Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13865 posts
4423 upvotes
Raps1331 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:30 pm
So I'm probably gonna get a ticket for running a red light because I saw a light flash after I passed through the intersection. So I was wondering if the following reasoning could be used in court for trying to fight the ticket. I was going 50km/hr in a 60 zone and as I am getting to the intersection I see that there is a hand sign on the cross walk, but no timer to let me know when it is turning yellow. I started to increase my speed to prevent me running the red light, but when the yellow light came up it barely lasted, probably 2 seconds, it was super quick. The reason I felt it was quick is because I've gone through this intersection atleast 2 hundred times for work so I kinda of know how long the light would last. When it did turn yellow I had no choice but to continue to accelerating because if I had stopped I would have came to a screeching stop in the middle of intersection. The reason why it took so long for me to accelerate to 60km/hr is that my muffler has to be replace which makes it a bit harder to reach the speed not to mention my brakes aren't the greatest especially for a situation like this which I have to react so quick. I could be doing this all for nothing b/c this happened like an hr ago and I could be tripping, but rather safe than sorry. Any other help would be appreciated thanks
Why do you think this is a valid excuse when hundreds, if not thousands, of other drivers are able to successfully navigate this light every day?

If your car is unsafe for the road, do not drive it. That's very ignorant and selfish of you to endanger everyone else on the road because you cannot afford to fix your vehicle.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
4979 posts
533 upvotes
Raps1331 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:30 pm
So I'm probably gonna get a ticket for running a red light because I saw a light flash after I passed through the intersection. So I was wondering if the following reasoning could be used in court for trying to fight the ticket. I was going 50km/hr in a 60 zone and as I am getting to the intersection I see that there is a hand sign on the cross walk, but no timer to let me know when it is turning yellow. I started to increase my speed to prevent me running the red light, but when the yellow light came up it barely lasted, probably 2 seconds, it was super quick. The reason I felt it was quick is because I've gone through this intersection atleast 2 hundred times for work so I kinda of know how long the light would last. When it did turn yellow I had no choice but to continue to accelerating because if I had stopped I would have came to a screeching stop in the middle of intersection. The reason why it took so long for me to accelerate to 60km/hr is that my muffler has to be replace which makes it a bit harder to reach the speed not to mention my brakes aren't the greatest especially for a situation like this which I have to react so quick. I could be doing this all for nothing b/c this happened like an hr ago and I could be tripping, but rather safe than sorry. Any other help would be appreciated thanks
Red light cameras only go off if you ENTER the intersection after the light has gone full red. If you were even partially in it, it wouldn't have popped.

That means you couldn't make stop at 50km/h for a normally timed light.

Also, please go to court and tell them you ran the red because your brakes aren't good enough. When the are done laughing I hope they somehow tag your car as unfit for the road too.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4581 posts
1150 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
Boys, obvious troll is obvious....don't feed him !!!
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6416 posts
2757 upvotes
Markham
Guys guys... red light camera tickets are... just cash. There're no other repercussions. Just pay em, and forget them. What exactly are you going to argue? That the picture of your car running a red is wrong? Not only does the camera capture running reds, it also gets reviewed before any charges.

Your insurance doesn't care about it, so just pay it.
Oct 26, 2009
616 posts
68 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:08 pm
Guys guys... red light camera tickets are... just cash. There're no other repercussions. Just pay em, and forget them. What exactly are you going to argue? That the picture of your car running a red is wrong? Not only does the camera capture running reds, it also gets reviewed before any charges.

