Filing Income Tax w/missing T4

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2008 5:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 31, 1969

Filing Income Tax w/missing T4

Could I do this without getting in any trouble with the government.

Long story short. I worked for this fast food franchise back in August. The job last approximatly a month. Its almost the second week of March and I still have no T4 from them.

I called them at the begining of the month and they told me they will give me a call when they go through their files and find my T4. Obviously it doesn't take that long to go through their files and find one T4 especially when every employee is getting them.

So what I wondering is if I could file my taxes without providing them a T4 for this place of employement. I know how much they deducted from me, and honestly the money that they deducted from me that I am supposed to get after I file my taxes I don't care about. Really all I want to do is just file them, I'll be honest with the government and tell them how much I made, paid in taxes, CPP and EI.

So could I do this? Or could I get a blank T4 sheet from my current employer or somewhere and just fill it in myself?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
36 upvotes
you need the T4 from them or else the CRA may kick your ass when there is a reassessment.

Just call that place of work again and ask for a T4.. if all else fails.. call the CRA and ask them for advice
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1910 posts
Toronto
Take a look at this thread... different reason for not having his T4 slip, however information regarding the missing T4 is the same.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=560190
As the poster before this one said - they are required to mail it out by the last day of February. If you haven't recieved it by March 7th, I would give them a call the following Monday. Do they have your proper address?

Also, here is a link from Revenue Canada that may be helpful.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...ps/menu-e.html
Note
If you know that you will not receive your slip by the filing due date, attach a note to your paper return stating the payer's name and address, the type of income involved, and what you are doing to get the slip. Use any stubs or statements you may have to calculate the income you have to report and any related deductions and credits you can claim. Attach the stubs or statements to your paper return. If you are filing electronically, keep all of your documents in case we ask to see them.
it is very useful. If employers have an obligation to get the T4 to the former employee by a certain date, then i assume that there are consequences for the former employer failing to provide the former employee with the T4. I am suggesting that the OP file a formal complaint, which could lead to some sort of reprimand/negative consequence for the employer.

also, calling them and telling them that the T4 is late should result in them taking the situation more seriously.

in case you don't know, employers often screw terminated employees around and delay, or "forget" the appropriate tax documentation (ROE, T4), so it is entirely possible that this is an intentional act.
:o please ignore my ... negative comments ... they don't contribute to the topic...
[OP]
Dec 31, 1969
Piccolo wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2008 5:23 pm
Also, here is a link from Revenue Canada that may be helpful.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individual ... enu-e.html
Note
If you know that you will not receive your slip by the filing due date, attach a note to your paper return stating the payer's name and address, the type of income involved, and what you are doing to get the slip. Use any stubs or statements you may have to calculate the income you have to report and any related deductions and credits you can claim. Attach the stubs or statements to your paper return. If you are filing electronically, keep all of your documents in case we ask to see them.

According to the note posted there under the link to Revenue Canada. I could file the my income tax without attaching the T4. And just attach a slip of paper with all the information and my pay stub.

So I could do this without getting in any trouble the CRA? Will I eventually have to mail them the slip if I get it?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
1910 posts
Toronto
IoannI wrote:
Mar 9th, 2008 3:37 am
According to the note posted there under the link to Revenue Canada. I could file the my income tax without attaching the T4. And just attach a slip of paper with all the information and my pay stub.

So I could do this without getting in any trouble the CRA? Will I eventually have to mail them the slip if I get it?
*i think* you would also have to show that you have actively made an effort to get the T4 slip. I would suggest calling CRA to find out exactly.
[OP]
Dec 31, 1969
Piccolo wrote:
Mar 9th, 2008 3:44 am
*i think* you would also have to show that you have actively made an effort to get the T4 slip. I would suggest called CRA to find out exactly.
Maybe if I call the CRA and tell explain to them the situation then they might see that as making an effort to get the slip. Cause honestly, I did make the effort. I called and they told me they will call me back, I left that job on bad terms so I don't like calling them. But I called them cause I want to send my tax return out as soon as possible.

Like I've said I have no problem reporting my income, I have no intentions on trying to scam the government.

