None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13271 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto
eclone wrote:
May 9th, 2018 11:48 am
Unless you're *from* the Philippines where you had Jollibee and enjoyed it, I don't see why anyone would bother going even if there's no line. If you want fried chicken, there are tons of other options with much better sides. Everything else on the menu looks disgusting.
I am Canadian, born here and raised here.
I'm willing to give the place a chance.
The food does not *look* disgusting to me.
I hope it doesn't disappoint when I finally get a chance to give it a try.
Feb 18, 2018
11 posts
25 upvotes
I don't understand why so much hate about this place in this thread. There are members who are already made their negative comments about the place and to people who like the to go and try the food, and still keep on coming back on this thread (not even sure if they already tried the food). Not everyone has the same taste on food. I'm sure that we have different preference and we have to respect that. If people would like to line-up and eat at this place, that is their time and money not yours.

I will categorize the food at this place as comfort food.
Sep 30, 2001
27121 posts
6070 upvotes
Toronto
I seriously don't know what's wrong with the two of you ( @EastGTARedFlagger @playnicee1 ) , but clearly you ignored my previous warning. points all around it is.

EastGTA - we certainly get it by now. You don't like this place. Enough with the disparaging comments as it's just out right threadcrapping at this point.
playnicee1 - it's just a fast food place. don't get so worked up over other people's opinions

If either of you can't calm down I suggest you both ignore each other and this thread.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11050 posts
1296 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
bembol wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 7:37 pm

Overrated. Expensive. Mediocre.

Philippines was slightly better but then again also way cheaper. My boy spent $70 on 6 pieces of chicken, spaghetti, two hamburgers and 5 mango.

Sooo bottom line. Popeyes vs Jollibee. Which is better? Spicy and regular. Ratings for each.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jul 7, 2017
873 posts
293 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
at1212b wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 10:13 pm
Basically the place was 'run' by Americans (many servicemen there) since the early 1900s.
U.S. colony until after WW-II. Prize of the Spanish-American War of 1898 where the U.S. also won possession of Puerto Rico among others.
They got exposed to alot of the western food which is why they love Spam. Spaghetti too and of course the fried chicken. In fact, they fry alot of things (including whole pork shoulder type thing). But of course, along the way, the food changes.
Probably very similar to Asian-Hawaiian food (see Plate Lunches).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Jul 7, 2017
873 posts
293 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
at1212b wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 10:13 pm
Basically the place was 'run' by Americans (many servicemen there) since the early 1900s.
U.S. colony until after WW-II. Prize of the Spanish-American War of 1898 where the U.S. also won possession of Puerto Rico among others.
They got exposed to alot of the western food which is why they love Spam. Spaghetti too and of course the fried chicken. In fact, they fry alot of things (including whole pork shoulder type thing). But of course, along the way, the food changes.
Probably very similar to Asian-Hawaiian food (see Plate Lunches).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2036 posts
135 upvotes
Just an FYI, my gf went back on Saturday around noon. The lineup was an hour long.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1345 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 12:40 am
Here's my take on Jollibee (no I have never been) and why all these expat people are going apesh-t over disgusting spaghetti, crap burgers a step down from Burger King, and fried chicken that Popeye's can whup without eating a can of spinach first:

Let's say you're a Canadian living in Italy. You have (arguably) some of the world's best coffee bars and the world's best baked goods. You should be in foodie heaven, right?
But then Tim Horton's with their crap coffee and stale donuts opens in Italy. You'll be there with the rest of the expats, guaranteed...

Same thing with Jollibee. Jollibee isn't the McDonald's of the Philippines, it's the Tim Horton's of the Philippines. Crap product supported by blind patriotism.
I actually prefer drip coffee to the espresso (or espresso-style moka pot) that is more prevalent and favored in much of Italy and the rest of Europe.

