None
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2972 posts
1643 upvotes
GTA
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:28 pm
I may have ran a red light during the recent snow storms where I couldn't see the number on the pedestrian cross walk due to trees and because I felt stopping would be too dangerous or I would end up in the intersection anyways. I was going about 30km in a 50 zone, once I did see the yellow, I made a quick judgment call to speed up to try and avoid the relatively new red light camera.

Should I get a ticket for it, can I argue bad weather and poor visibility prevented a safe stop.
It sounds like you haven't received a ticket yet. If the weather was that bad then the camera probably couldn't see your plates through the snow.
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Driving isn't always cut and dry. A good driver makes choices based on the situation. For those who say you should not be paying attention to the pedestrian light, I say that's ridiculous. A logical driver will notice the number and adjust speed to stop or continue. It's not like I was staring at the numbers, I was trying to glance at it so I could stop safely. Considering the weather and tree coverage, it just wasn't possible at the time. A good driver doesn't just look ahead, I was looking at my mirrors to keep track of traffic behind as well.

I do not regret one bit the decision I made. I made the decision for my safety and the safety of other drivers. I was driving slow enough to ha e control of the vehicle, but should I have tried to brake in order to stop for the light I could have lost traction.

For those that question my decision to speed up, I only sped up 5km, 10 AT MOST, and I still had traction. Choosing to speed up a bit to not have to deal with a $300+ dollar ticket while maintaining traction is not an issue for me considering if I had braked I could have lost control or ended up in the intersection.

My question wasn't whether or not my decision was right or wrong, RFDers tends to make judgements on people actions when their own knowledge is limited.

Thank you for those that pointed the thread about fighting red light tickets. I should have looked better, my apologies.

Disregard spelling and grammar, on my phone at work.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6874 posts
928 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 10:54 am
Op shouldn't be watching the countdown on the pedestrian light. He should be focus on the road.
Agree. Stop watching the count down timer and look straight. They are for pedestrians not drivers.
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 12:30 pm
Driving isn't always cut and dry. A good driver makes choices based on the situation. For those who say you should not be paying attention to the pedestrian light, I say that's ridiculous. A logical driver will notice the number and adjust speed to stop or continue. It's not like I was staring at the numbers, I was trying to glance at it so I could stop safely. Considering the weather and tree coverage, it just wasn't possible at the time. A good driver doesn't just look ahead, I was looking at my mirrors to keep track of traffic behind as well.
Incorrect, a good driver should know how to brake properly and know the their braking distance. There are many intersections in the GTA that revert back to "walk signal" when the timer is done and in some cases, the walk signal stop counting and the light hasn't changed yet. Entering an intersection @ amber is ok, and will not result in a red light ticket. However, if you can't judge your braking distance you need help.
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
I can brake fine without pedestrian numbers. Using it to be better prepared is not an issue.

I'm not going to argue how you should and should not drive. There's more than one way to be prepared and attentive when driving.

Thanks for all the people answering the question instead of trying to be driving instructors and examiners.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4415 posts
1018 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 12:30 pm
Driving isn't always cut and dry. A good driver makes choices based on the situation...

I do not regret one bit the decision I made. I made the decision for my safety and the safety of other drivers. I was driving slow enough to ha e control of the vehicle, but should I have tried to brake in order to stop for the light I could have lost traction.
Proudly enjoy the fruits of your driving prowess then, instead of asking how to get out of a ticket !!!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1661 posts
664 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If it wasn't safe to stop for the light, then it wasn't safe to accelerate through the light. The camera records your speed before the interesection when when you're in the intersection. The cop that reviews the pictures will see you sped up and will probably issue the ticket, whereas, had you not sped up the cop may have thought that you were being reasonable by proceeding at your original speed - and it would have given you more credence that it wasn't safe to stop. My two cents.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1140 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:28 pm
I may have ran a red light during the recent snow storms where I couldn't see the number on the pedestrian cross walk due to trees and because I felt stopping would be too dangerous or I would end up in the intersection anyways. I was going about 30km in a 50 zone, once I did see the yellow, I made a quick judgment call to speed up to try and avoid the relatively new red light camera.

Should I get a ticket for it, can I argue bad weather and poor visibility prevented a safe stop.
If you meant whether bad weather is a valid argument in court, then the answer is unfortunately no.

I do understand your logic. It is often way more dangerous to drive too slow in weather like this. In a vacuum yes you should drive slow enough to stop in time, but we don't live in a perfect world with perfect drivers around us. The reality is that, regardless of the red light camera, it is safer to drive at the same speed as other drivers around you. Going 30km/h in a 50km/h is pretty slow already.
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
I was in the right lane, there was a car in front of me, and just before we got to the intersection he switched lanes opening the lane up for me.

This is what upsets me about RFD, everyone is a perfect driver on the internet and don't remember that driving is not the same every time you get behind the wheels. I could have said I was doing mirror checks, ensuring vehicles weren't crossing lanes due to the visibility, or made up a bunch of other nonsense to make the situation seem better for me.

A vehicle is a weapon in my eyes, and using any tool to be prepared in advance is good in my books. There are so many tiny factors that can lead to an collision and some RFDers are apparently immune to mistakes.

rant over, anyways thanks for answering the question.
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes I do. But I I was too close to the intersection to make a safe stop as I have mentioned already. I know the breaking limit of my vehicle in snow.
Dec 25, 2006
181 posts
83 upvotes
Winnipeg
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 12:44 am
This is what upsets me about RFD, everyone is a perfect driver on the internet and don't remember that driving is not the same every time you get behind the wheels. I could have said I was doing mirror checks, ensuring vehicles weren't crossing lanes due to the visibility, or made up a bunch of other nonsense to make the situation seem better for me.
What upsets me about RFD is people coming on here after breaking some sort of law/traffic rule and asking how to get out of a ticket that was fully, rightly deserved....
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Right because some laws cannot be broken for safety reasons. If you actually read my first post, I asked a question. Was not how can I get out of the ticket, was can I argue a specific scenario.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4415 posts
1018 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
stephan001 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 9:13 am
Was not how can I get out of the ticket, was can I argue a specific scenario.
I'm not seeing a difference from what the guy claimed you did here.
Are you saying you're going to argue then plead guilty as you did break the law ?
Make sure to tell them you were the person driving when explaining so they can add demerit points to the ticket as right now you're not being dinged for that and it's a cash ticket only.
Jun 24, 2013
457 posts
919 upvotes
Mississauga
My husband got a ticket, and he went to so he can pay less and they said he will pay 260 and not 325, then today got a letter for paying 325 and I called so they said there are fees and victim fine surcharge, so what is the point of going to ministry? can someone pls explain??
Oct 31, 2014
80 posts
2 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
hennamomin wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 1:20 pm
My husband got a ticket, and he went to so he can pay less and they said he will pay 260 and not 325, then today got a letter for paying 325 and I called so they said there are fees and victim fine surcharge, so what is the point of going to ministry? can someone pls explain??
Any updates since then? It's supposed to be a prosecutor before you see a JP, the prosecutor would just offer you a good deal (50% off or more from what I read in this 12 pages thread). Then you plead guilty in the court.... What's your story?