• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 6, 2013
472 posts
29 upvotes
WATERLOO
Got a red light ticket due to icy conditions. Hot breaks when light turned yellow and continued to slide through intersection. Should have just accelaerated through as I knew I would slide.
Is it worth fighting explaining the icy conditions? From reading it seems just going to court is a good chance to reduce ticket?
Mar 14, 2011
155 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
I may have ran a red light during the recent snow storms where I couldn't see the number on the pedestrian cross walk due to trees and because I felt stopping would be too dangerous or I would end up in the intersection anyways. I was going about 30km in a 50 zone, once I did see the yellow, I made a quick judgment call to speed up to try and avoid the relatively new red light camera.

Should I get a ticket for it, can I argue bad weather and poor visibility prevented a safe stop.
Dec 25, 2006
216 posts
103 upvotes
Winnipeg
This may be a bit harsh but....

You were driving fast enough in bad weather that you wouldn't be able to stop for a red light so you ACCELERATED into the intersection?
Pay the ticket, learn from your poor choices.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
You saw the flash? It's quite bright even in daylight.
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:28 pm
I may have ran a red light during the recent snow storms where I couldn't see the number on the pedestrian cross walk due to trees and because I felt stopping would be too dangerous or I would end up in the intersection anyways. I was going about 30km in a 50 zone, once I did see the yellow, I made a quick judgment call to speed up to try and avoid the relatively new red light camera.

Should I get a ticket for it, can I argue bad weather and poor visibility prevented a safe stop.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 14, 2011
155 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
I didn't know 30km/h in a 50km/h zone is fast in bad weather.... I accelerated because I just remembered there was a red light there because its new for 2017, I didn't want to get a ticket lol.

I was driving safe, no cars ahead of me. Breaking would have resulted in me in the intersection which I feel would be unsafe. I don't think it was a poor choice considering the circumstances.
Mar 14, 2011
155 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Honestly, the conditions were bad, not a whiteout but pretty close to it during when I was driving so I couldn't really see. I wouldn't even worry about the flash since I was concentrated on making sure there wasn't someone trying to make a left turn or right turn (I was in the right lane).
Feb 9, 2013
938 posts
488 upvotes
Ottawa
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 11:42 pm
Honestly, the conditions were bad, not a whiteout but pretty close to it during when I was driving so I couldn't really see. I wouldn't even worry about the flash since I was concentrated on making sure there wasn't someone trying to make a left turn or right turn (I was in the right lane).
Relax, if there was a flash you would've noticed it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9245 posts
1816 upvotes
Toronto
Weather conditions can't be blamed for tickets or accidents. You also shouldn't be using the pedestrian countdown to judge lights (despite many doing this).

Pay the ticket and be more aware going forward.

Also, there's a thread for this here:

fighting-red-light-camera-ticket-ontario-1157799/
Last edited by Swerny on Feb 16th, 2017 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4247 posts
2591 upvotes
North York
I got a flash in Hamilton like 4-5 years ago. Same with a friend of mine - in Hamilton in the same Winter month as well.
Not sure what happened there, but neither of us has ever received anything, still able to renew plate stickers. We got lucky I assumed.
Dec 25, 2006
216 posts
103 upvotes
Winnipeg
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 11:40 pm
I didn't know 30km/h in a 50km/h zone is fast in bad weather.... I accelerated because I just remembered there was a red light there because its new for 2017, I didn't want to get a ticket lol.

I was driving safe, no cars ahead of me. Breaking would have resulted in me in the intersection which I feel would be unsafe. I don't think it was a poor choice considering the circumstances.
It's too fast because you weren't able to stop for a light, plain and simple. How fast you were going compared to the limit has nothing to do with it.
Second, EXTREMELY poor choice to ACCELERATE into an intersection with a light changing.
Once again, review your driving choices and learn from your mistakes.
Feb 4, 2011
147 posts
28 upvotes
Kingston, ON
You guys are pricks. 20/20 hindsight.

As an individual, I would say OP made a decision that was understandable. To fight it legally? They will probably argue what people are saying here and that you were driving too fast if you couldn't stop.
Nov 18, 2015
558 posts
354 upvotes
Unionville, ON
I fought off the ticket using this argument (but only in bad weather condition)...

The road was icy (not plowed properly), and there was a car behind you that was tailgating and for safety reason, the best course of action was for you to go through the yellow/red light or else the car behind might've rear ended you..
Jan 20, 2004
645 posts
91 upvotes
TLDR : Yellow means accelerate (in bad weather)!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19078 posts
2660 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op shouldn't be watching the countdown on the pedestrian light. He should be focus on the road.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.