None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5842 posts
1252 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:00 pm
100 in 5 years in Canada only? That's way too much and way too fast. There's a reason why ratio of Filipino restaurants to Filipino population is extremely low compared to nearly all other ethnic groups.
Yeppers
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2018 posts
1069 upvotes
yyz2hkg wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:56 am
Filipino fast food chain Jollibee to open 100 Canadian stores in next five years.
This is too bad. I'd rather they open 100 Smashburgers in Canada (they own that too). If Shake Shack and In-N-Out won't come to Canada, that's the next best option after Five Guys....

Worth noting there are only 22 Jollibees in all of California, which has more population than all of Canada (not to mention more affluent too). No way Canada can support 100 of them.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13448 posts
2234 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 7:08 pm
No way Canada can support 100 of them.
They should actually round up a building and split it into two. One for the Smashburger crowd and one for the Jollibee crowd.
The Jollibee spicy chicken is better than Popeye's. (too bad their regular chicken is just meh)
The Jollibee burger is not all that great anyway.
Send the chicken fans through one door and and the burger fans through the other.
That would work.
Oct 24, 2009
239 posts
50 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:00 pm
There's a reason why ratio of Filipino restaurants to Filipino population is extremely low compared to nearly all other ethnic groups.
What's the reason?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5690 posts
1296 upvotes
Markham
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:21 am
What's the reason?
I think they don't eat out a lot. It's expensive to eat out and a lot of their money is sent back home to Phililpines.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 24, 2009
239 posts
50 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:01 pm
I think they don't eat out a lot. It's expensive to eat out and a lot of their money is sent back home to Phililpines.
Interesting. Why would eating out cost more for them compared to other ethnicities? More labour intensive food? I wonder which ethnicity eats out the most.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13448 posts
2234 upvotes
Toronto
DelusionalDiva wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:15 pm
Interesting. Why would eating out cost more for them compared to other ethnicities? More labour intensive food? I wonder which ethnicity eats out the most.
Actually, I think that statement applies more directly to some of the other Philly places, like Jesse Jr. (Kennedy & Lawrence) etc.
Not so much to Jollibee. Fast food is fast food. Other Philly food is another story...
(& if they don't eat out a lot, what's with the huge long lines @ Jollibee anyway? lol)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8569 posts
321 upvotes
Finally had some today.

Its not the same as the original Jollibee you get in the Philippines.

Spaghetti was really good but the chicken(didnt try the spicy one) is mediocre. Popeyes and KFC is better.

Palabok was good too.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13448 posts
2234 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 2:07 pm
Spaghetti was really good but the chicken(didnt try the spicy one) is mediocre. Popeyes and KFC is better.
I'm not a spicy fan either, but my friends that are believe Jollibee has ten times better spicy chicken.
I'll gladly agree with you though that their regular chicken is nothing special.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10126 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto
The tent is gone. Yesterday, there were only a few people outside in line around 6pm so I think it's safe to say, the hype has died down. Although on a weekend, dinner time, it probably will still be busy.
Jul 3, 2007
234 posts
9 upvotes
I tried it yesterday. Took about 5 minutes to order (just finished raining). Was not a fan of the chicken, fries, palabok or spaghetti. I did like the mash potatoes. definitely will not be going back.
2012 Wins
3 wins for $38.42
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13448 posts
2234 upvotes
Toronto
johntdsb wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 8:44 am
I tried it yesterday. Took about 5 minutes to order (just finished raining). Was not a fan of the chicken, fries, palabok or spaghetti. I did like the mash potatoes. definitely will not be going back.
To be clear, was that the spicy chicken or regular chicken? It would seem that most of the happy returning customers are those who prefer spicy chicken.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1968 posts
155 upvotes
Mississauga
playnicee1 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 1:05 pm
Actually, I think that statement applies more directly to some of the other Philly places, like Jesse Jr. (Kennedy & Lawrence) etc.
Not so much to Jollibee. Fast food is fast food. Other Philly food is another story...
(& if they don't eat out a lot, what's with the huge long lines @ Jollibee anyway? lol)
I can only speak about my own family and some of my friends. We eat out a lot but we don't go to Filipino restaurants. We cook the same dishes at home and it is always much better. Also, we like trying out other cuisines.

On the subject, I don't like Jollibee's spicy chicken. It is just the regular with spices sprinkled on the skin. Popeyes' is much better even for the mild one. The spaghetti is soggy for the 2 times I tried it. I grew up eating at this fastfood restaurant and I don't like it as much now. Simply because I tried something better. The only ting on the menu that I will line up for is the peach mango pie. My friend and I were thinking to partner for a franchise, but I am no longer interested. I don't think it is going to be profitable especially if they open 100 stores, which I think they won't do. They will stop at around maybe 15 to 20 due to lack of demand.
--------------------------------------
slavka012 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 4:52 pm
.Net development is not IT. IT relates to maintenance of infrastructure, not development.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13448 posts
2234 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not going back until they start selling Sarsi.
If they're looking for every possible excuse to be different from other fast food places, that's one good way to be serious about it.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1621 posts
424 upvotes
Can't wait to attend my friend's Jollibee World Cup pool party this afternoon Spain vs. Portugal. Had Jollibee's 5 times in the month of May and today will be my first time for the month of June. He bought both regular and spicy buckets for his guests and one entire spicy bucket has my name on it. Smiling Face With Sunglasses I already told some of my friends that will be having Jollibee's for the first time today that they will not be impressed by the "regular". It's the spicy which is the bomb and it's not even that hot. If it's too hot for some guests, we will be throwing some of my friends into the swimming pool to cool off. LOL
Last edited by Mr_Fanta on Jun 15th, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.