for their kids, so now, free texting (sort of), I know FB Messenger and stuff is popular, but this is still a handy option I think...
Jan 10, 2019
83 posts
69 upvotes
Wow! Such sneaky bastards. Spent over an hour in messenger app trying to get my bill straight (got 4th bill and still getting charged for data). And eventually got this response:
We looked everywhere and were not able to find the offer on our end.

In this situation, there would be 2 options available:

- Go back to the store were you activated the line and verify with them ;
- We would be able to offer you the 100% off discount, but only after the line has been active for 6 months.

If the 2nd option interests you, we would be able to apply the discount starting March 18th, 2020.
Looks like the guy at fido store just signed me up for a regular data contract and gave me a free T5 (which they usually do without any promo like this).

Has anyone went to CCTS regarding this promo? How everything works? How long does it take to resolve?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
TheDudeDude wrote: Looks like the guy at fido store just signed me up for a regular data contract
Do you have any screenshots of the fidoxtra offer or the SMS you got?
Regardless, I would go back to the store and raise hell.
Going CRTC won't do much unless you have a proof of what you were offered, if you do have it then go back to store and give them a chance to sort it out (that will be better for your CRTC complaint as it shows the carrier failed to resolve the issue).

Again as I mentioned in the thread summary, if you got a contract not showing the discounts you need to call Fido ASAP and make sure they can see the discounts on their backend, things are much easier to fix before the bills start coming.
Aug 24, 2019
22 posts
2 upvotes
Can anyone confirm me whether I can use the data right away after getting the tablet and sim? Ive seen some comments that free data charge applies after first month so does it mean Ill have to plug in the sim after 30days? I found this weird because this doesnt seem to be mentioned in the offer.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
Some of these comments are ridiculous.. complaining about paying 2 months of service at 10-15$ per month when they'll get 24 months of service for absolutely free afterwards... This shows the level of greed in humans.

your 20 or 30 bucks isn't worth 24 months of service. period.
Jan 10, 2019
83 posts
69 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Do you have any screenshots of the fidoxtra offer or the SMS you got?
Regardless, I would go back to the store and raise hell.
Going CRTC won't do much unless you have a proof of what you were offered, if you do have it then go back to store and give them a chance to sort it out (that will be better for your CRTC complaint as it shows the carrier failed to resolve the issue).

Again as I mentioned in the thread summary, if you got a contract not showing the discounts you need to call Fido ASAP and make sure they can see the discounts on their backend, things are much easier to fix before the bills start coming.
Yeah, I have the screenshot of the app.

I went to the same store and found the same guy who set me up few months ago. He wasn't surprised at all hearing that I keep getting charged. He said there were couple other people with the same problem already. He assured me that the deal stands and his manager will sort it out in upcoming few days.

We'll see.
Feb 1, 2018
355 posts
177 upvotes
teeeheee wrote: Can anyone confirm me whether I can use the data right away after getting the tablet and sim? Ive seen some comments that free data charge applies after first month so does it mean Ill have to plug in the sim after 30days? I found this weird because this doesnt seem to be mentioned in the offer.
It doesn't matter... I only start using my sim after 2 months and got billed for first month pro-rated (they credited me half only). It doesn't mention in the deal and that's the tricky part because when I called, the agent told me that the 24 months will start after the first or second month, so I will have to afford the data for the first and second month depending when they credit back my account (see my complaint above). So, at the end, I will have 24 months free with 25 or 26 months of service. Can I complaint? Well... They can argue that they did provide me 24 months of service for FREE and only charge me for 1-2 months.
kenze wrote: Some of these comments are ridiculous.. complaining about paying 2 months of service at 10-15$ per month when they'll get 24 months of service for absolutely free afterwards... This shows the level of greed in humans.