I'm gonna definatly give the CRA a call, hopefully on Monday. But if I don't get a change on Monday then Tuesday morning for sure.

You probably won't know but what type of evidence do you think I would have to provide to show that I made the effort to get the slip?
Jan 22, 2008
271 posts
14 upvotes
Burlington
You have tow viable & legal options:

1> Estimate your income and include it on your return. You will get a notice of reassessment and will have to call the CRA to tell them the amount of your estimate (that is when you get the notice of reassessment).

2> Call the CRA and ask them for the amounts from your employers T4. Chances are they have it nowor will have it very shortly.

You cauld also call your employer and ask for a copy.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3558 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
This is why you keep all your paystubs through the year.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1563 posts
33 upvotes
your last pay stub from them or at the end of the year, should be the same as the T4.

if you quit during the year, the last pay advice they send you will have the same information you will have on your T4
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4453 posts
594 upvotes
Sonbuster wrote:
Mar 9th, 2008 3:55 pm
your last pay stub from them or at the end of the year, should be the same as the T4.

if you quit during the year, the last pay advice they send you will have the same information you will have on your T4
Not always - there are others things, such as LTD and life insurance taxable benefits that "could" be included in box 14 that do not show up on the T4 (maybe not the the case of a fast food joint). I know what I am doing when it comes to taxes - I always estimate my return before I get my T4. I have yet to be correct by estimating from my last pay-stub.

The employer has a legal responsibility to provide a T4 by February 28th each year and should provide it when requested.
[OP]
Dec 31, 1969
MacGyver wrote:
Mar 9th, 2008 3:31 pm
This is why you keep all your paystubs through the year.
Ohh I have all my stubs. Its only one pay stub that I got from them.
Sonbuster wrote:
Mar 9th, 2008 3:55 pm

yeah I quit the same month I started. So during the year. On my last pay I recieved a pay stub as well as seperation papers.
[OP]
Dec 31, 1969
TopTaxGuy wrote:
Mar 9th, 2008 2:23 pm
You have tow viable & legal options:

1> Estimate your income and include it on your return. You will get a notice of reassessment and will have to call the CRA to tell them the amount of your estimate (that is when you get the notice of reassessment).

2> Call the CRA and ask them for the amounts from your employers T4. Chances are they have it nowor will have it very shortly.

You cauld also call your employer and ask for a copy.

Well if I choose option 1 then I wouldn't estimate. I know the exact amount.

As for option 2 I didn't know the CRA had the information thats why I thought you had to include a T4 so they can see how much you made..etc..

Calling them is getting me nowhere. Just "I'll call you back when I find it"
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3558 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
Since you have a pay stub, the amounts on that paystub are what you can use in your income tax return. There is a remote possibility that there may be some deductions not recorded on there, but as you worked at a fast food place, I doubt it. Even if there are, you can file an adjustment later - and the difference in tax owing would probably be pocket change. And if you owe or are owed $2 or less, CRA will not bother.

You should file a complaint with the CRA that your employer is not providing you with a T4. Then if CRA ever asks you for that missing T4, there will be something on file that you reported it.
[OP]
Dec 31, 1969
Well I actually spoke to the CRA this morning. They were helpful but not they weren't that great. I felt that my question was getting rushed and that I couldn't really ask anything else.

Basically they told me what is mentioned above. Attach a note with all the information on it and explain to them what I did to get the T4 slip.

The rep didn't really seem to want to answer any other questions I had. Like what kind of proof do I need to provide them with, in regards to me trying to get the slip? If I will have to provide a T4 later on? Will they take the responsibility in getting the T4? Things like that.

You know the only other thing that I could think of why I am not getting a T4 from them is that I got paid from a seperate bank account, not the one they use for payroll etc.. Which it really does not play out since the compay name on the cheque matches up with the company name on the separation papers as well as in the phone book.

I'm also having my lawyer, who is a cousin of mine, contact them for my T4. Hopefully they will agree to give me my T4.

They didn't deduct any tax from me. Only EI and $20 for uniform which they call advance.
So I have my pay + vacation pay - 20 - EI.
× < >