• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 4:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5766 posts
1207 upvotes

Fighting Games general topic

Since Street Fighter V has its own topic on this board, I figured I would have a different topic covering fighting games in general.

2017 Fighting game releases:

Injustice 2 - May 16th
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - May 26th
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 2 - May 27th (this game series has revised games releasing annually now)
Tekken 7 - June 2nd
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (really Marvel vs Capcom 4) - September 19th
Street Fighter V - ongoing balance changes and season 2 DLC characters

King of Fighters XIV released a DLC pack this year. 4 characters for $26. Vanessa, Rock Howard, Ryuji and Whip. (returning characters from the series)
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/ ... BUNDLE0000

Youtuber and game designer: SugarPunch Design Works explains how to make animations in games look fluid and pleasing to the eyes.

Despite Neverealm Studio's popularity, the animation major above explains why Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat, and other
Neverealm Studio fighting games have terrible animations. The video creator explains that the facial and animations during cinematics are extremely well done
but the ones during actual gameplay look odd, sloppy or downright awful:

source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... animations

Neverealm is the most popular fighting game studio currently and has the largest budgets at their disposal but constantly keep on making the same
design mistakes in every one of their fighting games.

45 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5766 posts
1207 upvotes
Digital Foundry plays Tekken 7's PS VR mode:

Running on a Regular PS4, Tekken 7 is 900p native resolution.
They were not able to play it on a PS4 Pro at the preview event they went to.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5766 posts
1207 upvotes
Injustice 2 is not out yet but the first DLC pack has been revealed:

Sub-Zero in a weird looking suit, Redhood, Starfire. I am not familiar with the later two.

I much prefer Mortal Kombat characters over DC Comics characters and rather have Mortal Kombat XI instead.
I think I will still get Injustice 2 but I probably will not end up keeping it long term.

Silhouettes image of the upcoming DLC characters for after Injustice 2 releases:
- One of them is obviously Rayden from Mortal Kombat.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4947 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 5:55 pm
Injustice 2 is not out yet but the first DLC pack has been revealed:
and this is why this genre is basically dead to me at this point despite being one of my favorites growing up. There are too many other good games in other genres for me to bother with incomplete barebones releases that cost full price with content that should be included locked behind a paywall. No thanks

2 recent fighting games I've enjoyed are MKX and EA UFC 2. MK XL was fun for about 15-20 hours at which point I felt I saw everything the game had to offer. It was worth the $10 I paid. EA UFC 2 was free and while it's a significantly worse game than Undisputed 3 I don't really care that much since it cost me nothing. It looks good and is fun to throw on a 2nd screen for some casual fun while I'm actually watching the events. Would've never considered paying full price for either game.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5766 posts
1207 upvotes
UFC2 is a Sports Simulation rather than a fighting game.
A lot of what happens in UFC2 is random like in real life (fights can end in 1 or 2 hits, no health bar system, etc).
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4947 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
sure it's still the closet thing to a fighting game I've actually enjoyed since USFIV but ya the idea of it costing $60-80 at launch is hilarious
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4947 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
Apparently I'm not the only one tired of bad nickel and diming releases in this genre. This Capcom wekened sale thread came up earlier today, I was considering giving it a chance again but more than half the comments are warnings against purchasing SFV. I fully agree with people in this thread and also find USFIV to still be the best game in the genre.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comm ... y_up_to_80
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5766 posts
1207 upvotes
Personally I do not like the aesthetic of Ultra Street Fighter IV (a lot of characters look like oafs)
and the heavy emphasis on Focus Attack Dash Cancelling is a mechanic I do not like.

It took Capcom 5 years to get from Street Fighter IV vanilla to Ultra Street Fighter IV.
In between there were 4 different versions of Street Fighter IV:

Street Fighter IV (released Feb 2009)
Super Street Fighter IV (April 2010)
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (Dec 2010) same year.
Ultra Street Fighter IV (June 2014). New stages were taken directly from Street Fighter X Tekken.

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1663 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 5th, 2017 6:03 pm
and this is why this genre is basically dead to me at this point despite being one of my favorites growing up. There are too many other good games in other genres for me to bother with incomplete barebones releases that cost full price with content that should be included locked behind a paywall. No thanks
I agree. It's bizarre that Injustice 2: Ultimate Edition is $130 - the version that gets you access to all nine DLC characters.

I think its because Capcom and WB know that dedicated fighting fans will shell out money for characters. One thing is that the price of these games do tank in value quickly.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1663 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
Only fighting game I will pick up this year is Ultra Street Fighter II for the Switch.

Even with the Amazon Prime discount the price is a little steep, but I am looking forward to having a game from this genre for the Switch.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4947 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 6th, 2017 1:58 pm
I agree. It's bizarre that Injustice 2: Ultimate Edition is $130 - the version that gets you access to all nine DLC characters.

