Automotive

Fighting Red Light Camera ticket (Hamilton)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2010 11:38 am
Tags:
None
Sr. Member
Apr 23, 2004
978 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Wife got this ticket
it was for $180, car is under my name so i decide to plead guilty with explanation to get it reduced, i get there another lady was there fighting same conviction, there was 2 judges at the time and we go in at same time
i walked in she asked me if i own my car i said yes and if i own my home i said yes she then tells me she is not reducing the charges but will give me 1 yr to pay it :mad:

i get out i spoke with the other lady that was waiting with me she tells me
that she got off it because she was on welfare.
so wtf? i was fuming i work hard and basically i consider my self as working poor and i cant get this damn cash grab of a ticket reduced?
just wanted to rant.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
6749 posts
3158 upvotes
Alberta
Pretty hard to get off or have your fine reduced when they have a few pictures of you.
Newbie
Sep 7, 2010
1 posts
Oakville
Okay this is what happened to me. I got one of these dam tickets in Hamilton at King and Dundurn and the reason I ran the red light or moved through it was there was a Fire Truck behind me with lights on coming my way. In the next lane to my right behind me was the fire captain also responding to something and to my left going through the intersection ahead of me is another fire truck. So I went through the red light to get away from the Fire Truck behind me and was pulling to the right to pull over as by law which is also clearly visable in the photo. If there is a Fire truck coming behind you with lights going and siren its a life and death situation you need to pull to the right and get out of the way imediately regardless of there being a red light camera there or not its the law. So thats my story and it did happen to me just that way. You can clearly see the Firetruck in the picture ahead of me but you cant see the one behind me obviosly. This sucks do the right thing and get a 325 dollar ticket because of some electronic BS system.

Dead Tired
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 23, 2005
5978 posts
147 upvotes
gstylez wrote: Wife got this ticket
it was for $180, car is under my name so i decide to plead guilty with explanation to get it reduced, i get there another lady was there fighting same conviction, there was 2 judges at the time and we go in at same time
i walked in she asked me if i own my car i said yes and if i own my home i said yes she then tells me she is not reducing the charges but will give me 1 yr to pay it :mad:

i get out i spoke with the other lady that was waiting with me she tells me
that she got off it because she was on welfare.
so wtf? i was fuming i work hard and basically i consider my self as working poor and i cant get this damn cash grab of a ticket reduced?
just wanted to rant.

yea.. went to court a few months ago to reopen my case, it was hilarious, a lot of the people there are on welfare and all of them got tickets ranging from speeding over 30+, driving without insurance, careless driving etc... and almost all of them have no more dermerit points left to drive. yet judge are willing to reduce fines from thousands to hundreds, 3 points to 0 points etc. etc, just because they are on welfare/claim they are poor/need car to go to work, and they did nothing to prove what they were saying was true

in one case, as soon as they got off their hefty fine, they get out of the court acting all that and say how he owned the court... :facepalm:
images are not permitted in sigs
Newbie
Sep 4, 2008
19 posts
toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL are you joking? It's a regulatory offence with no demerit points (because the driver is not identified). So first off it has no bearing on your license. 2nd of all any regulatory offence can be reduced to as little as $0. Yes zero dollars.

All you need to do is have an understanding/sympathetic JP and then tell them a sob story, LOL. Because there's no demerit points you can end up with a "conviction" but with no penalty at all, LOL.

so you are saying that if i pay 325 dollars fine (toronto) it will not appear on my record. but if i want to get it reduced by going to the court office, it will stay on my record which may effect the insurance?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
alwaysalone wrote: so you are saying that if i pay 325 dollars fine (toronto) it will not appear on my record. but if i want to get it reduced by going to the court office, it will stay on my record which may effect the insurance?

If you are convicted, your insurance will go up. This sounds contradicting.

I'm surprised by seeing all these people running red lights, and complain about red light camera. You have ample time to prepare NOT to run through red lights on these intersections.

