Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
236 posts
22 upvotes

Filing Taxes...please help with this question

I have always got a place to do my taxes, but am determined to use a free software to do it myself this year and file online. How do I go about including for verification activities receipt e.g. daycare, sports etc for my filing for CRA if my plan is to file electronically?

Thanks for your help.
14 replies
Mar 3, 2009
699 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You keep all documentation. If it is requested by the CRA, then you mail it in.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
236 posts
22 upvotes
So what you are saying is...I just input the amounts during filing, and they take my word for it???
dr_torch wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 12:55 pm
You keep all documentation. If it is requested by the CRA, then you mail it in.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1444 posts
307 upvotes
springy wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 1:00 pm
So what you are saying is...I just input the amounts during filing, and they take my word for it???
Pretty much. They will decide (randomly or however they do it) if they need to see it, and if they do they will ask.
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
216 upvotes
EDMONTON
springy wrote:
Yep
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23671 posts
8642 upvotes
Toronto
it sounds like you are ready to put in some huge deductions thru :D

just keep mind CRA can make your life miserable if they want to review/reassess your return. CRA will deem you a liar until you have proven your claim.

springy wrote:
[OP]
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
236 posts
22 upvotes
No huge deductions..just activities for 1 child, and as I mentioned in my OP..I have always got a place like H&R block to do it for me, but I want to do it myself this year using one of the free online softwares

booblehead wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 1:14 pm
it sounds like you are ready to put in some huge deductions thru :D

just keep mind CRA can make your life miserable if they want to review/reassess your return. CRA will deem you a liar until you have proven your claim.
Oct 24, 2011
623 posts
178 upvotes
Timmins
Tax prep businesses also file electronically and keep the hard copy receipts in your file. They only get sent to CRA if a review is requested. The same applies to an individual who files electronically; keep all your backup in a file just in case you get a review letter down the road.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
236 posts
22 upvotes
Thanks every that replied so far. I am not prepared to pay the money-grabbing $59.99 (more than the price of a software) some of these places are charging. So which of all the free online tax filing software do you guys recommend that is user friendly and hassle free?
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
216 upvotes
EDMONTON
springy wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 2:56 pm
Thanks every that replied so far. I am not prepared to pay the money-grabbing $59.99 (more than the price of a software) some of these places are charging. So which of all the free online tax filing software do you guys recommend that is user friendly and hassle free?
StudioTax is pretty good. It's a free desktop program that works similar to TurboTax.
Jan 29, 2015
29 posts
1 upvote
York, ON
Used StudioTax for few years and pretty happy so far.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1371 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you register for My Account, and get a letter from the CRA asking for proof, you can upload scans of your proof. You can also fax material to the CRA.

Whatever you do, do not mail originals to the CRA. They don't want them, and if the mail gets lost, now you have no proof.
Jan 29, 2015
29 posts
1 upvote
York, ON
Used Studio tax for past few years and pretty happy so far