your 20 or 30 bucks isn't worth 24 months of service. period.
How ridiculous? It is a 2 years contract means you cannot go to another provider if you find a better deal. Cancelling and paying $300 for these tablet is non sense because it is overpriced. I got 24 months, but honestly, it has been my 3rd month and I am not even using the data. That sim is laying around... Yes, it is a waste. If there is a way to add this data into my current iPhone like eSim then it will be useful.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
MockingJayTM wrote: How ridiculous? It is a 2 years contract means you cannot go to another provider if you find a better deal. Cancelling and paying $300 for these tablet is non sense because it is overpriced. I got 24 months, but honestly, it has been my 3rd month and I am not even using the data. That sim is laying around... Yes, it is a waste. If there is a way to add this data into my current iPhone like eSim then it will be useful.
2 year contract for a free tablet and 4GB of data per month for 20-30$? Sign me up.

Why would you cancel if there's no monthly fee Einstein?
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11272 upvotes
MockingJayTM wrote: How ridiculous? It is a 2 years contract means you cannot go to another provider if you find a better deal. Cancelling and paying $300 for these tablet is non sense because it is overpriced. I got 24 months, but honestly, it has been my 3rd month and I am not even using the data. That sim is laying around... Yes, it is a waste. If there is a way to add this data into my current iPhone like eSim then it will be useful.
Umm, OK. You are COMPLAINING about a 24 month contract where you might pay $30 ONCE, get a free tablet, and then you get free data for 24 months, without paying a SINGLE additional cent. What EXACTLY is the problem here? You are tied to something FREE for 24 months.

Holy crap...
Sep 10, 2019
10 posts
16 upvotes
Just a tip, i know it says Free Galaxy tab A, but it isn't limited to just the Galaxy Tab A, you can also choose the free Huawei Mediapad T5 that has a better screen, or get the dirt cheap financing price for an iPad ($360) 7th gen WITH cellular connection, whereas normally you would need to pay for the tablet plan as well. Keep in mind you can choose the easypay financing over 24 months or just pay off the device balance of 360 plus tax immediately
Feb 1, 2018
355 posts
177 upvotes
repatch wrote: Umm, OK. You are COMPLAINING about a 24 month contract where you might pay $30 ONCE, get a free tablet, and then you get free data for 24 months, without paying a SINGLE additional cent. What EXACTLY is the problem here? You are tied to something FREE for 24 months.

Holy crap...
My complaint is I got attracted by a useless tablet which I don't use and even the data that I don't use. Think before you should accept any deal. Not because it is FREE is good. Nothing is free...
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
MockingJayTM wrote: .So, at the end, I will have 24 months free with 25 or 26 months of service.
That is not true, but if you would rather keep iterating the misinformation Fido rep told you then by all means.
Again, the promo is free service for 24 months not 26 months of service for price of 2. Any interpretation that doesn't include a credit for the first 2 months is an illegal bait and switch and won't stand a complaint with CRTC, don't let Fido's reps feed you BS, call them out and ask for your issue to be escalated, they simply can't interpret the promo on the fly. The credit you recieve on the third bill is for the first month, not the third month.
How ridiculous? It is a 2 years contract means you cannot go to another provider if you find a better deal.
The 2 years contract is for the free service, where are you going to find a better deal than that?
As for the requirement to keep the phone plan for 2 years along with the tablet plan that has been proven unenforceable under Fido's "current" T&C for the promo (not to mention people already reporting, in this very same thread, canceling their main phone lines and keeping only the free tablet lines with no repercussions whatsoever).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MockingJayTM wrote: My complaint is I got attracted by a useless tablet which I don't use
"Useless" my ass. Sell it on Kijiji for $100+.
even the data that I don't use
There's no one in your family or friends who needs 4GB/month of free data for the next couple of years? Either give them the SIM and hope they don't go over 4GB or see if Fido will do a transfer of responsibility from you to them.

The SIM is worth $10 x 24. So if you don't want to give it away you could sell it to someone for $100+.
Nothing is free...
This deal is much better than free. You can sell the tablet and make money. You can sell the SIM and make money. You could even end up making ~$10/month from this "useless" freebie for the next 2 years.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)