I think its because Capcom and WB know that dedicated fighting fans will shell out money for characters. One thing is that the price of these games do tank in value quickly.
this release model has pretty much priced casual gamers out of this genre which is dumb because they used to make up a large part of the audience. It used to be that everyone loved games like SF and MK no matter how little time and effort they were willing to put into it. Now with these games costing well over $100 for the complete package, casual players skip over them entirely, and the genre's been reduced to this unappealing "competitive gamers only" thing that most people in 2017 don't have the time or money for.
They don't even fall in price that quickly. The complete edition including both character passes for SFV is still well over $100 and I'm not even sure that includes access to future character releases. That's an absurd amount of money for the lowest rated, lowest selling SF game in years if not ever.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5766 posts
1207 upvotes
Injustice 2 is a less popular fighting game franchise but I would expect it to sell around 3 to 5 million units since it is multiplatform.
Injustice 1 has lifetime sales of around 5 million units combined on all platforms and sequels tend to sell better than their predecessors.
It is one of those fighting games that is mechanically and character-tier unbalanced and probably will not be featured at professional fighting game tournaments after its first year.

Mortal Kombat X and XL sold over 7 million copies worldwide combined so far.
USA being where most of its sales occurred.
http://shoryuken.com/2015/08/06/mortal- ... es-charts/
http://fortune.com/2015/05/08/mortal-ko ... rner-bros/

MKX had more DLC content released than Street Fighter V has, plus NeverRealm Studios released 2 physical and digital versions of Mortal Kombat X in 2 years
(X in 2015 and XL in 2016).

ReeGee wrote:
May 8th, 2017 1:51 pm
this release model has pretty much priced casual gamers out of this genre which is dumb because they used to make up a large part of the audience. It used to be that everyone loved games like SF and MK no matter how little time and effort they were willing to put into it. Now with these games costing well over $100 for the complete package, casual players skip over them entirely, and the genre's been reduced to this unappealing "competitive gamers only" thing that most people in 2017 don't have the time or money for.
They don't even fall in price that quickly. The complete edition including both character passes for SFV is still well over $100 and I'm not even sure that includes access to future character releases. That's an absurd amount of money for the lowest rated, lowest selling SF game in years if not ever.
Street Fighter III was highly acclaimed but failed to break 1 million in sales on PS2 and Dreamcast combined.
All of the Street Fighter Alpha games, except one, did not break 1 million units sold either.

Street Fighter V at 1.7 million units sold is pretty good by comparison.

Super Smash Bros, and Mortal Kombat have far surpassed Street Fighter with the casual gaming audience and the sales reflect that.
Mortal Kombat 9, and MK9 Komplete Edition outsold all versions of Street Fighter IV, and Super Smash outsold both of them combined.

Super Smash on Wii U had over $70 USD worth of DLC characters and stages too.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5766 posts
1207 upvotes
parapudaw wrote:
May 16th, 2017 8:45 pm
So who's playing Injustice 2 now? How's the netcode so far? Amazon's pre-order as expected didn't deliver again. :(

From what I played of it, I much prefer NeverRealm's Mortal Kombat games over NeverRealm's Injustice ones.

Injustice 2 has an 88 metacritic average so far:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... e-2?ref=hp

Finding an online ranked or versus match in Injustice 2 takes a while. About 3 minutes to connect to another player which is slow compared to other fighting games.
Other than that the matches run smoothly. The character balance in this game seems to be fairly bad.

I do not really care for comic book characters however. In Marvel vs Capcom, I almost always play as the Capcom characters.
My only familiarity with of some of these characters are from the Christopher Nolan, original Spider-man (Sam Raimi) movie trilogy or
some of the Marvel movies.

Last edited by XFactor11 on May 16th, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3671 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm watching Injustice 2 on Twitch right now and it legit looks like an MKX reskin. :( Same janky kind of movements, characters have similar fighting styles to MKX characters and yeah its not really that fun or hype to watch. :/ And I HATE HATE HATE how this game has the restart menu where when one player is losing badly, instead of waiting for the round to finish, he simply hits the menu and starts the next round or game right away. That just totally kills any hype for this game and much like every other NRS game this one isn't going to have a long lifespan and it will be a crappy viewer experience for people if they're watching this game in a tournament like Evo.

Say what you want about SFV being a flawed game, but at least it can bring some hype when two good players go against each other and its actually fun to watch. NRS games are just boring as hell to watch 99% of the time as a viewer.

And also for anyone who's interested in fighting games and the community in general and you want to know what's going on in the FGC with new games or upcoming tournaments and other FGC related stuff, there's a weekly Tuesday show on Twitch that's great for all this stuff.

www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(