None
[OP]
Apr 19, 2004
662 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Filing a formal complaint about a doctor in Ontario

hi Guys:
Long story short I had a horrible run in with a family doctor about three years ago. My biggest fear is that he is going to really screw somebody over one day due to his oversights and unprofessional manner.

Has anybody filed a formal complaint with regards to care received from a doctor? I see cp24 has some guidelines (http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/ ... t-a-doctor) on how to proceed but at the same time I don't want this doctor coming after me in the future and trying to murder me.

The doctor in question is this guy:
http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/8 ... Chung-Tack

Long story short I went to him 3years ago b/c I had an occasional pain in my abdomen. He kept on telling me to come in when it hurt, and whenever I did he felt around a bit and then made some notes and told me to come back...come back...come back...

Well after 2-4 visits and the same answer I finally gave up and went to a walk-in clinic. The doctor immediately ordered an ultrasound and took me on as a patient after hearing the ordeal I had been through. Wouldn't you know I was days away from a potential emergency related health issue (I don't feel like going into the exact details due to keeping some privacy on this internet forum.)

Anyway I'm all fixed up now but I was young when this happened, and I fear that somebody else might get into a bad situation with this quack...especially because it's hard to find a family doctor these days but he is actively recruiting.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!
Share:
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5776 posts
20 upvotes
" This doctor is a walking time bomb. He has a severe lack of memory, and wastes his ten minutes with you trying to read his past notes because he forgets absolutely everything. He also has serious anger management issues. I have seen him verbally abuse his assistant on more than one occasion.. and amazingly, she has incredible patience with him. He has also thrown me out of his office because I talked during our appointment, while he was reading the file. And on top of all this, this doctor shared my personal information with another patient without my permission! "

These rating systems cannot be trusted though, most people with good things to say won't make time to post it on the internet (let alone that site).
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1159 posts
149 upvotes
North York
The Complaints Process - The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario

http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/complain ... px?id=1772

This guy had his CPSO certificate since 1968 and he's still recruiting new patients? He must have a high turn-over rate (i.e. lots of smart patients are leaving him and finding new docs).

He's calling his patients back repeatedly so he can bill OHIP for it. It's a common practice by some dishonest docs who want to milk the system.

Hey OP, time you find yourself a new GP.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
goJays wrote:
Apr 8th, 2010 1:29 am
These rating systems cannot be trusted though, most people with good things to say won't make time to post it on the internet (let alone that site).
As if a single positive review would somehow offset the allegations of general incompetence.

Are you kidding me? This isn't a restaurant we're reviewing here.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1794 posts
177 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Apr 8th, 2010 4:44 pm
As if a single positive review would somehow offset the allegations of general incompetence.

Are you kidding me? This isn't a restaurant we're reviewing here.
He's right. People who are unhappy with their experiences at the doctor will find a place to vent, and use that site (even in hopes that less people will visit this doctor - to get revenge). People with good experiences wouldn't bother to waste time to visit a site like that and write a full review (I definitely wouldn't bother, a good doctor doesn't need ratings).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8011 posts
1187 upvotes
London
Strategy wrote:
Apr 8th, 2010 5:12 pm
He's right. People who are unhappy with their experiences at the doctor will find a place to vent, and use that site (even in hopes that less people will visit this doctor - to get revenge). People with good experiences wouldn't bother to waste time to visit a site like that and write a full review (I definitely wouldn't bother, a good doctor doesn't need ratings).
I just looked up a couple of doctors I've had in the past; and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive, and accurate. While perhaps those with a bad experience are more motivated to post a comment, there seems to be a fair number of positive reports.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3775 posts
62 upvotes
my experience with the college of physicians and surgeons is that they are not very helpful and tend to close ranks.

i find it questionable and problematic that the same group that supposedly investigates and polices doctors is also an advocacy group for them. the concept of self-regulation is not accepted in many other professions, yet it is in medicine?

i wish you luck
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1923 posts
76 upvotes
I wonder if the OP is related to SoBored? :D
May 27, 2007
15655 posts
3043 upvotes
Toronto
what's up with people complaining about doctors lately?!
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13365 posts
688 upvotes
lol I just took a look at the rating of my family doc, they were really positive except one who said he is prejudice against fat people because whenever she went to see him and was sick he told her she needs to loose weight. So she left him for another doctor and now he doesn't mention it.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
2321 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
ur_funneh wrote:
Apr 8th, 2010 6:38 pm
I wonder if the OP is related to SoBored? :D
for that to be the case, OP would state that he was faking his stomach ailment...and the doctor would note this, and not provide treatment.

....of course the next logical step is to complain you didnt get treatment for something you didnt have :lol:
× < >