Maybe not Tim's...but...LOL @ McDonalds being the premium comparison, people have ragged on me a lot for liking them. Well, it's time for me to go to the golden arches... Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

BTW, not that it's served in restaurants, but my parents grew up in the aftermath of the Korean War. My dad occasionally makes himself instant ramen with slices of hotdog (or Spam), a cracked egg, cabbage, and sometimes canned navy beans. It reminds him of the time when food was scarce and something like that would be considered deliciiiious. And I'm half a food snob, but those are all things that I like. So I can understand sentimentalism when it comes to food, I wouldn't put myself above that. Emotion is a strong influence of taste.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1562 posts
398 upvotes
Finally did it and tried Jollibee's only minutes ago. However, there is definitely still unfinished business for me. Why? I really wanted to try the spicy chicken, but my sister surprised me and dropped off a bucket of the mild chicken and all the rest of the goodies for me. I enjoyed the mild chicken and will definitely say it is more similar to Church's chicken, more so than Popeye's. Although both very similar. Enjoyed everything from the gravy to the spaghetti. The peach mango pie really is the bomb! Smiling Face With Sunglasses

If I don't go away for the long Victoria Day weekend, I may get in line this time and stick it out for my spicy chicken. My sister said she waited 45 minutes on a Monday evening.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1562 posts
398 upvotes
^ Mission completed today and I finally tried the spicy chicken. After trying the regular (mild) chicken on Monday night and not getting to sample the spicy chicken I was more determined than ever before to eat some spicy bird. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Anyway, I was so impressed by the spicy chicken that I will boldly state here that I like it more than Popeye's spicy chicken. This endorsement is coming from a non-Filipino who lives in downtown Toronto. It's more pricey than Popeye's, but that won't stop me from a return visit very soon. If I don't go to my friend's cottage for the long weekend, I know where I'll be this weekend! LOL

BTW, they don't have Coca-Cola and the soda fountain has Pepsi instead. That is my only complaint. Confused Face
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13271 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
May 16th, 2018 6:50 pm
I was so impressed by the spicy chicken that I will boldly state here that I like it more than Popeye's spicy chicken. This endorsement is coming from a non-Filipino who lives in downtown Toronto. It's more pricey than Popeye's, but that won't stop me from a return visit very soon. If I don't go to my friend's cottage for the long weekend, I know where I'll be this weekend! LOL

BTW, they don't have Coca-Cola and the soda fountain has Pepsi instead. That is my only complaint. Confused Face
I think Jollibee Canada has a contract with Pepsi Canada.
Thanks for your honest opinion.
I'm not really into spicy chicken (or spicy anything) so my opinion will be restricted to the mild chicken & other non spicy stuff on the menu.
I hope to give Jollibee a try soon. I'm still debating whether or not to wait in line for an hour or not, lol
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13271 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto
Jollibee is now only a one hour wait.

UPSELL ALERT!!! UPSELL ALERT!!!!
The $50 limit has been lifted, but instead of a 2 chicken bucket limit, there is still a 3 chicken bucket limit with no limit on spending for other menu items.
As a result of this, while waiting in line, I was constantly reminded of this new change and how there's still more on the menu if I'd like to add more food to my sheet.
(there is a menu to look at while in line, and a sheet that choices are marked down on)

So I gave Jollibee a try finally.
The Yum burger was a major disappointment. Cheese was paper thin.
The burger does not taste anything like a Wendy's burger. NOT even close.
I'm not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion.
It tasted more like something I once ate in a TV dinner. (I belive it was Banquet brand or something)
Maybe the Hula burger is better? I'm scared to find out now. lol

The mild chicken is okay. I have to agree that it's more like Church's chicken, not so much like Popeye's.
I gave the spicy chicken to a friend and...there's the winner!!
With a mouth full of chicken I was given the thumb's up!
Better than Popeye's or any other chicken place for being spicier.
My friend also tried a non spicy..."Needs the gravy to be good"
So, it was liked, even when not spicy chicken, but with some help.

The fries are nothing special. Good for being shoestring, but the taste is not all that great.
Maybe I should have chosen the corn or mashed potato with gravy....maybe next time, if there is a next time...

Spaghetti passes as being good, but I seem to like it better cold...I stand alone on that opinion, I know, but that's my preference.
It was okay hot, but the pasta itself is obviously some cheap low end store brand pasta they're using.
The sauce is very sweet. It reminds me of the sauce Old mill restaurant uses to pass off as ketchup for fries, but sweeter.
Too sweet to be called ketchup.

The Peach Mango pie is heavenly.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1966 posts
154 upvotes
Mississauga
My nephew was there the other day and was told that there are no limits from 7AM to 10AM only. So I take it that they changed it again when you visited the store.
--------------------------------------
slavka012 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 4:52 pm
.Net development is not IT. IT relates to maintenance of infrastructure, not development.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6957 posts
1356 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 11:52 pm
Jollibee is now only a one hour wait.
Only LOL

I'm not going until there's no wait.