Source?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3570 posts
2220 upvotes
GTA
lordnikon wrote:
May 24th, 2017 5:36 pm
Source?
The infraction isn't against the driver because they don't know who was driving. It's just a fee to the owner of the car.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5445 posts
686 upvotes
Mississauga
Anikiri wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:08 pm

I hate red light camera`s and photo radar but the amount of people that run red lights in Mississauga is crazy. And its not just the excuse I'm in the intersection so had to run the light its the light is red and they speed up to get to the intersection long after the light changed.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1111 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ok so got the picture of my beautiful car's derrier with 325 Canadian dollars bill
Whats the conclusion of the thread ?
1) can going to court might put a record on your file even if you get the fine reduced
2) never went to court etc. It takes half day i guess? Can my wife go with that letter? She does not work but she does not drive either
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1111 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 26th, 2017 11:32 pm
I would say your probability of winning is close to zero. Not only does the camera take 3 pictures, but your speed is also recorded with each pic. Judges have very little patience when you combine driving thru a red light with speeding. As always, your mileage may vary (pun intended) :)
That answers none of the 2 questions i asked but thx anyways
I dont intend to contest to win but want to contest so that the fine can be reduced but i would only do so if going to court does not put a record on my file.
My speed was 55
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1111 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jimbobs wrote:
Jun 28th, 2016 11:16 pm
This is a Toronto case, right? If so, there will be no reduction in fine if found guilty by pleading guilty, or guilty with explanation. Some JP's actually announce this before each session and, despite that, people still plead guilty, ask for a reduction and get turned down.
Does that mean pleading guilty does not gurantee fine reduction. Then how come so many people report that they pled guilty and fine was reduced.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6190 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
CocoJambo wrote:
May 27th, 2017 12:38 am
Does that mean pleading guilty does not gurantee fine reduction. Then how come so many people report that they pled guilty and fine was reduced.
A few years ago, the City changed it's approach to certain types of offences and JP's were not allowed to reduce the fine for those offences. Other offences were still open to fine reductions. Recently, I heard that the situation has changed again but am unsure as to the scope of the change. Anyway, the point is never to plead guilty - if you want to fight a charge: plead not guilty and use the same arguments and, if found guilty, the worst case is that you will have to pay the full fine. Best case, you will be found not guilty.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1111 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pleading not guilty in my case red light camera, will not make any sense as they git pictures.
Only thing i can do.is go and plead guilty , may be they will reduce fine but i am afraid if i go to court they will put the conviction on my record.
Another matter is going to court might take half a day . Not sure if it is worth the hassel
Nov 11, 2007
21 posts
So this evening i was driving into a major intersection and was going to be making a right hand turn. The right turn lane had a green arrow up and just as i was right at the line the arrow disappeared with no warning. I could not stop in time without going well past the line since the light had been green i was driving like i would to go through it. The light for the lane going east and west turned yellow at the same time which i observed after going back to see if my eyes had just missed the yellow signal for my turn light. Will i end up with a ticket from the camera for this?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12313 posts
1270 upvotes
Toronto
myles24 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 9:08 pm
So this evening i was driving into a major intersection and was going to be making a right hand turn. The right turn lane had a green arrow up and just as i was right at the line the arrow disappeared with no warning. I could not stop in time without going well past the line since the light had been green i was driving like i would to go through it. The light for the lane going east and west turned yellow at the same time which i observed after going back to see if my eyes had just missed the yellow signal for my turn light. Will i end up with a ticket from the camera for this?
If you were turning at a rate above 20 kmph then most likely yes. The sensors are speed sensitive.
Dec 3, 2013
582 posts
213 upvotes
Brampton/waterloo
So today I went through a red light camera, I saw the counter on the side and knew ill make it based on my speed which was at the limit, and I go through the intersection everyday. However the person infront of me decided to try to slow down but then go through, I also went through but right before it was still yellow, but my friend saw the camera flash, so it was probably less than a second. I could have hit my brakes hard would have stopped but there was a person behind me and I didn't wanna risk hitting the brakes too hard. Do they consider the time it passed? like if I was 1-2s into the red, then its my fault and ill pay it, but if its less than 1s I don't think its fair because judgement comes into play and if I stopped hard I was at a higher risk of being rear ended.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)