Page 1 of 1

Which file system for Win7 on SSD?

Posted: Oct 2nd, 2009 9:39 am
by torseller07
Hi guys, just curious what is everyone's opinion on Win7 file system on SSD. I read exFAT is better than NTFS for Win7 on SSD since the former file system is designed for flash memory, is this true? Would there be incompatibility issues (aside from Linux possibly unable to mount a proprietary file system)?

Re: Which file system for Win7 on SSD?

Posted: Oct 2nd, 2009 9:51 am
by Silver Bullet
I see no reason not to use standard NTFS for a Windows 7 install.

Posted: Oct 2nd, 2009 10:20 am
by JAC
Hey, thanks for making me look this up. I just changed my ReadyBoost drive from NTFS to exFAT.

A quick search does indeed show FAT32/exFAT to be much quicker than NTFS on USB drives. But this thread seems to show that this is not the case with SSD.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... hp?t=52726

You also need to consider that exFAT won't have the security that NTFS does.

Posted: Oct 3rd, 2009 11:28 am
by torseller07
Some results from the thread cited above. Looks to me for SSD, exFAT is faster for small reads / writes whereas NTFS excels in large reads/writes. Someone did comment though exFAT isn't meant for boot drive. So it's kind of a mixed bag on SSD performance wise. Microsoft seems to endorse exFAT for SSD though.

Posted: Oct 8th, 2009 10:13 am
by mfrania
I thought I'd post my question here (related, I think) instead of starting a new thread: what's the most recommended SSD drive to use with Windows 7 right now? I know Intel drives are rated high but I'm looking to spend around $250 for a ~60GB drive.

Posted: Oct 8th, 2009 10:18 am
by DJ Dennis
OCZ has released their new drive a while back and it's a bit cheaper than Intel's. I think it was called Vortex-(something)?

Posted: Oct 8th, 2009 10:27 am
by Silver Bullet
Intel 80GB (G2 Version) - $259 - $314 (very hard to find at a good price)
OCZ Vertex 60/120GB - ~$230 (very nice drive, fast)

IMO these are really the only two drives to go after. OCZ has been quick with good firmware updates and Intel .. well they're just darn good drives.

Intel & OCZ have said they will have TRIM updates for their drives for Windows 7. OCZ is currently uses a drive based garbage collection algorithm to keep the drive at it's fastest. Intel drives don't seem to be too effect when in a 'used' state.

Posted: Oct 8th, 2009 10:37 am
by mfrania
DJ Dennis wrote: OCZ has released their new drive a while back and it's a bit cheaper than Intel's. I think it was called Vortex-(something)?
Silver Bullet wrote: OCZ Vertex 60/120GB - ~$230 (very nice drive, fast)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6820227394

Is this the one? Thanks for your replies, BTW.

Posted: Oct 8th, 2009 11:28 am
by CalgaryRunner
Yes, that's the one. I have one of those in a Win7 system and it works great. :)

Posted: Oct 8th, 2009 11:36 am
by mfrania
CalgaryRunner wrote: Yes, that's the one. I have one of those in a Win7 system and it works great. :)
Cool. Time to wait for a sale now ;) .

Posted: Oct 16th, 2009 10:13 am
by mfrania
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6820227394

Is there a specific revision I should be looking for when buying one of these? Thanks.

Posted: Oct 16th, 2009 12:09 pm
by Silver Bullet
No new revs of the OCZ Drives, just waiting on firmware that adds TRIM for win7, till then you might want to wait. I have my Intel drive but I'm not going to use it I get TRIM firmware.

Posted: Oct 16th, 2009 12:29 pm
by torseller07
I got the OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD from newegg.ca sales last month (was $227 shipped before USD 30 MIR). I don't have the chance to play around with it until early November. I think what I am going to do is, install it on my HTPC, format it to exFAT and install Win7 x64. I have to check but I thought TRIM support is at the OS level (which Win7 natively support). Does it require firmware level support also?

Posted: Oct 16th, 2009 12:50 pm
by mfrania
Thanks for the info guys... and according to this post the new firmware is ready.

Posted: Oct 16th, 2009 5:02 pm
by Dave98
torseller07 wrote: I got the OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD from newegg.ca sales last month (was $227 shipped before USD 30 MIR). I don't have the chance to play around with it until early November. I think what I am going to do is, install it on my HTPC, format it to exFAT and install Win7 x64. I have to check but I thought TRIM support is at the OS level (which Win7 natively support). Does it require firmware level support also?
Yes, it does. The firmware is out though so it shouldn't be a problem.