For christ's sake, stop complaining about getting the ticket and consider it a lesson learned. I wish they had red light camera on every intersection in Toronto. Toronto is one of the worst city when it comes to driving.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
fahadmalik wrote: Dude i got a ticket of 325$ from that same intersection and man am I pissed. The problem with that light is that in the morning when you are driving towards the south common mall, the sunlight gets in your eyes and you can barely see the lights. By the time I saw it, it was too late to stop so I sped up to clear to the way instead but I guess my gear shifting caused a delay of about 0.6s after the light turned red. But still 325$ is ridiculously high...I'm a broke-ass student with no money AND OUT OF OSAP MONEY AS WELL! Can I say I have a clean record and reduce the ticket or something?
When I were a student I couldn't afford a car.

Consider yourself lucky. If you got involved in an accident by running red, what are you going to tell them? You couldn't see the lights because of the sunlight? If you think the situation is not safe for driving, you should take correct actions, like pulling over first. Entering intersection without seeing the traffic light is very dangerous.
Newbie
Sep 4, 2008
19 posts
toronto
conix67 wrote: If you are convicted, your insurance will go up. This sounds contradicting.

I'm surprised by seeing all these people running red lights, and complain about red light camera. You have ample time to prepare NOT to run through red lights on these intersections.

For christ's sake, stop complaining about getting the ticket and consider it a lesson learned. I wish they had red light camera on every intersection in Toronto. Toronto is one of the worst city when it comes to driving.


umm i am sorry but didnt really answer my question..

and when did i complain? lol.. i did make a mistake and i feel sorry for it. but i only did it cause i felt it was safe to do so. I was determined to make a turn in yellow, but another car was taking right turn so i couldnt make it on time. Regardless, I am not complaining. It is a lesson and I will be more careful next time.

But for now I need to know if I go and plea of guilt to reduce my fine will i be a convict or not.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
alwaysalone wrote: umm i am sorry but didnt really answer my question..

and when did i complain? lol.. i did make a mistake and i feel sorry for it. but i only did it cause i felt it was safe to do so. I was determined to make a turn in yellow, but another car was taking right turn so i couldnt make it on time. Regardless, I am not complaining. It is a lesson and I will be more careful next time.

But for now I need to know if I go and plea of guilt to reduce my fine will i be a convict or not.
This is not your thread, I think you got your thread mixed up with this. My comments except the first line is about this thread.
Newbie
Sep 4, 2008
19 posts
toronto
conix67 wrote: This is not your thread, I think you got your thread mixed up with this. My comments except the first line is about this thread.

lol oh i thought u were saying me. sorry about that.
Sr. Member
Sep 29, 2007
545 posts
136 upvotes
Port Colborne
Why were you in the intersection during a red light?
Newbie
Dec 12, 2007
6 posts
1 upvote
Hey,

Just go this ticket. I'm glad that I don't get the demerit points, but $325 is steep. I know if I go to court I hope to plead guilty and get the ticket reduced to $260. I really had no excuse.

Does anyone with experience with this know if this is placed on my record? Would they add the 3 demerit points if I'm found guilty in court?

I'm rationing just paying the ticket as I'd expect the insurance rate to go up for the next 3 years if it gets put on my record!

Thanks for your input.
Newbie
Sep 4, 2008
19 posts
toronto
aseeto wrote: Hey,

Just go this ticket. I'm glad that I don't get the demerit points, but $325 is steep. I know if I go to court I hope to plead guilty and get the ticket reduced to $260. I really had no excuse.

Does anyone with experience with this know if this is placed on my record? Would they add the 3 demerit points if I'm found guilty in court?

I'm rationing just paying the ticket as I'd expect the insurance rate to go up for the next 3 years if it gets put on my record!

Thanks for your input.


hey I am facing the same problem. And I just found out this link:

http://www.toronto.ca/court_services/services.htm

So technically I think if you go to the court, they do put something on your record. You will need a lawyer to remove it or request the judge to remove it for you. This whole thing is a mass.

I therefore decided to pay the whole amount and get away from this whole issue.

Top