• Dec 11th, 2017 12:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6567 posts
377 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How long does it take usually for you to get a red light ticket after the incident has happened? I recall turning right at an intersection at about 11 pm at night about couple months ago and saw a flash behind me and thought for sure I would get a ticket in the mail. But to date, still no ticket in mail so crossing my fingers that what they saw was just a red light right hand turn while the intersecting traffic light was turning yellow.

Any way I can check to see if there are outstanding tickets against me?
Nov 3, 2005
6 posts
3 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:51 pm
How long does it take usually for you to get a red light ticket after the incident has happened? I recall turning right at an intersection at about 11 pm at night about couple months ago and saw a flash behind me and thought for sure I would get a ticket in the mail. But to date, still no ticket in mail so crossing my fingers that what they saw was just a red light right hand turn while the intersecting traffic light was turning yellow.

Well, I just got a notice in the mail today, August 3, and it was for my very first red light camera offence on July 24, a week and a half ago. So, I think you are in the clear!
Jul 22, 2009
689 posts
142 upvotes
Brampton
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:51 pm
as far as i know you do not get red light camera tickets if turning right or left

Feb 13, 2007
1 posts
1 upvote
Received one of these in Ottawa area, was 1.2 sec. and speed was on ticket, 71 KM in a 60 (I believe)...landed at courthouse just before 9 AM, there were only a few ppl ahead of me and JP was already seeing ppl, I was out of there by 9:20 with a reduction from $325 to $220, tool less than 1 minute with JP. Asked if I had anything to say, I simply said I was driving, wasn't paying attention for a moment and ran the light. I also said the ticket would cause me financial hardship and she instantly lowered it to $180 + fees...quite worth the 40 min in total it took me...don't hesitate, just take option 2 and save yourself $105, a little happiness in an otherwise dreadful experience! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4966 posts
272 upvotes
Ottawa
stephen59 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:39 am
Received one of these in Ottawa area, was 1.2 sec. and speed was on ticket, 71 KM in a 60 (I believe)...landed at courthouse just before 9 AM, there were only a few ppl ahead of me and JP was already seeing ppl, I was out of there by 9:20 with a reduction from $325 to $220, tool less than 1 minute with JP. Asked if I had anything to say, I simply said I was driving, wasn't paying attention for a moment and ran the light. I also said the ticket would cause me financial hardship and she instantly lowered it to $180 + fees...quite worth the 40 min in total it took me...don't hesitate, just take option 2 and save yourself $105, a little happiness in an otherwise dreadful experience! :)
Thanks, I'd like to explain my "story" too, so option 2 is better? I want to say I'm guilty but the weather was rainy(visible in pics too) and I chose not to slam on my brakes to avoid slipping, so I drove through. Speed shows 64km/h, but I believe it was a 50km/h zone. Mine says "0.2 seconds and that vehicle proceeded through the intersection when the light had been red for 1s."
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4966 posts
272 upvotes
Ottawa
Update: I went to the Ottawa Main Office, arrived at 9AM. 5 people were already registered and waiting, I got called in at 9:20AM. JP read the charge and then asked what can I do for ya. I said I'd like a reduced charge since it's tough for me. She asked me what do I do(SW), so I thought I was screwed, but she still reduced it to $160(Fine) +$35(Victim Surcharge Fee) + $5(Costs) = $200. I don't know if there's tax on top of this. I asked to repay in 3 months. Was back on the road @ 9:30AM.

There's free visitor parking, so aim to get there by 9 since it was full after I parked.

I also don't think my charge is connected to my driving abstract because I was never asked for my DL, so I think they just mail out the ticket based on the lic plate and then don't associate with the driver.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5274 posts
794 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 11:11 am
Thanks, I'd like to explain my "story" too, so option 2 is better? I want to say I'm guilty but the weather was rainy(visible in pics too) and I chose not to slam on my brakes to avoid slipping, so I drove through. Speed shows 64km/h, but I believe it was a 50km/h zone. Mine says "0.2 seconds and that vehicle proceeded through the intersection when the light had been red for 1s."
How is the weather ever an excuse? You need to drive at the speed that will allow you to be in full control of your car and that includes safely stopping. You are claiming the weather was too poor for you to make a regular stop but you were also driving 30% over the posted limit...

What if there was another car in front of you that stopped at the amber or a pedestrian?